Is this right?

I'm trying another new fo and right now I'm watching it burn for the first time. It is a 3 x 3 pillar. It is leaving a 1 centimeter or 1/2 inch rim all the way around - evenly. Shouldn't it be burning closer to the edge?

Also...what can I do with the candles I have made that just weren't right? Can I melt them down and add more FO and try again or do I have to throw them away? I'm using paraffin blend IGI 4625.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is that your first burn on the pillar? I've found that with most of my pillars the way I wick them I need to burn for at least 4 or 5 hours at a time to get the best results.

As for the candles that didn't turn out right yes you can remelt them. I wouldn't think you would have to add any more fo if they strong enough now.

HTH

Thank you.

Yes, it is my first burn. I'm at school (teacher) so I've been watching it burn for about 2 hours. It smells pretty but not nearly as strong as I wish.

I made a couple last weekend and tested... It didn't make a rim at all. Ran over sides and pooled. What is this a symptom of? Too much FO or wrong wick? I think the FO was Pear Glace' from Cajun.

Thank you again.

Sounds like your wick is too big. Wick down a size and on the 2 hour burn let it keep burning and see what you have for a shell after say 3 to 4 hours. You should burn it for at least 3 hours at a time that will tell you if it's going to run over or keep a thin shell.

What size and type wick are you testing with?

You are most welcome.

I wish I could see these simple truths that some people seem to see, like spill-overs being caused by too big a wick. I don't understand if they're derived from testing and experience or just assumed. Unfortunately my world has ended up being more complicated.

There's one thing about spill-overs I can say with absolutely certainty. They happen when the rate of wax melting is high and the rate of wax consumption is low. The hot wax accumulates in the melt pool faster than it's used up, until the side of the candle sags and breaks open.

What variables are most responsible in any particular instance of a spill-over isn't predictable in my sadly complicated world. Each candlemaker has to diagnose their own case.

Fragrance oil isn't irrelevant by a long shot. It tends to make the wax melt faster. It also affects the wick by changing the burn rate one way or another, and sometimes can clog the wick.

A wick that's too small can contribute to a spill-over because it's not consuming wax fast enough. That may be the biggest cause of spill-overs in smaller diameter pillars and certainly tapers. A similar case is a big wick that isn't burning properly because it's flooded by wax, or clogged because of fragrance and/or additives.

I suppose a large wick that's burning properly can cause a spill-over by melting wax too fast, but I've actually never seen that with my own eyes. Once a big wick melts out to the edge the candle, the flame is large and using up wax as fast as it can melt.

I agree with top in the case of 2 much fo. When I was testing pillars, I found too much fo to be the problem at every turn. What was strange to me was that , Pink Sugar for instance a thicker fo would work with the exact same wick as my thinner fo's. But all the other heavier fo's burned differently. An a lot of the discussion about the fo load of 1343 lately has been a god send. Pillars ,especially Rustics or more for decorating than for scent throw. But I do get good scent throw if I am burning the set. Really try to find the threads about fo load for 1343 it may help you a bit with the problems you are having.