LLC question

sharpie

Hello, im new here, and i am in the beginning stages of starting my own company. When I was looking up information on LLC i noticed something said about "in order to do business in other states, you must file in each state you wish to do business with, and pay taxes specific to each state"

does this mean if I sell product in other states I have to do this?:undecided

Hi Sharpie,

You don't register your business in each state. You should register your business in your state and county. You should have a certificate of authorization from your state to collect sales tax. If you ship your products to another state, the buyer does not pay sales tax. If you sell or ship your products in your own state, you should collect sales tax from the buyer. If you wholesale your products you don't collect sales tax, but you should get that business owners tax ID for use in your income tax filing.

You'd only have to register in another state if you were physically setting up a business there. HTH

And that concludes todays lesson...:grin2:

• 4 months later...

If it is their business, and they're selling your soaps, THEY register their business, collect taxes, etc. If you open a 2nd store, and it's YOUR STORE (like a chain or franchise), then YOU register in that state, collect taxes, etc.