Wholesale Decision

LynnS

Getting ready to come up with a letter for wholesale.Would like decisions/ideas on that.Also do you put your pricing on these letters to give them a idea up front or do that when they inquire about wholesale.I am reasonable and did send out 10 letters a few years ago and did give them a idea.No calls back BUT this time I am going to call them.I know that might have been a mistake.But they had prices etc and must not have been interested.IMO.

I know best to take these(letters/samples) in BUT I will be going 25-30 miles.That direction is a better chance for me to get business.Also going to send to businesses 60 miles.I can get my husband take some(works in the area) BUT he is not professional and sorta doesn't know what to say and how to say it. He helps with candlemaking but when it comes to talking to people I am not sure.He says stupid things.

We will deliver if getting orders but just not all this driving for possibly nothing and if I take the letters myself I will get lost for sure.Direction challenged but will make it a point on how to get there if I get wholesale orders.

Ideas on letter and should I do it all in person when tryng to get the business.If within a few miles from me I would STOP in but the distance is

a difference for me.I will do what you think I should do.Just a little at a a time because I Have 37 places on my list.All different directions and most I have no idea where they are.

Thank You

LynnS

You shouldn't expect to get a response from only sending 10 letters. Maybe if you sent 100 you might get a response. Don't feel bad that no one contacted you.

Thirty-seven is not a lot of letters either. Did you have anyone review your letters before you mailed them? Not only is content important, but so is the format. (I see you didn't use spacing after puntuation in your post here.)

Stores receive postcards, letters, catalogs, samples and more in the mail everyday from companies trying to get them to buy their products. So you need to do something that will make yours stand out from the rest.

As a store owner, I hate for salespeople to show up unannounced--even if I already carry their lines. A letter from a company indicating they will place a follow-up call shortly is appreciated. I think you should have an introductory letter with a separate product list/price sheet attached that includes at least a couple of photos of your products.

Based on what you wrote, you have many years of experience in the craft apparently, so I would mention that in your introductory letter. Another thing to point out in your letter is that your product is locally made, which many shop owners find is a very good selling point for their customers. People love to buy things made in their home state or town.

Look at a map to find all of the street locations for the visits you would like to make. Then plug the address information into mapquest.com for turn by turn directions on how to get there. Plot all of the locations and divide them up according to direction (N,S, E or W). Then plan all of your traveling to a particular region on a certain day. Call to make appointments by telling shop owners that you will be in the area on whatever day and you would like to borrow 5 minutes of their time to leave a sample with them if you could. It's hard to turn down a free sample.

WOW very interesting answer. It has been many years since I went to school. In English classes I do not remember being told to leave a space after punctuation. I learned something today. Now I need to keep that in my head. In answering this I have had to check back. It is a HABIT after all these years.

I started sending out 10 only but didn't send samples. DA! they needed that. My idea is the 4 ounce JJ as a sample. I love tarts but doesn't show the way my candles burn/smell.

OK So I will be adding alot more stores to my list. I started out with 1 group of stores in a area and now will branch to another group of stores. Been doing candles for 4 years and come up with new things all the time after reading great posts. Just do shows,a couple weddings and a few charity events and recently a friend took things to work with her. I am going to send different things but she also has others she works with who make and sell candles.

THIS is going to take some time in getting the letter wrote and also in getting samples made. A couple weeks. You being a store owner knows what it is like having people come unannounced. One place I sent out a letter I knew they would not want to be interrupted. What beauty shop wants to be fixing hair and someone comes in with a letter and samples. That would go for all businesses. Don't want a letter and sample come in when waiting on a paying customer.

LynnS