2" Pillar Mold I need help

Okay my problem is I don't have any untabbed wicks the size I need for these little molds. The wick pins I have are way to big and I can't get them centered in the mold.

Is there anything else I could use so that I will have a hole in these pillars or am I going to have to put holes in them after I unmold them? I really don't want to do it this way because I'm not sure that I can get a straight hole down through it.

The only thing that I would have that I could heat up to do that with is the wick pin stem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would try to find a straight piece of thin sturdy wire.....if you don't have wire...you might try a turkey pin....you know the thing you close a bird up with. That is pretty small. Poke the thing through a piece of cardboard.....then put on top of the mold and check to see that it is centered. If by some chance the hole is too small....after you unmold the candle...heat the wire and keep pushing it into the hole so it melts the wax until you get a hole large enough to thread your wick through.....no guarantees here, but that is what I would use for my #0/5 SB wick....it is pretty small....I always go to my kitchen when in doubt and find all kinds of things that I use for candles. Does this make any sense? Donita Louise

On the same note (sort of), I have never used wick pins, just the sticky wax tabs. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. It might sound crazy, but any chance duct tape might work to plug the whole? I mean it works on everything else...Hope this isn't totally out there, I really think it could work.

I have heard of metal tape, no clue of what it is or where to get it. I'm sure Lowes has it, do I just ask where metal tape is (love to save any embarassment, as I tend to bring on enough without trying :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe:

How do you use it? Any help would be great! TIA

I use duct tape. It works great. Just have to make sure it comes up all the way around the edges of the mold. I've never had them leak even with the hottest pours. I found that the white duct tape seems to be better than the gray though.

I have used skewer sticks. I will stick the end into the wick hole and will use whatever means I have on hand for the size diameter mold I am using! Usually clothespins to hold the skewer in place! My wicks fit perfectly without too much room! Depending on the wax I use, I sometimes will spray my wooden skewers with a mold release to help the wax from sticking to the wood so I can remove it easily after the candle has set up!

HTH

God Bless,

Lynn

PS, BE SURE to use some sort of mold putty to the outside bottom of the mold to help prevent leaks and to help hold the wooden skewer in place on the botton!!

Metal tape is available at Walmart. It stays on the mold for a long time before needing to be replaced. If you want to plug the hole permanently....then use Goop. Just a little dab on the bottom of a clean mold and it will stay for years. You can peel it off with a heat gun if you ever decide to take it off.....or use a hot knitting needle to poke through it. I usually wick my molds with a rod and screw not the wick pin method. Just works better for my applications. Donita Louise