website design costs

Hillary

(I'm sure this has been discussed before but I didn't hit the right words when I did a search. Sorry.) I was wondering what the ballpark costs are when building a website. If I had someone design a really nice, professional looking website what would you guess the pricing might be? I know there would be quite a range depending on all the bells and whistles. I really have no idea. And then is there an annual fee or monthly fee for hosting and all that? -I'm only good at email and online shopping. I'm clueless when it comes to these things. :o Thanks for any enlightenment!

Guest EMercier

My vote is also for Handcraftmarket. Not a problem at all from it. Very east to setup and not expensive at all per month. SweetCam did my webset though. I wanted something custom, that I might get changed after I take new pictures. Hostely, you don't have to pay a lot to look really good and have a very nice quality. You just have to know what to put up there. HTH!

Okay, yeah. Thanks, that's all the stuff I don't get. I didn't realize there was a difference in all those things. So if I wanted to do a website from scratch, all original, not from a template then I probably would be looking at a couple hundred....? I'm such a dork about these things. I just want somebody to do it all for me so I don't have to learn it, lol.

My vote is also for Handcraftmarket. Not a problem at all from it. Very east to setup and not expensive at all per month. SweetCam did my webset though. I wanted something custom, that I might get changed after I take new pictures. Hostely, you don't have to pay a lot to look really good and have a very nice quality. You just have to know what to put up there. HTH!

I'll have to look at Handcraftmarket. Thanks! edited to add: Great website, very clean!

When I was a web developer fulltime, I would charge $25 per static page, $40 per script, and $100 for database design. All costs included graphic design, you could also hire me for custom graphic work by itself at a cost of $50/hour. This all was amazingly cheap at the time, but my work was top-notch and I had clients booked for months. Nowadays, you can get websites done for a fraction of the cost, but usually from some newbie in India with a second grade level understanding of English and a Frontpage fetish.

Do yourself a huge, huge favor and go with DIY. Her sites are much more professional and complete than HandCraftMarket. Also, with DIY, you get a real-charge shopping cart included. With HandCraftMarket, you will pay extra. DIY is much more cost effective. I believe DIY has a special going on now which makes it even better.

It will depend on what you are looking for in a site, and how much time you can devote to building it. My first site took forever, and I used Homestead. Wouldn't recommend them, the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Thus I took it down for a few years out of frustration.

I have a few friends and myself that are with Handcraft Market and love it.

Easy to use, and affordable. I couldn't be happier, and they are going to be adding some new things in the very near future. I have looked on the DIY site, they do have some great packages, but the additional items like a forum and a wholesale password protected area are going to cost you another 100.00.

http://www.diyestores.com/AdditionalServices.html

With Handcraft Market, you don't pay extra for these perks. :)

If you want a really nice, professionally designed website- that you don't have to do a thing with besides send pics and copy, I would recommend Red Lime for web design and Rebecca Picard for photography. Both are professionals and very good at what they do. Professional services however, carries a much higher price tag. It's all in what you want, how much time you have to spend doing it and the resources put in your budget for a website.

Thanks for all the info. I really need to get going on this. I thought I was on my way a couple months ago and...well, it just wasn't meant to be at that time. But now I want to do this but I think I'll need the most user friendly package. That, or, somebody to do the whole thing for me,Lol.

You guys are really inspiring. Every time I see a website or read about your sucesses I just feel that much more motivated to stick with it and keep moving forward. Thanks!

:wink2:

I am looking to switch websites right now and have looked at both Handicraft and diy. I'm waiting for next week when handicraft is changing to a new format and shopping cart. I'll probably go with them for the price and look of the other websites that people have with them on here. I don't like prim so it looks like I will have a better selection non-prim with handicraft. the new price is great also.

Thanks for all the info. I really need to get going on this. I thought I was on my way a couple months ago and...well, it just wasn't meant to be at that time. But now I want to do this but I think I'll need the most user friendly package. That, or, somebody to do the whole thing for me,Lol.

You guys are really inspiring. Every time I see a website or read about your sucesses I just feel that much more motivated to stick with it and keep moving forward. Thanks!

:wink2:

My personal opinion is that, while it's easier to have someone do the whole site for you, it's better if you are doing it yourself so you can change, add, take off things without having to wait for someone to do it for you. I have done it the hard way for many years, doing all my own graphics, html etc, but once I found a DIY type estore, I will save all the hard work for my family's personal website only lol.

I am in the process of setting my website with Prairieannie and am almost done and can't wait to see the final product. She has been so much help and I would say to give it a try. It is a lot of work and time but so worth it when you are done.

If you want a really nice, professionally designed website- that you don't have to do a thing with besides send pics and copy, I would recommend Red Lime for web design and Rebecca Picard for photography. Both are professionals and very good at what they do. Professional services however, carries a much higher price tag. It's all in what you want, how much time you have to spend doing it and the resources put in your budget for a website.

I second Cherie at Red Lime.

• 15 years later...

Hello! The website design cost depends on the complexity of your website, the number of features and the region where you hire UI/UX designers. In Europe (Estonia), a simple landing page can cost between $300 and $1,000, while a Netflix-like website design will cost around $8,400. There are five stages:
Immersion. Studying the client's business goals and project requirements.
Research. Review of existing technological solutions on the market, analysis of user behavior.
Wireframes. Creating a schematic representation of the future interface, showing essential elements of the website.
Visual style. Developing 2-3 visual concepts of the product.
Design. Preparing all the screens and their possible conditions.