Need advice on wicks

I have been making candles for about 7 months now and have tried different wicks and containers. Now that I am getting short on cash due to all the testing, I thought I would ask advice before I waste anymore of my ol' mans cash. I am using baby food jars and C-3 soy wax in some and parriffin in others. The dye I use is blocks. And I get fragrences from Candlesource.com. The wicks I bought from SS Country Dreams Co on ebay. The sizes I have tried are 3" RRD29 and 3" 36-24-24z and some other one I bought from ebay with my soy kit. I either get mushroomed wicks while burning or the wick burns down to fast and has a melt pool of about the size of a dime and goes out by the wax. My 2 questions are. What size wicks should be used for this size jar? The baby food jars are 4 oz. and the other question is, if I bought wicking on a spool is there a web sight I can find out how to wax them I would like to wax my own wicks to save money. I have tried to look it up but I guess I was having a blonde moment that day because I couldn't find it. LOL Any ideas? Please help!

When I was using the C-3 wax CD wicks worked best for me, I was very successful though with the C-3 so I ended up switching wax and now I am on my 3rd switch and I am finally happy 18 months later. testing and candle making is not a cheap hobby lol

I enjoy the CD wicks. I find them easy to wick up or down! Find a supplier near you for starters so you won't getted stripped for shipping. Try a sample pack to see if you like them you can usually get one at BCN, Lonestar or Natures Garden for around the same prices. And they will send you about 5-6 of each size. You can make your own but you still have to pay for the wicking which is different sizes and the tabs which still do add up. Plus you still have to dip the wicks so they burn properly. If you are willing go through that much more work when you can take that extra time to test. Zinc's are not usually recommended for soy wax and RRD's do mushroom in container candles. Ebay might have someone wanting to get rid of CD's check it out but make sure you compare prices. I have noticed a lot of suppliers on ebay that are not that much cheaper than the suppliers that are highly recommended on candletech.