b & b suppliers

tammyc

I have been selling my candles for a while now and would like to break into bath and body products. I would like to start with lip balms and salves. Can somebody give me a lead on suppliers of things like shea butter, mica, and oils like aloe vera and vitamin E. Also, from what I have read, b&b products require EO instead of FO. Is this correct? I would like to start testing right away as I would like to start marketing by fall.

Tammy

B&B uses lots of FOs. You just have to make sure, especially when you're moving over from candle-making, that they're skin safe. Most companies let you know on their website. If you're going to use EOs, make sure you research ALL their properties, good and bad. Some are definitely not skin safe (like wintergreen), and other are phototoxic (a lot of the citrus oils - means you'll be more sensitive to the suns rays than normal, opposite of a sunscreen), and other have some pretty bad contraindications (such as Rosemary is very bad for anyone who has high blood pressure or other heart related issues, because it can RAISE blood pressure even more). And because website content is not regulated, cross check references on this kind of thing on several websites. You'll get a more accurate read on things that way.

For Oils, I'd definitely recommend Mike at Soapers Choice. I know there's another good oil supplier further east, but I'm in Utah, so the shipping was a killer. I unfortunately won't be able to be too much help with East Coast Suppliers. But I'm sure there are plenty of others who will jump in before too long!

I'm a faithful customer at www.gardenofwisdom.com which is the only supplier who will let you order a small amount of anything on their site so you can sample without going broke. No other supplier offers this personal service plus excellent prices, immediate shipping. Markey (the owner) makes b&b products & will gladly help with anything. Mention you are a board member.