Hurricane from paraffin?

no your best not adding any vybar or stearin as this will only make the candle whiter ( especially the stearin) and less opaque so the light will not shine through as good. It would be useless adding any of these as neither raise the melt point of the wax.

You will need to either find a high melt point wax - this is impossible in the U.K i have looked.

Or use an addative to raise the melt point- i use translusent crystals but even them tend to make the wax a bit too light( i can post some pics in the gallery if you want to have a look) Plus its really difficult to work with you have to heat it seperately to melt them then add add it to the wax at 200 degrees. Plus you have to order them from the US as havent been able to find them for sale here.

oh bum :( so theres nothing really to add.

I'll just have to go with the paraffin for now then. How do you test a hurricane? The last one I tested I burned a votive inside a glass holder within it for 3 hours.

It's a wedding pressie for this Thursday

If you have to use a lower melt point wax.....the only way I would do it is to make the hurricane shell a large one....like 5 inches....if you are smaller, then fill the middle of the cane half way up with wax so that the heat source is close to the top and the air. Then test it and see how it works. Donita Louise

no your best not adding any vybar or stearin as this will only make the candle whiter ( especially the stearin) and less opaque so the light will not shine through as good. It would be useless adding any of these as neither raise the melt point of the wax.

You will need to either find a high melt point wax - this is impossible in the U.K i have looked.

Or use an addative to raise the melt point- i use translusent crystals but even them tend to make the wax a bit too light( i can post some pics in the gallery if you want to have a look) Plus its really difficult to work with you have to heat it seperately to melt them then add add it to the wax at 200 degrees. Plus you have to order them from the US as havent been able to find them for sale here.

Have you tried www.fullmoons-cauldron.co.uk, they sell clear hurricane crystals under the additives section. I have been meaning to try these out for ages, but have got so much else on at the moment I cannot add another 'to try' project to my list.

Like Donita said...stick with a larger diameter, 5" or bigger and just use a tea light rather than a votive. If you don't make your cane too tall you should find that it works just fine (6" tall or less). Tea lights throw very little heat and even a 140 melt point will hold up with tea lights. You can at least get your feet wet this way until you can get a higher melt point wax or suitable additive. To keep the bottom of the cane safe you can put sand in the bottom to diffuse the heat. HTH

Janette