$120 Candle

Of course it is.....why in the world would anyone need to buy a Hummer?????? It just shows people how rich people buy stupid things. I guess if you are going on safari....then you would want one, but I haven't heard of any safari's in this country......

It starts young in life. You have to fit in. I remember begging my parents to let me buy Lanz dresses and Capizo shoes. They had five daughter to raise and it put the pressure on them.....I did buy them, but my mother made a lot of dresses for me that were as good or better than Lanz......but they didn't have the label. Wearing the actual label made me feel cool. I was about 11 years old when I started learning that people treated you differently if you had expensive things. Sad. Those things you learn when you are young stay with you when you are an adult......I still think it's cool to wear my Blue Cult jeans.....cost way too much so I don't own many....even bough some used on eBay.....so I bought in. But I wear cheap shoes. That way I can have lots. Also bough 50 pairs of earrings on eBay for $9.95....plus $30 shipping from China.....but that is still cheap. From a distance no one knows. I get compliments all of the time on them. If I were rich I guess I would buy more expensive ones. It would make me feel good to wear real silver or real gold.....but I am always losing one earring.....ever have that happen? Bummer.

Donita Louise

PS....remind me to mark up my candle prices.....seriously.

Good post! So true! BUT I would like to have a Hummer because they are so cool!!!!! :yay:

My daughter has concurred with your post as she owns a boutique. She carries expensive clothing. I wouldn't pay those prices!!!!

I guess I'm the only person who doesn't think it's stupid to buy a $120.00 candle. Heck, as much research and time as I've put into my candles I would feel perfectly content to charge $200.00 for them. Of course, my customers might feel different.:wink2:

The fact of the matter is if people are willing to pay high dollars for candles then that is their choice. I think a lot of chandlers really undervalue their time and effort when evaluating their candles. I spent two years of research before selling a single candle, and of course I research every day. I think that's worth something. Maybe not $120.00 but I'll be danged if I sell them for cheap.

I guess I'm the only person who doesn't think it's stupid to buy a $120.00 candle. Heck, as much research and time as I've put into my candles I would feel perfectly content to charge $200.00 for them. Of course, my customers might feel different.:wink2:

The fact of the matter is if people are willing to pay high dollars for candles then that is their choice. I think a lot of chandlers really undervalue their time and effort when evaluating their candles. I spent two years of research before selling a single candle, and of course I research every day. I think that's worth something. Maybe not $120.00 but I'll be danged if I sell them for cheap.

You hit the nail on the head, it's all about preference.

What your market will bear, and how you can price your products logistically.

Never sell yourself short. I'd buy an expensive candle for the pretty packaging and research purposes in a second. Doesn't make anyone a snob, IMO.

Donita ,I have found that to be true I own a shop If something isn't selling mark it half price;) people don't even look at it double the price and the next customer walks in and buys it:laugh2: OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO GET THEM TO COME IN FIRST :undecided which I have found to be the hardest part in a small town ,people are so use to driving 40 miles to get what they want that they don't even look close to home:cry2: hope that changes for me soon or i will be driving 40 miles again:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I found that if you stand in front of your store and trip them...but act like you didn't do it....then offer them assistance...bring them in to lie down and place a pillow under their head.....when they get up they feel so grateful they are sure to buy something. Just a thought. Seriously....the best business I did was when I had a kiosk at the mall......just by walking by they were "in my store"......I made a lot of money in those days. Having a retail store...that was always a problem. My father was in advertising and he said the most important thing is to get a customer to come into your store for the first time......then there is a great chance that they will come back....he also said the most important word is FREE.......

The longer this thread goes on the more money I want for my candles. Probably won't get it but I want more...(smile)....sometimes I think they are worth gold....but people say....it's just a candle. Well....you try it....I say...it isn't just pouring wax into a milk carton. I thought it was at first then I realized that this is science. So the more you learn the more you are worth. I do love the science as well as the art. I think I am better at the art. The science confuses me.....it gets very complicated but I am trying to learn about the molecules. Donita Louise

I say we all write in to the O mag and ask....

Do these candles tunnel? Do they hang up on the edges? Do they throw well at all? How far do they throw? How is the cold throw? Do they fade in sunlight? How long do they burn? Can you get 80hrs out of one?

Etc... etc... etc....

Then say, oh nevermind... I'll just keep making my own. At least I know they do all these things as they should.

:D

I found that if you stand in front of your store and trip them...but act like you didn't do it....then offer them assistance...bring them in to lie down and place a pillow under their head.....when they get up they feel so grateful they are sure to buy something. Just a thought. Seriously....the best business I did was when I had a kiosk at the mall......just by walking by they were "in my store"......I made a lot of money in those days. Having a retail store...that was always a problem. My father was in advertising and he said the most important thing is to get a customer to come into your store for the first time......then there is a great chance that they will come back....he also said the most important word is FREE.......

The longer this thread goes on the more money I want for my candles. Probably won't get it but I want more...(smile)....sometimes I think they are worth gold....but people say....it's just a candle. Well....you try it....I say...it isn't just pouring wax into a milk carton. I thought it was at first then I realized that this is science. So the more you learn the more you are worth. I do love the science as well as the art. I think I am better at the art. The science confuses me.....it gets very complicated but I am trying to learn about the molecules. Donita Louise

Donita,

You're a riot!!!

I say we all write in to the O mag and ask....

Do these candles tunnel? Do they hang up on the edges? Do they throw well at all? How far do they throw? How is the cold throw? Do they fade in sunlight? How long do they burn? Can you get 80hrs out of one?

Etc... etc... etc....

Then say, oh nevermind... I'll just keep making my own. At least I know they do all these things as they should.

:D

Just because it is an expensive candle or O promotes it, it does not really automatically mean that it is a badly made candle. I think it is a mistake to think all big companies make bad candles, you simply don't know that. :wink2:

I used to be very quick to critize any candles I saw in stores that have a mass-produced look, and then I realised at least theirs are on the shelve and selling (even if only because people don't know better) and mine are not, so who is the idiot in the equation?

I was only echoing the point of everyone else here...or most... that just because it costs so much doesn't mean it is worth it... or very great or even good at all. Not saying it ISN'T... please understand....only that the price alone doesn't tell you anything and that when someone raves about something they should know WHY it's so great. That's all I meant to say. Because if people knew what makes a candle great all you sellers of home crafted candles would be a lot richer.:D

Because if people knew what makes a candle great all you sellers of home crafted candles would be a lot richer

Your right about that!

It depends on your market area. Charging more might work in your area. If there are a ton of candlemakers selling in your area that aren't charging the prices you have in mind then it might be a turn off to customers.

I also use to be very critical concerning candles other than my own. Then I heard another candlemaker being very rude and cruel in her comments to someone that was just starting out. She actually laughed at the person products. I realized that we all might have a bit of prejudice regarding our candles and forget that we once were new to this. JMO but there is no such thing as a perfect wax or candle. I always find something that I wish I could improve. I do check out the competition and I do purchase many of the name brand candles from time to time. You know what? Some of them are really good! I burned a very small votive from one of those designer candle guys that scented my entire first floor. Not one of mine has ever done that! Now I would never spend 120.00 on any candle but considering all of the time and effort I put into testing I wish I could charge $120.00 for a candle and actually sell it!

I was only echoing the point of everyone else here...or most... that just because it costs so much doesn't mean it is worth it... or very great or even good at all. Not saying it ISN'T... please understand....only that the price alone doesn't tell you anything and that when someone raves about something they should know WHY it's so great. That's all I meant to say. Because if people knew what makes a candle great all you sellers of home crafted candles would be a lot richer.:D

Point taken - and it is a good one. I am just saying we are quick to think that these companies don't make the quality candles we do (and I am just as guilty of that) but that just simply might not be the case - and (at least in my case) smacks of a bit of professional jealousy.

They might be candlemakers just like you or me who simply had the guts to contact Opera. I often have those ideas, but following through on it takes a lot of guts. So I say "good for them"!