$120 Candle

Leave it to Oprah to sniff out the expensive ones. I think we should we shocked to come across one of ours and find out what quality really is. I remember she promoted Trapp a while back. I find nothing remarkable about those candles.

It just says they are made from soft wax. So I am assuming it paraffin. The British are very big on Paraffin for body treatments so I wouldn't expect them to promote vegetable waxes. France would before they would.

other than the packaging, I don't think they are that special, but they will sell because of O.

PamR

I agree, the box is pretty fancy. I have no clue what the container might be worth but we all have a good idea what the wax, wick, color and fo is worth. I bet they sold a ton of them since the article was published.

Click on "The Cabin".....these people sell in a store where I am going to be selling my embedded bear candles..... These people sell a lot of candles and they even have one that retails for $160.00....just a larger hurricane with some trees painted with wax on it. The owner of the store told me she sells lots of candles. Tourists spend money when on vacation. Donita Louise

http://www.tahoecandle.com/

Yes, that IS an outragous amount of money for a candle. In addition to posting here, we ALL should email Oprah about what we all do! I think it is VERY important to let her know that there are "mom and pop" candlemakers that create beautiful and safe products for a reasonable price. If we want people to take interest in what we do (I personally don't sell yet b/c I am new), HOMEMADE QUALITY candles, we need to point out to people who think a $150 candle does not mean squat! If you think I am out of line, okay, but if you agree, please connect to this link and let Oprah know. I do think she's a great lady and maybe she just doesn't know there are so many awesome candlemakers like us out there. Just my two cents...I mean $200 worth :D

Here's the link and please let us know your thoughts.

http://www.oprah.com/email/email_landing.jhtml

When I really stop and think about it, with her income and other folks like her, they can pretty much afford it. 120 bucks is a drop in the hat to them-pocket change. Those folks shop on a totally different level than I do, that's forsure. You know the old saying: the more you make the more you spend and I am guilty of that one myself. Just one look at all the fo, wicks and containers that I have will tell you that much. She does give to charity and that's great but she also deserves (IMO) to spend the money she has earned on what she likes and she likes spendy candles. Now, if she could spend some in our direction...

:D

Click on "The Cabin".....these people sell in a store where I am going to be selling my embedded bear candles..... These people sell a lot of candles and they even have one that retails for $160.00....just a larger hurricane with some trees painted with wax on it. The owner of the store told me she sells lots of candles. Tourists spend money when on vacation. Donita Louise

http://www.tahoecandle.com/

Those candles look pretty good to me but I don't know a thing about luminares. They seem kinda pricey. Most folks that go to Tahoe have a dollar or two. ;)

I hope you sell the heck out of yours Donita. :yay:

Seems like bears never completely go out of "style".

Apparantly my thoughts aren't shared by many, b/c over 300 people have visted this site, but only a few share responses, none which have even acknowleged my post. If you think I'm way off base, let me know. But why can any of you complain about "big business" (without becoming too political, I'm not against) if you won't even give your two cents?

Please forgive me if I am out of line because I certainly do not mean to offend you. Are you upset that the people here have not chosen to e-mal Oprah about our candle products? This is just my opinion but since you asked...You have a good point about big business and celebrity endorsements such as Oprah. Most of those type of TV shows promote numerous products the average person can not afford. I saw one that really pushed a anti-aging product that is very exclusive and the name of the celebrities that swear by it. I believe it cost near 1,000 an ounce. So Oprah isn't doing anything that most of those shows aren't already doing.

My opinion is it's Oprah's money and Oprah's show and if she likes and wants to promote a $120.00 candle, good for her. That isn't going to hurt me because most of my customers wouldn’t or couldn't spend that type of money on a candle in the first place. So I won't be losing any sales based on anything Oprah promotes. The type of customer that would normally purchase such an extravagant product such as that candle is not normally the type of customer that shops for handcrafted products. Sometimes(not always)it's about the designer label or the exclusive store or name brand. They want a product from Nordstroms, Sax, Neiman Marcus...it might not be any better than one from Sears but it came from an expensive store. I could argue forever that my candles are better quality and it wouldn't matter to that customer.

I do however think I see your point about letting Oprah know that quality products are available by women who are handcrafting equally if not better candle products. It doesn't have to cost 120.00 to be a great quality product. I applaud your effort!

Apparantly my thoughts aren't shared by many, b/c over 300 people have visted this site, but only a few share responses, none which have even acknowleged my post. If you think I'm way off base, let me know. But why can any of you complain about "big business" (without becoming too political, I'm not against) if you won't even give your two cents?

I don't think that you are out of line, but due keep in mind that companies like this spend hundreds of thousands, if not millions on product development, advertising and packaging. Big business usually means big dollars. I don't discount a quality, handcrafted candle~ by any means. But to believe a few thousand "compliant" emails from a candlemaking forum is going to make a different on what Oprah likes is positively absurd, IMO. Candles that get high dollars help the candle industry- its all about perceived value.

I personally could care less what Oprah likes, either could my customers.

There are many, many people out there that wouldn't pay LESS for a candle, believe it or not. They are conditioned to paying more for things and have no reason to shop for anything according to price. I am sure this is what this companies target market is, not Target or drugstore chains. Not everyone can afford such luxuries. But the ones that can wouldn't blink an eye. Even if they saw the same damn candle for half the price, they would be compelled to buy the higher priced one.

They equate lesser cost with lesser value. Not always the smart decision, but the mindset exists. Especially in Europe where things are very costly as compared to what we pay for the same item.

I've never been an Oprah fan, personally.

Her target market is basically female, of all ages. Most of the people she helps to get better educated and into more favorable working/living conditions could never in a million years afford a candle that cost 120.00.

So to me, she is just blowing wind about something this companies marketing team sent her for free in a press release or highly orchestrated marketing ploy. Nothing more, nothing less.

More than likely Penhaligons paid for the media plug which defrays some of the production cost for airing the OW show. That's just business.

BTW, this company is major competition for me in my area. Penhaligons is the least of my worries!

http://www.circleecandles.com/Images/HomePage/Home_Main.jpg

http://www.circleecandles.com/Index.asp

Oprah has plugged smaller chandlers. One of her staff bought a candle at the French Market here in New Orleans and Oprah loved the scent so she gave one to all her audience members and mentioned the business on the show. The candles cost $12.00.;)

This thread made me think to something I was thinking a while back.

We know that many people see something very expensive and a strange thing happens, they think: if it costs so much it has to be precious/important/beautiful.

I know some people that think like that, so I was wondering about an experiment: choosing one type of candle of the ones we make and give it a very high price, and see what happens.

I don't think it's a bad idea, there are many people ready to pay a lot for something not necessary just because they can afford it.

It is perception of what you are buying. Companies have to make products for all financial levels of society. That is just the way it is. Most people won't buy the expensive ones. I don't care if they do. It is the same as going to a restaurant and getting french fries for $1.00.....or going to A RESTARUANT....and because they serve them in a cute little paper cone, they can charge $5.00. I think that it is interesting that O informs us of what is going on in the world. I don't watch her often as I don't have the time.....but when I hear that someone is doing something out of the ordinary....it makes me try to figure out how to improve what I am doing. If anyone could figure out what makes people spend their money on a certain product they would be wealthy. When I had a Victorian Lampshade store....if things weren't selling......I would go around and mark them up $50 or $100 and then that same day someone would come in and buy. It is perceived value. Some people just want to pay more. I have been in retail for many years and I found that sometimes putting things on sale was worse than marking up the price. Weird.

I guess that if I had to spend millions on advertising and packaging my candles then I would have to charge $120 for a candle for the 386 people in the world that would actually be dumb enough to buy it. (smile) Maybe they need a tax write off. :wink2: Donita Louise

It is perception of what you are buying. Companies have to make products for all financial levels of society. That is just the way it is. Most people won't buy the expensive ones. I don't care if they do. It is the same as going to a restaurant and getting french fries for $1.00.....or going to A RESTARUANT....and because they serve them in a cute little paper cone, they can charge $5.00. I think that it is interesting that O informs us of what is going on in the world. I don't watch her often as I don't have the time.....but when I hear that someone is doing something out of the ordinary....it makes me try to figure out how to improve what I am doing. If anyone could figure out what makes people spend their money on a certain product they would be wealthy. When I had a Victorian Lampshade store....if things weren't selling......I would go around and mark them up $50 or $100 and then that same day someone would come in and buy. It is perceived value. Some people just want to pay more. I have been in retail for many years and I found that sometimes putting things on sale was worse than marking up the price. Weird.

I guess that if I had to spend millions on advertising and packaging my candles then I would have to charge $120 for a candle for the 386 people in the world that would actually be dumb enough to buy it. (smile) Maybe they need a tax write off. :wink2: Donita Louise

Hahahaha! Great post!!!!!

Donita, Do you think that "pricing" is a perceived perception of "success"?

I'm thinking that is what is in the minds of people. They bow down to money and success and want to be equated with it, sometimes, whether they like the person or product. They just want to be in the "crowd".

Hahahaha! Great post!!!!!

Donita, Do you think that "pricing" is a perceived perception of "success"?

I'm thinking that is what is in the minds of people. They bow down to money and success and want to be equated with it, sometimes, whether they like the person or product. They just want to be in the "crowd".

Of course it is.....why in the world would anyone need to buy a Hummer?????? It just shows people how rich people buy stupid things. I guess if you are going on safari....then you would want one, but I haven't heard of any safari's in this country......

It starts young in life. You have to fit in. I remember begging my parents to let me buy Lanz dresses and Capizo shoes. They had five daughter to raise and it put the pressure on them.....I did buy them, but my mother made a lot of dresses for me that were as good or better than Lanz......but they didn't have the label. Wearing the actual label made me feel cool. I was about 11 years old when I started learning that people treated you differently if you had expensive things. Sad. Those things you learn when you are young stay with you when you are an adult......I still think it's cool to wear my Blue Cult jeans.....cost way too much so I don't own many....even bough some used on eBay.....so I bought in. But I wear cheap shoes. That way I can have lots. Also bough 50 pairs of earrings on eBay for $9.95....plus $30 shipping from China.....but that is still cheap. From a distance no one knows. I get compliments all of the time on them. If I were rich I guess I would buy more expensive ones. It would make me feel good to wear real silver or real gold.....but I am always losing one earring.....ever have that happen? Bummer.

Donita Louise

PS....remind me to mark up my candle prices.....seriously.