Can anyone help

Sterine is an addative, but it doesn't inhibit the mottle, you need vybar for that. Blisters sounds like air bubbles to me, if thats the case, you need to tap your molds after pouring to release the air. I usually have troubles with the air bubbles on my repour. I use a tooth pic to pop them while its still hot. HTH

Sounds like a formula for mottled votives. You could use half a teaspoon up to a whole teaspoon of Vybar in place of the stearin to make them come out smooth. Vybar 260 might be best if you have a choice.

In a pinch, you could try to use a lot more stearin. Maybe 5 tablespoons (and less FO if they seem very greasy). That should be enough to eliminate the mottling, but really the Vybar is liable to produce better results and hold the fragrance easily.

Ok thank you guys, when i pour theres no bubbles there, its just afterwards, they have little white marks all over them and you can scratch it of with your nail, will try again, tap the mold and see if that helps, then if not i will try the vybar and see hwo they look.

Thank you

Chris xxx

I am ready to scream, th eones that are no good and all blistery with air bubbles, how do i get them out the molds without damaging the votive itself? Also how can i get the wick in the hole, its not going in???

Chris xx

You should be able to just turn the mold upside down and they should fall out. If not try squeeze the mold a tiny bit to release it. If that still doesn't work put in fridge for a few minutes and try again. As for the wicks, are you using a wick pin? If so you should be able to push the wick through from the bottom. HTH

I can get the candle out the mold, i just cant the the pin out, at the bottom of the pin on the base it has some wax undet the base, kind of sealing the pin in the candle, just a tiny bit, i cant get it out, i used a blunt knife to get it off, but it damaged the candle, then when i get to inserting the wick, it wont go up, it goes so far and then the wick bends and wont go any further?

Cxx

To get the wick pin out I turn my votives upside down and press down on the votive, it should slide down the pin, then I just pull it the rest of the way out.

ETA: When I turn upside down I put the tip of the wick pin on a hard surface. HTH

Blisters and what's caused them for me ... late to the party, but ...

I move the votive when there's a thin gelling going on at the top, it's too cool in the room and unnecessary air. If you're able to scratch them off, it isn't mottling.

Wick pins. Sometimes you might have to chill the votive, but bring it back to room temp before popping the pin. Humidity tends to make mine stick. So does a dirty pin. Wicks should slide right in the hole. Easiest if they are primed.

Thanks guys, i am doing everything by the book, these are brand new pins and molds, i heated the paraffin wax to 170F, poured at 160 and i tapped and tapped and tapped to get air bubbles out, i left them for hours, got them out the mold, but i cant get the pins out as there is wax covering the base, also they are not shiny and i still have little holes around the sides and blisters on the top where you can scrape off with your nail. what am i doing wrong?

Never made these before, used to buy them in and i want to try and make them, will try and post a p ic of them later on.

Cxx

What you have there is slightly mottled wax and some fragrance seepage on the sides. The rough or blistery texture on the top is pretty normal from the wax shrinking, but when the candles are just about cool you'll want to cap them off with additional hot wax to make a nicer top and not so much of a dip in the center. The second pour should bulge above the rim of the mold.

All in all, it still looks as though you would benefit from some Vybar to clear up the mottling and hold the fragrance oil better. If you don't mind a somewhat greasy feel and they burn OK, you could maybe make do with wiping them off well and giving them some time to dry up.

A technique some people like for the wick pin is to hold the candle firmly and give the pin a sharp whack against a hard surface. That breaks the sticking nicely, then you can pull it out.

Thank you topofmurrayhill, much appreciated, i have managed to get pins out, i just push down like Demenshia mentioned, i can get my wick in aswell.

so the fo seepage, what causes this?? Too much fo??? the mottling, you think if i bought vybar this would stop it?? Is this why i have this??

Other than that, i burnt one of them and they were fine, started to smoke halfway down, so i need to sort that out also.

Am off to bed, speak soon and thank you again my dear.

Chris xxxx

Hello Chris. The mottling is a natural effect of the paraffin, particularly with an added liquid such as fragrance oil. The seepage is due to the limited ability of paraffin wax to hold fragrance oil without the use of additives. Vybar increases the fragrance retention and provides other benefits. Just a small amount will greatly assist you in making votives with a dry and unblemished surface. And yes, it does eliminate the mottling. It's customary to use the Vybar for fragranced candles unless a rough or mottled finish is desirable.

Thank you topofmurrayhill, will get some vybar in then, and see how i go with that, i have made candles before but i have never made votives before and for such a small candle what a lot of work lol.

No Scented, i popped in the pins before i poured in the wax, just a tiny amount around the base, but if i push on a hard surface they come out ok, i tried and tested one last night, it was ok, until more than halfway down, it started to smoke, the flame was quite high and smoking :( i cut the wick to 1/4 inch before i lit it, i then lit it, then bleew it out, then lit it again, still smoked.