Cookie Cutter Candles????

Okay question. Has anyone ever used a metal cookie cutter as a mold? If so, how do you keep the wax from seeping out from under the cookie cutter. I really want to try and make a butterfly candle (but I can't find a mold...I have googled myself silly.:P ) I am going to try it when I get home, but figured I'd ask first and maybe see if I can get some pointers if anyone has tried. TIA. :cool2:

You could make them like you would be making chunks, instead of cutting them with a knife, use press the cookie cutter in there. Wait a few minutes then take the butterfly out and place on wax paper to cool.You could probably even stack them to make a taller candle, drill a hole for the wick.... just an idea, HTH!

What I do, and it works well, is this. I take my wax, pour it into a cookie sheet, so that it is the thickness that I want, then I let it cool to the point of still being workable, but solid. Then, I just cut out the shapes with my cookie cutter. MUCH simpler, IMO, and I can make a bunch at once. I do this all the time, I can make all kinds of chunk shapes for chunk candles. I even do it for soaps, for shapes inside them.

Pour your wax in a cake pan. Then when the wax has set up (still warm and soft but not hard) press your cookie cutter in the wax. Then with a ice pick heat it then poke a hole for the wick. Then thread a pre-primed wick with a metal tab through the hole. Next melt the left over wax then hold the wick and dip into the wax. You may need to dip more than once (let wax cool before your next dip. This insures you cover the metal tab so no water gets to the wick if you are using this for a floater.

Here is just one place to find 3-D molds. Do a search for soap molds not candle molds. http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Group.aspx?Tab=0&GroupTab=4&CatalogID=1&GroupID=261&GroupTitle=Molds+%26+Clamshells

post-219-139458380873_thumb.jpg

I thought you might find this tip helpful too. If you don't want to have the wax directly on the cookie sheet or cake pan, line the pan with parchment paper. I used parchment paper instead of wax paper and found it was much nicer to work with. It holds up better when cutting (chunks) and peels nicely from the wax. HTH :)

• 16 years later...
5 hours ago, Lguerette said:

Just wondering … how would you burn cookie cutter candles?  On a dish?  How long would they burn before losing their shape?

You would need to use a pillar wax for these, so they should hold their shape for a bit until the candle starts to fully burn down.  They would need to be placed on a non-flammable dish or tray.  Some of these old threads that are revisited are kind of interesting!