Black smoke and incense?

I read an article that stated good incense sticks will never produce a black smoke when it is initially lit at the very begining. Well I guess I've never used good incense because every single one that I have ever used has a bit of black smoke when it is first lit, then when you blow out the flame there is very light smoke as the incense burns. The black smoke will be worse if the incense hasn't completly dried but there is always a bit of blk. smoke. I've made 3-1 DPG ration, 2-1 and 1-1 and never had one that didn't produce some black smoke when first lit. Am I doing something wrong?

peace..

i never heard of that, maybe they are talking about charcoal sticks? ..i just lit one of mine that i made the day before yesterday to see (still fairly wet), and the smoke was white--burns fine to me.but one thing i do know that if you use "uncut" fragrance oil your incense will produce a lot more smoke than when you use the "cut" oil, and the more dpg you use the less scented your sticks will be and they will burn for a shorter amount of time.

can i get a link to the article?

My sticks ALWAYS give off black when you first light them BEFORE you blow them out... then its just white smoke. I tell people to wave them around a little as they are flaming which will help with the black smoke. Its just the oils burning off so the charcoal can start burning.

Bruce

My sticks ALWAYS give off black when you first light them BEFORE you blow them out... then its just white smoke. I tell people to wave them around a little as they are flaming which will help with the black smoke. Its just the oils burning off so the charcoal can start burning.

Bruce

ohhhh..that's what it is. i've never used the charcoal sticks before. only the ones made with sawdust.

Bruce,

My sticks ALWAYS give off black when you first light them BEFORE you blow them out... then its just white smoke.

That's how mine burn too. I make small batches and I let them air for usually a week before I use them, they are nice and dry. Your explanation makes sense because I couldn't figure out how it was possible to not have a bit of black smoke from charcoal when you first light it. I could understand there being a problem if the black smoke continued after the flame was blown out.

Now I can relax, I thought I had been doing something wrong!

I bet they are calling a "good" incense one that you roll yourself with resins, spices and EO's.... thats what most pros call a "real" incense. They are just trying to seperate the homemade rolled kind from the fragrance oil dipped kind.

I would think you are correct, hadn't thought about that. I can't recall ever burning one of those to know how they compare in scent with the homemade type. Sounds like an interesting process but a bit too messy for me!

Thanks for the help!

The process sounds very interesting and I would like to see how it is done just out of curiosity.

JMO but if I were to make incense using that method I know I would want to sell them at a price that would be worth all that effort. I just don't think the average person that buys incense(at least not in my market area)would be willing to pay the extra cost.

• 15 years later...

i bought some really nice incense at earthbound trading co. and they never burn black and smell nice never give me trouble all that good stuff well i ran out and bought some "hand dipped" ones for the time being from a gas station and they suck they burn black the smoke is to heavy and irritates my sinus's and throat they're blunt black brand i don't recommend these.