Hi Im new and Have some questions

Hi my name is Michelle but I usually go by Shell. I am a stay at home mom and I got this idea to make candles at home and sell them since Im at home all day. I think it will be fun to do. There is so many ideas that I had jump into my head and now I just want to know some of the facts before I start doing this.

Ok first off some of the questions Im wondering about is...

!) If I want to sell candles do I have to get permits to do this?

2) Is it illegal to sell candles out of my home?

3) Do I have to report it when it comes to tax season.

Any help would be great.

Shell

Your questions are legal ones, and the quick and dirty answers are no, no, and yes.

However the laws in your State, and municipality may vary.

As far as taxes, any income is taxable. If you're going to sell a few candles here and there, to friends, I doubt if you would have much trouble, but if you're setting up a business, you had better observe the legalities.

Fredron

Hi and Welcome! Once you got your business going, you would want to get a tax id number. Say if you decided to sell them at like a flea market or craft fair alot are requiring a tax id number now. You have alot ahead of you tho before you could ever sell. There is alot that goes into making a safe and great candle, lots of testing. Good luck!:)

Hi Shell,

Just wanted to say candlemaking is more fun than you could ever imagine. And extremely addicting, to boot. I truly had no idea what I was getting myself into. Get yourself a kit from Peak or Cajun and you will be on your way. And don't forget to test, test, test. You wouldn't want someone to burn their house down with a candle you made.

Good Luck,

Valerie;)

Good Luck:wink2: Shell you probablly won't have to worry about the tax on income yet since it is going to be a while before you make money but do keep records of what you spend who knows might happen quicker than you think plus you are going to have those for your losses too:cry2:

Shell,

I agree with Valerie. Cajun Candle Factory has a great starter kit, plus, everyone is very friendly and very helpful. I had no idea what I was getting into either. It is very addicting and fun.I would be happy to help you if you need it. Take it slow and get your ducks in a row, especially when it comes to the legal aspects. I am just starting the business aspect after an extended time in testing. I am going to file my papers tomorrow for my LLC and what is required for the state of Louisiana. :DYou may want to visit some of the competition in your area to get an idea and feel for the market. This site has excellent information especially the basic instructions section.

Good luck,

Tilly:wink2:

welcome, I am a stay at home mom also and have been in the testing fase for a year, candle making is fun but it takes time and its not quick (for me anyway) to make a buck. I do have the LLC set up and the tax ID number but still no where near ready to sell, everyday I am a bit closer though. Best of luck to you and you have found a great board

This is how I have done it for years ( because I have lived in many states)......if you plan to sell lots of candles....contact your state board of equalization and apply for a resale number. They will give you one and you will have to report your monthly sales.....even if it is nothing. After a year most states let you file quarterly. Be sure to collect the sales tax for your state on the candles you sell. It is legal to make them at your house.....let your homeowners insurance know what you are doing...mine never had a problem. But selling from your house is different. You have to have insurance for people to come on your property. And if it gets to be a big business...then you have to live on commercial property....which you probably don't. But don't let this discourage you. Just selling to a few people won't cause anyone to get upset. I started by selling at the local Farmer's Market. And....yes.....if you make income you have to report it on your income tax forms.....but....you probably won't make enough money soon to worry about it. I hired a CPA who flys his own plane around the country to train IRS agents....(smile).....I like this man. And ....if by some chance you make a lot of money soon.....please tell us how you did it!!!!!!!! Donita Louise

You need to check with you local chamber of commence they can help you find out what all you need to start a at home business in your area.

Now on to the rest this is not a get rich quick business even if you test 7 days a week you are a long way off from being ready to sell what you make. This is a very expensive enterprise most here have invested any where from a several hundreds to a few thousand dollars before they where ready to sell.

My best advice is research like crazy. Then get a kit. Then get your feet wet that will also give you time to realize just how expensive this business can really be.

Thank you for all the answers. Wow I didnt know that it would take so much time but thats why there is good products out there I guess. This will be defentally something that I will look into. But the only thing is I wont be able to start anytime soon since I am just getting ready to buy a house. But when push comes to shove this will be a fun thing to do. :D

Shell

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth:

1) Do a lot of reading and research then decide on the type of candle you want to make and what type of wax you want to use.

2) Absolutely get a starter kit ... I bought mine from Cajun.

3) Have fun with your new hobby and see where it goes from there.

4) If you love it so much you want to sell/give to others ... test, test, test and get insurance.

5) Call the person that does your taxes ... he/she will be able to tell you about getting a tax ID number, and when the time comes, how and when to pay taxes.

6) It's ok to make candles in your home, but if it's more than a hobby, call your homeowner's insurance company.

7) I've been told it's ok to sell candles from you're home to family & friends, however, if you want to open up to the public ... you must zoned be commercial, not residential. If you are zoned commercial, contact your local municipality office and find out how to get the required permits.

Hope this helped.

Shell,

I posted some information in the business section to a question asked of the thread getting legal. It has a lot of great information. I would be happy to send it to you via email also if you like. I have 2 other partners in my business, one is a stay at home mom. She brings her 3 year old with her. Lets just say, children have an uncanny knack to get into things when you are at a point that you can't stop what you are doing at that second. My 2 children go to school so that make it easy. When we hear quiet , we say oh no what did Anna do now. Myself and the other parter work shift work (we are both nurses). maybe in your new house you could have a room dedicated to you for your restful retreat to make candles. My husband has he garage and I have the front room for my shop. My husband is my biggest critic. Like Vicky said, most of us have spent a lot of money on research and development ( if you look at it in this light, you use it for your taxes). Good luck.

Tilly