A Newbie Question re. CP soap making.....

ilovescents

I've searched the forum for an answer but can't find one so please bear with me. Would it be okay to use more FO than the recommended 1 oz per pound CP soap batch? If I make a 3 pound batch, can I add 4 oz of FO? I made a 3 lb batch and added 4 oz of Baby Powder FO since I thought that the 3 oz wasn't strong enough when I was mixing it. I hope it doesn't ruin it. Thanks.

I've searched the forum for an answer but can't find one so please bear with me. Would it be okay to use more FO than the recommended 1 oz per pound CP soap batch? If I make a 3 pound batch, can I add 4 oz of FO? I made a 3 lb batch and added 4 oz of Baby Powder FO since I thought that the 3 oz wasn't strong enough when I was mixing it. I hope it doesn't ruin it. Thanks.

This is something that I often worry about as well. The thing about FOs is that you are supposed to dilute them in enough oil in order for them to be skin safe. If you put too much FO in a batch of soap, it may irritate your skin, since you are not adding enough other oils to dilute it.

Another problem I worry about is that the FO itself may cause your superfatting number to increase and your batch may turn out too soft.

Welcome to CT! Most fo's have a recommended amount to use for each. See if you can find what it is for the one you have. You have to see if it is irrating to you. But be careful with using too much it can cause irritation or allergic reactions. If you are using it for a child do not go over the recommended amount. I never scent my baby products, their skin is so sensitive. hth

This is something that I often worry about as well. The thing about FOs is that you are supposed to dilute them in enough oil in order for them to be skin safe. If you put too much FO in a batch of soap, it may irritate your skin, since you are not adding enough other oils to dilute it.

Another problem I worry about is that the FO itself may cause your superfatting number to increase and your batch may turn out too soft.

I asked once about the FO and superfatting and Bunny told me that the FO was unsaponafiable (sp) and it didn't add to the superfat. I would only worry that body safe FO is only body safe at certain percentages.

If a person uses 1:6 for a dry oil spray then that is 16% FO. In that case 4oz of FO in 3lb soap would be just about 8%. I could be wrong but I'd think that would be safe enough in a rinse off product. As far as ruining the batch with extra liquid, I doubt it but it would depend on the FO.

I asked once about the FO and superfatting and Bunny told me that the FO was unsaponafiable (sp) and it didn't add to the superfat.

I can probably depend on the type of carrier oil the manufactorer used to make the FO with. For instance some fragrance oils are cut with soybean oil, and i know that for sure is saponifiable (sp?)

I know there have been a few times where I thought the fragrance was rather weak in my soap. I would wait it out a few weeks and POW!!! The fragrance would come out and it would smell divine!!! :D Don't waste precious FO by adding extra. If you are buying from reputable suppliers, 1 oz. per pound of oils should be plenty!!! JMO.

I'm afraid you're right, ashleebeans. The cut Baby Powder soap bars are fragrancing my house really nicely. I bought the FO from NG. I'm really not fond of the Baby Powder scent in soy tarts that I make but it's beautiful in CP soap. I will definitely stick to 1 oz/lb. Thanks.

Oh yeah, NG's got great stuff!!! I love their Curve for Men in soap, even though it turns funky colors. (an interesting violet shade) It smells like a yummy fresh man, straight from the shower!!! :naughty: That was another one that at first I thought it was a dud....waited a few weeks and wow!!! I have soaps that I made with that scent a year and a half ago and they still smell like I made them a week and a half ago!!!