Yet another re-batch Question

Tess

Hey all! Been busy lately playing with soaps again.

However I made a boo boo last night.

My batch over traced because I took too long :(. I was using some new pigments and had to mix colors and well the whole chemistry thing put me a little off.

So when I unmold today, it is one not the swirl I was looking for. Two, it has some air pockets in it.

I have seen rebatching and never had to do it before so just a few questions.

1. Can this be remelted in a microwave? (Thinking since I melted the hard oils in there, maybe I could do this)

2. I read where E did not need extra water in the soap, and since mine is pretty oily, I am thinking I may not have to add any extra liquid.

3. What temp do I melt to?

4. Do I just chunk the bars to melt or cut them into cubes to melt easier? (im thinking cubes)

Sorry for acting like such a noob. I searched and read all the rebatching stuff I could find, and some I had saved. I did not see any of these questions mentioned. Thanks :)

Oh yeah this is CP if that matters :P

1. Yes you can rebatch in the microwave. What I did was use a crock-pot liner and took it out every 30 sec and smooshed it around. Or you can do it in the crockpot (with or without liner). Be careful, it can volcano (but at least it won't be caustic!)

2. Fresh, soft soap needs no additional liquid.

3. Don't melt to any particular temp, judge by how smooshy your soap is and how evenly melted it is.

4. Smaller pieces will melt faster and more evenly.

I think Eugenia has some instructions online here - I'll take a look but you should too.

ETA: E posted a link a while back but when I tried it my virus alert software alerted me to a Trojan Horse, so I wouldn't recommend that. I googled and came up with what I think she was trying to point us to anyway: http://www.soapsandsundries.com/howtorebatch.html. You won't need the additional liquid mentioned in this information.

My microwave sucks. I would not even attempt it with this oven. I've burned batches in the old oven. If you do use the micro, shred the soap, then zap it for 3-5 minutes at a time, stir, zap some more until it's melted.

My favorite method is the boiling bag. Get the oven bags meant for meat (they say you can't boil in them but you can). Tie with string, the included closures will leak. Put the bag in a pot, cover with water and boil until the soap is totally melted. Cut a corner and squeeze the soap into your mold. This method gives me pourable soap, unlike the other methods which ended up more like mashed potatoes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the microwave rebatch method. I did everything in the tutorial except I may have over zapped it when I decided to add more cp shred to the already melted down soap. Now I decided I wanted one color on the bottom and uncolored on top. I smooshed it around too much I think. I placed it in the mold and the soap got hard quick. I added maybe a tbs or two to about a pound of soap. Does this mean I added to little? It also became less smooth like mashed potatoes. It became crumbly and hardened within 1/2 hour. I was able to cut it up fine but my testing failed. I'm better at doing rebatch in the oven. I'm sorry for this super long post but wanted to give you an idea as to what I did and hopefully try this again. I would love to do microwave style cause its quicker then my oven method. Obviously this was just a tester not going to sell it. Thank you for listening to my yaking LOL:D

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is old but I have some questions on Eugenia's system, which I like.

I have one of those vacuum sealers and those bags are boilable. Now I can make it vacuum out and seal or I can make it seal, would one of these work?

My other question is, if I grate up a whole 4# of this and boil bag it, when I am done, do I add more new scent to it? Also, I am rebatching cause the color came out hidious, will I still have that same gross color? If so, how do I get it to an acceptable color? Thanks all

ETA: The reason I am rebatching is these FO I am assuming had vanilla in them somewhere and turned brown, I want to rebatch them to get them to look acceptable for selling

My microwave sucks. I would not even attempt it with this oven. I've burned batches in the old oven. If you do use the micro, shred the soap, then zap it for 3-5 minutes at a time, stir, zap some more until it's melted.

My favorite method is the boiling bag. Get the oven bags meant for meat (they say you can't boil in them but you can). Tie with string, the included closures will leak. Put the bag in a pot, cover with water and boil until the soap is totally melted. Cut a corner and squeeze the soap into your mold. This method gives me pourable soap, unlike the other methods which ended up more like mashed potatoes.

I have one of those vacuum sealers and those bags are boilable. Now I can make it vacuum out and seal or I can make it seal, would one of these work?

I've never tried a vacuum sealer, so I wouldn't know how well the vacuum sealer bag would work. :confused: I have tried Reynolds baking bags and have had good results.

My other question is, if I grate up a whole 4# of this and boil bag it, when I am done, do I add more new scent to it?

I don't add more scent to mine. I guess you could add more fo if it's within safe %. I try to stay at 0.7 oz per pound of fo.

Also, I am rebatching cause the color came out hidious, will I still have that same gross color? If so, how do I get it to an acceptable color?

If the soap is one color, the rebatch will be the same color. If it was swirled or had layers, the soap will be a combination of the colors (for example if there were blue and yellow layers, the rebatch would be green).

I have a hard time trying to even distibute the new coloring in a rebatch. :embarasse Some people can do it, but mine is more streaked than if it was colored before the rebatch.

You could probably recolor the soap to a darker color, but not a lighter one. For example, I had a Pink Sugar soap that turned brown. I tried to recolor it pink, but it was still very brown after rebatching. :rolleyes2