weird question peanut butter in CP?

mslegacy

Ok, since I have been researching and researching and researching on making CP soap and the properties of oils etc...and I just ordered some Strawberry Jam scent, which got me thinking. Today I got an idea for soap to try a peanut butter and strawberry jam soap. I have a small amount of peanut butter fragrance in the classifieds which made me think of this. I want to do a half peanut butter and half strawberry jam swirl. Thought this would be interesting. Then I thought, why couldnt I add real peanut butter? Anyone have thoughts on this? Anyone tried it? I pulled out my Peter pan creamy jar, and looked at the ingredients, and it states "Rosted peanuts, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, (Cottonseed and Rapeseed), and salt". Any ideas on how to proceed with this? Do you think I would have to substitute part of an oil or butter from a recipe, or add it like an additive?

(Mind you I havent even made 1 bar yet, that is coming after vacation....), but I have been experimenting in my head already. When I start, this will not be my first project mind you, but it is something I plan to try once I get a bar I am happy with which could be several months. Then came the idea of that chocolate soap with peanut butter...hmmmm.....now I am hungry.....

Any feedback is appreciated!

Well here are my thoughts on this and I am never one to discourage experimentation. So go for it. With the peanut butter you are going to , IMO have a sticky mess of a swirl, which will probably turn a nasty color, but not sure how it will react with the lye. Also with the jam I think you may end up with the same kind of result, but I am not sure as I have never attempted this. Adding food to soap can have its advantages, like cucumber etc. used as part of the water amount. You need to figure out, where these ingredients fit into your recipe and how they change the lye,and or water amounts. The oil in the peanut butter will not be emulsified into the soap itself, but will probably saponify to some degree. For instance, when we add a luxury oil, say 2 tbls of evening primrose at the end of our batch, not including it into our original calculation to make a more luxurious bar, we really have no way of knowing if that oil really does saponify or not , without some kind of chemical testing. I believe that during the gelling stage, the peanut butter and the jam will heat up and cook. Give it a shot and let us know how it comes out. Personally I would use fo's for this soap. And use the peanut butter and jam for a sandwich. LOL But it is an interesting idea.

I could be wrong but I think she wants to use the peanut butter as an ingredient in her soap recipe and she has a strawberry FO for the "jam" portion of her soap recipe. Two different soaps swirled together. My guess would be that the peanut butter would sub for a portion of the oils??

Glo

Yes, I would like to use the peanut butter as an ingredient, and the Strawberry would be a FO. I actually found a few sites that have recipes for peanut butter soap, and they just add a few Tbls to it. Apparently it makes the soap soft, and it does make it smell like peanut butter. So, I am going to try, play a little, and who knows?

No, I am not going to sell them, just give to friends and family (My DH loves everything peanut butter), but who knows? I would have to do research on legality issues and labelings if I sold them, but I just thought it was an interesting concept. More things to play with!

Thank you for responding! I appreciate your insight!