A Painful First Time

soycrazy

Well I finally did it and made my 1st batch with hubby's help of course, you don't think I would mix the lye do you LOL. Of course getting burned on the face wasn't fun :(, but after pushing through the pain & taking care of my burn it was worth it. I planned on scenting them, but it didn't turn out that way. I think they still came out really nice. They smell good for being unscented :) Even though my first time was painful I want to do another batch this weekend, but scented this time :) I haven't a clue what I'm going to do with all this soap LOL.

post-5699-139458422822_thumb.jpg

Yup...my first CP batch went unscented too. <sigh> :awww:

Now...tell us how you got lye in your face! OMG! Did you grab vinegar real quick? I got a spot on my forearm during clean up and OUCH. Vinegar is a real saver there! How scary. Hope you are ok!

I swear, when I'm dealing with lye, not only am I loudly announcing to the family where the lye is every 2 minutes, but I'm covered from head to toe. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm a freak. LOL. Standing on my backporch...visible to 5 backyards and windows...LOL...long pants (it was 84 here then other day)...lace up shoes, tshirt, long sleeve shirt, full length apron, gloves tucked up under the cuffs of the shirt, safety glasses and a paper dust mask type thing. All to stand there and stir in a pyrex dish for 5 minutes. It's a sight, I'm sure. HHAHAHAHA

But, your soaps look great! Once they cure, pass the out to friends...warn them they are unscented, not because you forgot the FO, but because you are "testing a new recipe and didn't want scent to get in the way"!

Hugs,

Donna

I used to gear up too....looking like I was from some haz-mat team, but now I'm just cautious of my actions and mix away like it was nothing. You'll get the hang of it real soon. Your soap is lovely (I'm a white soap lover). Now get busy on that next batch :cheesy2:

Congratulations on your first batch- looks great! My DH asked if I could make him some plain unscented soap for camping:smiley2:

I've seen several people mention using vinegar on lye burns although I've read in at least a couple of different places to only use lots of running water, NOT vinegar- vinegar is only to be used for cleanups.:confused:

Let me clarify, as I was NOT implying to put vinegar on lye burns.

Vinegar IS for lye incidents AKA spills. It neutralizes the chemical reaction.

Not to be directly applied to the skin that suffers a lye burn. Flush with cold water for at least 15 minutes and apply Aloe Gel to the burn if it is not an open wound.

Anything that breaks the skin and bleeds needs prompt medical attention.

Lye can continue to burn thru skin layers long after the intial incident.

Some people don't realize that raw soap buns also. Wear gloves, cover your eyes, pour the lye very slowly, away from you. Cover yourself from head to toe if that makes you more comforatable doing it. For me the few raw soap burns I have gotten, I rinse in very cold water for a time and put emu oil on it, I keep it right in the fridge near where I soap. I mix mine under the stove fan, about 3 feet away from me with the fan on, and leave the fan on til it stops steaming. Leave it there for about 15 mins and then with gloves and goggles on move it to the sink, I always wear something over my eyes when I am soaping and can't belive the crap I see on them after I am done. Congrats on your first batch. It is very rewarding.

Thank you all for the nice comments. Well how did it happen the soap some how splashed on my face mask and part of it got on my face. Never even felt it either until the itching then burning started. I was real careful too, maybe too careful. I'm still looking for a face shield LOL, but can't find one. My soap looks great, but I'm dying to use it. The wait is too long :)

I once burned my face right under my eye cause I had KOH solution on my gloves and touched my face with my glove... And might I suggest NOT dousing yourself with straight vinegar at that point OUCHOUCHOUCHOUCH. Water and lots of it - then vinegar if you feel you must (but think, vinegar on raw skin.... OUCH)

I still don't do the Haz Mat thing, but you do have to be careful. I have not posted this one in a bit. It's good reinforcement. It was hot, I was sweaty and accidentally wiped my face while I had some lye on my hand. Did not even realize what happened until later.

lyeburn.jpg

I still don't do the Haz Mat thing, but you do have to be careful. I have not posted this one in a bit. It's good reinforcement. It was hot, I was sweaty and accidentally wiped my face while I had some lye on my hand. Did not even realize what happened until later.

lyeburn.jpg

Darn E...Scary picture! Gave me nightmares!

Looks good to me! Good job:highfive:

Ouch ouch ouch, just saw the picture! Sorry about those burns ladies! I once got a slight burn on my hand just from the vapors coming from the lye when I first added it to water and started stirring it around. Ran out of gloves that day and had the soaping itch, so I did not wear gloves for the first time ever. Learned my lesson for sure!