Giving Friends and Family a Reduced Price?

TartAddict

Hi guys :)

Okay, I don't have a business, but I figured this might be the right place to post. I've started selling a few things to friends and family. Do you generally give a reduced price to good friends and family, or do you charge your regular price? I know this is just an opinion, but that's what I'd like :) Your opinion. Everyone here has just great insight, it's always helpful.

Thanks guys!

D

I tend to not discount, but throw in extras. But that's not a rule, it really just depends.

However, if we're talking a family or friend that wants to do business with you (like wholesale) from you, then I wouldn't discount. It isn't fair to ask you to come down on wholesale prices so they can make a bigger profit.

I give 20% off to immediate family. To me this includes my parents, siblings and their spouses. (and the same for my husband). Grandparents, cousins, aunts, etc, pay full price. My mom is the one who orders the most, and she sometimes gets free stuff, but that's mainly because she "invested" in us at the beginning. So when we're able to give her free stuff we do. When things are a little tighter, she pays for her stuff. But we set down our "rules" about discounts when we started selling. We knew the "trap" of discounting to friends and family could easily get out of hand, and we didn't want that to become a problem long term.

I give family wholesale price and I do not charge my Mom, she gets whatever she wants for free. Mother-in-law gets hers free too...but she has a beach house we use for free!

I only have a few friends that I give the wholesale Price too.

I also have a friend who owns the gym I work out at and I trade her candles for tanning sessions! I trade Reatail for Retail so it works out great!

I have finally decided (for now anyway), that my candle making is more of a hobby than a business so I do discount to my family, and almost anyone who wants to buy from me at home. If it were a profitable business then I would limit my discounts to family only.

I like the idea of a discount...but I'm wondering if I'm going to get into..."well she got 10% off, how come I don't" type of deal. I guess I'll have to figure it out :)
I give the discount off the total, not on each individual item. I know this amounts to the same thing, but it does help them remember what the "correct" price is. So if anyone asks how much each tart costs, they would remember it as $1 each and not $0.90 each.

I'm really bad....

I give my mom and children everything free.

But my kids and mom also sell for me too.

My mom argues with me everytime. But I say no mom. You do alot for me.

But she does pay me if she is buying gifts for other people tho.

And my bro's buy from me at my cost.

I just don't feel right about charging my family.

But they do give back alot to me in other ways. So I consider us even.

But friends I give 20% off.

I give my mom, kids and mil whatever they want for themselves, they shop at my stores for presents and pay wholesale.

ps, any broken things go to them and they fix them up. I can't imagine charging my mother. cripes. I couldn't look her in the face. She always offers, but she my mother! I think I owe her more than a few tarts..etc...

pss, my mom lives hours away and when she comes for a visit she often comes in and makes her own.

When I change scents or delete some I pack up what is left and send them to mom, she is "supposed" to share with my 2 aunts. I mean what else do you do with the old and ugly?

Going to start making them pay.Mainly a friend.She was buying my candles and loved them.I would give her a FREE one once in awhile or one that wasnt selling.She would say to me all the time."I got some candles at Wal Mart, at the Dollar Store and just anywhere she happened to be".First I thought nothing because she also would say I need to come over and get some candles.I am out.I said Fine just call. Never would hear from her and same old thing.Went to Wal Mart. Was at my house one night and just out of the blue said I need candles.Got some out and when I did she said I have $3.00.I couldn't believe it.Wanted some for $3.00.I gave her a couple and also some tarts.Tarts were paid for with that money.So a few weeks later she said I want a candlewarmer I saw at your house.OK.Never heard anything again and now a family member of hers stopped at a candle place and got her some candles and she is going there sometime and check what they have. I think I was nice enough. Now I am :angry2:

So with my TAX ID now I am going to just have to say NO handouts and just a very small discount for some.Not sure about this person.She has money for Wal Mart but never for me.When she sees me with candles I know she will want FREE. I have to put my food down.

LynnS

I hear ya :) I've been giving tarts to a few friends for free...with the condition that they give me feedback. My neighbor has yet to give me ANY feedback. I've asked her several times, and I know she's used the tarts. I told her even if they stink (no pun intended), I need to know. For the most part, I test my own tarts, I know what I like and what I expect and I'm picky, but it's nice to get another opinion. Anywho...sorry to go off on a tangent. I think I've decided on a 10% friends (good friends only) discount. Family will get stuff for free (my mom rocks.....would never even think of charging her).