Not getting rustic texture

The candle that I poured at 140 turned out perfectly smooth.

I'm really at a loss for explaining this.

Is it possible that my thermometer is off? When it says 150, the wax seems normal to me with no noticeable signs of cooling. At 140, the wax leaves a layer on the pouring pitcher when swirled and tries to become frothy. Does this sound right?

i haven't taken mine out of the mould yet, (although tempted lol, how long do you have to wait till de-moulding?)

but I had good thoughts when mine frothed :)

try ignoring the thermometer just once and see how it turns out. I'm going to try pouring at the consistancy of treacle/golden syrup next

ooooooh I'm well happy :)

done it. It's not perfect, theres patching of frosting missing on the top part, the first pour of 140. Strangely enough the 150 and 160 are fine.

Love the colours. They go together quite well I think.

Will post a piccie later.

yayyy well done you! Can't wait to see a pic :yay:

I haven't umoulded mine yet, the sides of the moulds are still a bit warm, so they can wait until tonight. Dreading this one, i've never been able to get layers right yet. They always look pants :sad2: .

Let you know later what they turn out like. I might even dig out the digi camera and see if the batterys charge, then can post a pic.

Anjie,x.

Okay, I ignored the thermometer and poured as cool as I possibly could... the wax was getting sludgy in the bottom of the pitcher and kept developing a skin over the top, even though I was stirring it. The thermometer said it was between 135 and 140. I felt the mold as I was pouring, and it was not hot at all above the level of the wax- every other time, it has become hot as soon as I started pouring.

I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out, lol.

I wonder... has anyone ever tried putting a mold in an icewater bath and pouring into it? I'm sure that would keep it from heating up! :whistle:

Okay... the candle poured at 137-ish came out smooth too. I then poured a layered rustic, since all of those had turned out in the past, and this one was smooth too so I'm trying to figure out what might have changed. Could the temperature of my apartment be affecting the candle finishes? The wather has warmed up a lot since my first pours and my apartment is definitely a few degrees warmer. The only other differences are that I cut FO from 1 oz pp to 1/2 oz pp, have been repoking relief holes throughout cooling instead of just doing it once, and have been smacking the mold with a knife to eliminate air bubbles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/starlessjade/layers.jpg

The purple one is an older one that has texture, the blue one is the new one that is smooth.

The smoothness is weird... it looks like the candle has a texture, with lots of striations in particular, but the surface is smooth to the touch and glossy. It's almost like someone took a rustic candle and polished it or put a gloss on it. Honestly I think it looks pretty neat on a layered candle, but I'm still dying to know what is causing it!

Rustic or not, Jade... I think they look amazing!! I especially like the aqua/turquoise one. I just "unveiled" a rustic tilted layer myself... and it looks wonderful! If I do say so myself! :wink2: I'm not sure what the temperature was when I poured each layer... but it was beginning to congeal around the outside of my pouring pot. Pretty cold, I would think! :cheesy2: I think the secret is the stearic - I used roughly 2 tblsp per pound. And pouring cold. I didn't chill my mold, but did use PAM. HTH!!

WOW Starless, those are both beeeyutifool !! :D How many pouring jugs do you have?? Do you mix up each colour in a seperate jug?? Very impressive - i's jealous, yes I am!

Well done Wick - got any pics of the other candle you made? I lurve looking at candle pics :cheesy2:

Anjie,x.

hi anjie, been busy ;) will take some piccies later if I finish or tomorrow. Hubbys out with son at footie match in morning, so its wax wax wax all the way tomorrow too :D

just made to lemon meringue pyramids, but they just won't come out of the plastic moulds, and I think one has seperated in the mould :(

oh heck, I put them in the freezer and forgot them, that was about 40mins ago!

Thanks!

Yep, I'm pouring layers over and over again. I have three pouring pitchers and I mix up the wax plus additives and fragrance oil in one, then pour about 1/3 into each of the other pitchers and add dye chips to each one. Actually, for this one I did two pitchers, navy blue and aqua, then poured some of each into the third one to make an intermediate color.

It takes me about 2 hours to pour all the layers (my mold is 4.5 inches tall) but you only have to wait 10 minutes or so between layers since they are so thin. I like that.