Lake House Candle Company

uckevin111

Hi all! I wanted to post about my business, Lake House Candle Company. I am located in the Greater Cincinnati area and my web site is http://www.lakehousecandle.com. My day job is as a web developer and everything you see has been done by me: programming, design, graphics, photos, and now the marketing. Please take a look at my site and tell me what you think, I'd really appreciate it. :).

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S. Wanted to add. Your prices are are great. I am sure your customers love that. I sure wish I could charge those great prices for my candles. I keep them lower than I probably should but still at a fairly competitive rate for this area.

Your site looks great...very springy! Your candles are very nice also, one thing I noticed and am curious about is the scent names on your labels...some are tm'd names and you aren't using the 'type' after them...aren't you supposed to be using that? Otherwise, candles are beautiful!

Your site looks great...very springy! Your candles are very nice also, one thing I noticed and am curious about is the scent names on your labels...some are tm'd names and you aren't using the 'type' after them...aren't you supposed to be using that? Otherwise, candles are beautiful!

I am sure someone with more experience will jump in here, but as far as I can see none of those scent names need to have "type" added behind them - could you point out which ones you mean? Would like to know answer for my own info.

Hi Kevin. Just wanted to say you have done a great job with your site. Very clean and crisp. The candles, your colours and labelling are beautiful. Very easy site to navigate and I like the fact that you have the "we also recommend" option underneath a particular product. Well done. I guess being a web developer is a tremendous asset when designing your own site!!

This is a reply to kalamazoo..

Cucumber Melon, Cotton Blossom, Cool Citrus Basil and Sweet Pea are BBW names I know that...I believe Clean Cotton maybe a Yankme name....I thought if you used these names you need the 'type' after them...maybe ya don't ...who knows! I just wouldn't want the famous c&d letter showing up!

This is a reply to kalamazoo..

Cucumber Melon, Cotton Blossom, Cool Citrus Basil and Sweet Pea are BBW names I know that...I believe Clean Cotton maybe a Yankme name....I thought if you used these names you need the 'type' after them...maybe ya don't ...who knows! I just wouldn't want the famous c&d letter showing up!

Peak sell Cool Citrus Basil and Sweet Pea and mention that it is a BBW type, so I am not really sure - maybe Kevin will reply later. I don´t want to hijack this thread, gonna do a search on the subject.

Thank you all for the great comments, I really appreciate it.

As far as the tm'd names, I am not exactly sure, but I made sure to only "copy" those names if the scents I bought also used those names. None of the scents I buy have "type" on them, so I assume if they can sell the scent with that name then I can use that name as well. If someone knows otherwise please let me know so I can change that.

I have been very busy with the candles and the site lately, but I'll make sure to keep up here and answer any questions or comments.

Thanks again!

- Kevin

Actually it is not broken but when you choose a scent and then you recommend a scent at the bottom, you show a different style jar for the scent that is then featured. I clicked on this jar thinking I was going to see that jar style, but it says the page doesn't exist...it does it for all the scents I checked out

As far as the tm'd names, I am not exactly sure, but I made sure to only "copy" those names if the scents I bought also used those names. None of the scents I buy have "type" on them, so I assume if they can sell the scent with that name then I can use that name as well. If someone knows otherwise please let me know so I can change that.
Hmmmm.... to my eye, it looks sorta Yankish. That's the first thing that popped in my head upon glancing at the site. Concerning the 'types' and trademarks, I wouldn't just trust the labeling from another company. I doubt they'd whip up a reply to a C&D letter for you. Here's a link about trademarks, with a link to the US Patent & Trademark Office. :smiley2:

http://sbinformation.about.com/cs/patents/a/trademark.htm

Hi Kevin. I see on your site you have the custom color drop-down box for customers to choose a colour for their candles, is this not a PITA when say a person who is ordering Lemon Verbena wants it coloured TEAL or some other strange colour? Do you then have to make up a batch of wax, colour and scent it and pour just the one candle? I am fairly new to candlemaking, so please excuse the naivety of this question. :tiptoe:

Actually it is not broken but when you choose a scent and then you recommend a scent at the bottom, you show a different style jar for the scent that is then featured. I clicked on this jar thinking I was going to see that jar style, but it says the page doesn't exist...it does it for all the scents I checked out

Thank you for pointing this out. I messed up my links when I added the soy candles. It should be fixed now :smiley2:

Hi Kevin. I see on your site you have the custom color drop-down box for customers to choose a colour for their candles, is this not a PITA when say a person who is ordering Lemon Verbena wants it coloured TEAL or some other strange colour? Do you then have to make up a batch of wax, colour and scent it and pour just the one candle? I am fairly new to candlemaking, so please excuse the naivety of this question. :tiptoe:

Actually, every one of my candles is made after an order is placed. I don't keep any inventory on hand, except for some candles to let people see and smell - which are the ones I used for the photos on the site. All I have to do to make a candle is melt the wax, add a dye chip and fragrance oil, and pour.

I have a pretty nice setup in my office with a presto pot that I fitted with a spout near the bottom so that I can just melt the wax and open the valve to get what I need. I have this situated over a digital scale that I place my pouring pitcher on. I know the exact amount of wax I need for each candle, so I turn the scale on and open the valve until I have the correct amount of wax in the pitcher. I normally already have the color chip in the pitcher prior to adding the melted wax, so I just stir, make sure it's the correct temperature with an infrared thermometer, add the fragrance oil, and pour :smiley2:

This how I do things - everything is poured to order so if they want Lemon in blue wax - they get it. Saves me having to have hundreds of ready-poured candles. I use good FO, so by the time the customer gets the candle, it will have cured long enough (about a week).

Nat

This how I do things - everything is poured to order so if they want Lemon in blue wax - they get it. Saves me having to have hundreds of ready-poured candles. I use good FO, so by the time the customer gets the candle, it will have cured long enough (about a week).

Nat

Thanks NattyCat, makes more sense to me now.