This might be a goofy question

That's not completely unheard of, I don't think. It should be fine as long as it doesn't give them an unfair advantage over their customers. But really, you can argue the advantage goes in the other direction. Their know-how and proprietary developments as candlemakers are actually imparted to their customers.

What's funny, the wording in that paraffin bashing:

Soy candles are practically soot free.Soy candles do not emit the soot and fumes that are attributed to run-of-the-mill paraffin candles (trimming the wicks are a MUST though).

So which is it? Are they totally, or practically?

If soy replaced just 10% of common paraffin wax, an estimated 60 million pounds of soybeans would be needed for annual candle production. This helps reduce our dependency on foreign oil.
Considering that there's not that much excess soybeans being produced, and farming at an all time low... we'd have to import to make up for it anyways. Another handy item left out.

I do like the play on foreign oil though. Gotta love those who add to panic!

I personally would not buy from a local supplier if I knew that I could be competing against them for candle sales, fundraisers, retail etc..

Personally, I wouldn't want to buy from a supplier who DIDN'T make candles! Like what real-time, first-hand information could they have to share with me? Just because a product sells is not enough product knowledge for me...

"Competing" against the big boys is ridiculous to worry over! Set your course and do what you do well. It's a big world! You're also "competing" against WalMart, China, etc. Make great candles and carve out your share of the market. IMHO, People who worry about what their competition is doing are not spending enough time on their own products and customer base.:wink2:

IMHO, People who worry about what their competition is doing are not spending enough time on their own products and customer base.:wink2:

Competition is what makes the world go round!!

It helps you make a better product. IMHO:D

Of course we all want our suppliers to know how to make candles and to have great knowledge the business....

If I found out one of my local suppliers were selling candles, doing fundraiser and possible taking biz in my area, I would not buy from them for my supplies. :D

There are a lot that do both.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt Daystar Supplies also Texas Charm Bath & Candle Co.?

Yes, you are correct. I started out buying candles from Texas Charm then started making them thinking I would save money. Little did I know!!!

Now, you know why Stacy is soooo busy! Snowtop sells candles also. I think alot of them do.