Rustic......or not!!

I chilled the mould, melted at 175f and poured at 165. Absolutely no sign of rustic at all. Straight paraffin, no additives.

Just these weird pin prick holes in it. (Strangely enough, I got these tiny pin pricks, the other day when trying snowflake oil, that didn't work either).

rusticoct.jpgrusticoct2.jpg

You're pouring too hot. Wait until it gets to 150 or JUST below and they turn out great. Another few things I found out too was:

1. They turn out better when you pour into a room temperature mould.

2. Right after you pour, smack the bottom of the mould (while turning the mould round) but not hard enough to dent the mould! And you'll see loads of tiny air bubbles rise to the surface - no more pin holes in finished candle :D

3. If you pour in the daytime wait until the next morning to unmould. And don't tug on the wick if its a bit stuck. I squeeze the sides of the metal mould gently until i can see the wax has seperated from the metal, then turn upside down and give it a gentle shake. I did this last time and actually kept all of the frosting ON THE CANDLE and not left in the mould :tongue2: I think if you try and get it out too early you leave the frosting behind.

4. Leave to set at room temperature, you don't need to rush them.

5. Don't run before you can walk and master the single colour rustics before you attempt the stripes *ROFL* that was my mistake.

:tongue2: I'm no expert! Just things I have discovered for myself recently.

Why don't you use stearin? It helps with unmoulding, and its cheap enough from Hobbycraft.

Nice shiny candle you made there though - go girl!

Anjie,x.

aah, temperature again!

I'll get there one day lol.

It is lovely and shiny I must admit, just not what I was after.

are they air holes then, the pinpricks?

I thought you had to put the mould in the fridge first?

Not got any additives yet, just ordered some vybar, our hobbycraft has wax, thats it!! It's pants

Even though it's not what you were wanting it's a beautiful color!!

Yes you poured way to hot. I usually pour around 150 or a little under and I pour all of my other layers at the same temp. Never had a problem with them not binding together.

I agree with the waiting to unmold part. The candle will come out on it's own when it's ready to come out. If you have to shake, shake, shake it to get it come out then it's not time. Let it cool as slow as possible also.

I don't slam my mold I just take a knife and gently tap around the outsides of the mold for the air bubbles and I've not had a problem.

You're doing a wonderful job on your candles. Keep up the good work. The good thing about pillars is just plop them back in the pot and remelt lol Can't do that with jar candles.

just found out hobbycraft do have stearic' date=' i never spotted it.

dunno how much it is, but will have to wait till thurs now. will do it then[/quote']

Is this the big chain craft shop hobby craft with the blue and yellow writing? My local one doesn't have any candle making stuff at all, well a few boxed kits from house of crafts and thats it!!!

mmmmm, me feels a little trip is in order tomorrow ;)

I can't believe how much enjoyment I get from making candles. What did I do before!?

I've only been making them a couple of weeks and it feels like forever :D

I lie in bed at night, thinking about what I'm going to try the next day, I get up and think mmmm which mould. Straight back from taking the kids to school, the pots on lmao

This is the cheapes place i've found to get stearin

http://www.craftwiseuk.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?SS=stearin&PR=-1&TB=A&SHOP=

I advocate this shop a lot, but i just find it very cheap for some things, like wax and additives (and i've been trying some of their mould making stuff as well, trying to make my own rubber moulds!)

I've just put an order in yesterday, but after a discussion about vybar and stearin, decided on the vybar :(

I'll try hobbycraft, if its only a couple of quid, if i like it i can order more later.

btw, whats their delivery times like?

Normally 2 to 3 days, but then i usually place my order in the evening, so not sure if they would be quicker otherwise!!!!

I like their wax and they do a 25kg bag for just over £40. As it's free delivery over about £15 you can save a lot. They also do 10% off if order over 100, so a few bits and bobs and two 25kg bags, and you save 10%!!