scented rocks

Rebecca, Do you color your Vermaculite? If so, with what? Also, do you think you could add the vermaculite with the salt to help with the drying and scent retention?

I haven't tried coloring it but it would be interesting to see if it would take. The brownish color that it is really isn't visually appealing...lol Probably could with food coloring or liquid dye. May be able to hide it color wise in darker salts. Worth a try since it's not that expensive. I'll have to to give it a whiz;)

The dendritic salt I have gotten was from From Nautre with Love's web site but MMS, Bramble Berry, Coastal Scents and lemalange also have it.

I know that Snowdrift Farms has it too as a part of their bath salts kits. Here's a copy of what Snowdrift Farms says on their web site about the dendritic salt:

What is DENDRITIC SALT?

Dendritic salt is a highly purified sodium chloride which has been crystallized under special conditions. A trace (less than 3 ppm) of yellow prussiate of soda is added to modify the way the salt crystals grow. The crystals grow at the corners rather than the faces, which produces star-shaped crystals. Only sodium chloride will fit into this crystal matrix, leaving incredibly pure salt crystals with micropores in them. The yellow prussiate of soda is removed before the crystals are dried.

There are four main advantages to using dendritic salt: 1) High absorbative capacity. Dendritic retains 2.5 times that conventional granular salt will retain. 2) Reduced volatilization of essential oils. The atmosphere over dendritic salt contains 31% less volatiles than the atmosphere over other salts. This means longer product life. 3) The magnesium salts in conventional sea salts (and epsom salts) catalyze oxidation of essential oils, leading to rancidity. The highly purified sodium chloride in dendritic salt does not catalyze oxidation. This again leads to longer product stability. 4) Dendritic salt absorbs quickly, releasing the absorbed oils.

Tests show that dendritic salt dissolves at over twice the rate of conventional salt. High absorption, protection of precious essential oils from oxidation and volatilization, ease of manufacturing and good release characteristics make dendritic salt a superior carrier for essential oils in bath salts.

How to use:

Use 1 cup dendritic salt per 10-20 cups of sea salt or other salts. Absorb your essential oils on to the dendritic salt, then add to the salt or salt mix. Since dendritic salt is highly resistive to caking, fairly high amounts will not affect the appearance or flowability of coarse sea salts.

:)

OMG! Demenshia! I think I messed up...AGAIN!!! I got everything else right...even went to Cierra Candles in Reno and had a blast! So then what do I do....I went to Lowes. I bought the "blue" bag. Where was my list? Who knows. What did I come home with?

Mortons White Crystal Water Softening Salt

And on the bottom of the bag it says...Solar Water Softening Salt.

water_soft_salt.gif

So, are they white? If you rinse them do they turn clear?

OMG! Demenshia! I think I messed up...AGAIN!!! I got everything else right...even went to Cierra Candles in Reno and had a blast! So then what do I do....I went to Lowes. I bought the "blue" bag. Where was my list? Who knows. What did I come home with?

Mortons White Crystal Water Softening Salt

And on the bottom of the bag it says...Solar Water Softening Salt.

water_soft_salt.gif

Don't ask me! *lol* All Lowes had were these I bought and some other ones, pellets, that are wrong. I'm really good at finding the WRONG ones! *lol* I would love to find much bigger ones, like at that salt works place or whatever it was called. Those would be so cool!

I think Demenshia said she puts hers in those organza bags. I'll go take a look. I took some out of the bag a little while ago and rinsed them off. They are now on tin foil in a cookie sheet drying. They should be good and dry by Sun morning. *lol* I'm impatient.:embarasse

I've been playing, I rinsed them, left them in the collander for about 10-15 min. then poured them out onto a towel and patted with another towel to dry. I put mine into a mason jar, added the color, shook gently, added the FO, shook gently, poured out on cookie sheet lined w/aluminum foil to dry. So far so good, they smell great and are beautiful.