scented rocks

Sorry wasn't able to get on the forums yesterday so missed your question. I'm at work so can't just upload the pic, so here is a link to a pic of my scented slat rock:

http://www.sunlightexpressions.com/fpdb/images/Salt_Rocks.jpg

and here is one with them in sachets:

http://www.sunlightexpressions.com/fpdb/images/Sachets.jpg

Hope that works... I scent and color them, then heat them up with my heat gun while dabbing them with a paper towl to make sure they are dry, them put them in a canning jar until ready to bag them. My 1 oz sachet I make lasts anywhere from 3-6 weeks in my car, but I smoke in it so not sure if that takes some of the life out of it or not. HTH

Thanks for the help! I just made my first batch. They smell awesome. Do you need to heat them, because mine smell really good on there own. Does heating help once the scent starts to fade? Anyway, one more great idea I found thanks to CT and all of you! Happy Smelling. :thumbsup:

Sorry wasn't able to get on the forums yesterday so missed your question. I'm at work so can't just upload the pic, so here is a link to a pic of my scented slat rock:

http://www.sunlightexpressions.com/fpdb/images/Salt_Rocks.jpg

and here is one with them in sachets:

http://www.sunlightexpressions.com/fpdb/images/Sachets.jpg

Hope that works... I scent and color them, then heat them up with my heat gun while dabbing them with a paper towl to make sure they are dry, them put them in a canning jar until ready to bag them. My 1 oz sachet I make lasts anywhere from 3-6 weeks in my car, but I smoke in it so not sure if that takes some of the life out of it or not. HTH

Demenshia,

How do these do in the electric warmer and how long does the scent last?

These are absolutely beautiful, definatly worth giving it a try.

I use them on an electric warmer to fill the room with scent. I'm not home much right now, so not sure exactly how long they last on a warmer as I change scents too often lol. If it were on all day I think they wouldn't last as long though. But the sachets in a car last me anywhere from 3-6 weeks before I need to change them. HTH

That's the amount I use..2g for a really light FO. I was a bit shocked at how little it took as well. But I guess the salt doesn't really absorb much of the FO it coats it instead so takes a lot less. HTH

Also forgot to state earlier that when I'm dabbing them to dry them I wear latex gloves, that way I don't get a ton of FO or coloring on my hands :)

The Salt Works is where I get my salt from, I've been doing those for a couple of years. They have some recipes too.

If you rinse the salt first and let dry before you add anything to them the salt gets really translucent too.

I've heated them in liquid potpourri burners and the scent lasts all day.

You can also take them and re-scent them once they don't smell anymore, add them to regular potpourri for extra scenting.

Also if you add some Dendritic salt, like 5% to your mix it will help retain your FO longer. This salt also helps keep the scent longer in bath fizzes and bath salts. Just remember with bath stuff not to use basil, oregano, thyme, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, black pepper, and bay (Pimenta and Laurus). ;)

Don't feel bad about those flour/salt rocks! That was the absolute very first thing I made with my first fo sample purchase from the classies. I consider it one step under a useless waste of FO. Lol. My dd helped and that was fun for her. I think the 'marbles' you guys are making are actually cute. I intended for mine to be orange (dd fave color) but it turned out barely peachy, and then once dried, plain ol' yucky creamy flour color, lol. And yes they smelled wonderful if you put them up to your nose. They were so ugly I decided to put them in opaque baggies. I tied some up in a peice of material and put it on my dd's window sill, hoping the suns warmth would help emit the scent through out her room..... to no avail. :( This was in August and even now they smell good under your nose, but that's it. Maybe a smaller place like a drawer or car might have been better. They have not gotten moldy and here in Oregon... just about EVERYTHING gets moldy, lol.

The main reason I replied to this thread was to share how we tried to make them nice looking... before they hardened we got into her rubber stamp collection and we stamped the pictures on them. Dip the stamp into the ink pad just like normal, blot on paper towell and stamp gently on the dough. You could get a few pics out of one dip on the ink pad. And usually the second and thrid ones looked best. Some we did flat, but the edges splayed out and look crackly... others we rolled into balls and then did them like you would Russian Tea Cakes... like rounded off rectangles, and either left them 'natural' or took a fine tip marker to write in words like 'love' 'peace' 'joy' etc. With the right coloring the natural rocks would have looked pretty cool. I also had to keep flipping mine over. They were supposed to be dry waaaaaaaaaaaay sooner than they were. Some of the flat ones would break. It was just not worth it, lol. Fun project to do with kids...or make them in pretty colors like you did and they would be adorable kids room type fresheners. I'd be willing to try this one more time, with more fo and for under a car seat or something perhaps:confused:

Demenshia, my crystals seem to be smaller than yours. I scented them last night, took some out this morning but them on a dish seem to smell pretty good, would like to know how I could package them besides plastic bags was thinking of jars but that can be rather expensive. If you or anyone else has some ideas please let me know. Thanks

The Salt Works is where I get my salt from, I've been doing those for a couple of years. They have some recipes too.

If you rinse the salt first and let dry before you add anything to them the salt gets really translucent too.

I've heated them in liquid potpourri burners and the scent lasts all day.

You can also take them and re-scent them once they don't smell anymore, add them to regular potpourri for extra scenting.

Also if you add some Dendritic salt, like 5% to your mix it will help retain your FO longer. This salt also helps keep the scent longer in bath fizzes and bath salts. Just remember with bath stuff not to use basil, oregano, thyme, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, black pepper, and bay (Pimenta and Laurus). ;)

Rebecca, What is the Salt works web site? I googled it and found a site but couldn't find any recipes.

I did try some with the ice cream salt I had downstairs. It looked like the same size as Demenshia's pictures. I put a drop of green dye in it and some Tequila Lime FO into a jar and shook. Smells great. I am going to put some of it around the house today to check it out. Thanks for the ideas!