Using zinc wick with soy wax?

I am using Golden Brand 415 (soy), 8 oz. tureen, HTP 1312 wicks. I found some 62-51-18 zinc wicks and thought, I would try them and see what happens, I actually like it better than the HTP wicks, I only put 1 wick in the jar and I can get the zinc wicks locally and the HTP's I have to order out of state. But, when I get on other websites that say they are selling 100% soy candles, they are using cotton or paper wicks. Why are they using the paper or cotton wicks? I would just like to get all of my supplies locally (which saves me on shipping/handling) I guess whatever works for me, but still, there are SO MANY BRILLIANT/SMART people on this board, I want your opinions, without this board and the great people on it, I would have went crazy years ago. Thank you in advance.

Lot's of people consider zinc wicks to be 'old school'. You won't find too many recommendations for zinc's in soy, but that's what I prefer. Just really like the rigid nature of the zinc core vs anything else ... & I've tried almost everything. Suggestions & recommendations are nice, but you need to find what you like working w/ best.

Susan.

I think its two things - marketing - "cotton" or "unbleached cotton" sounds so natural - but its also its a crop that I've read is grown with a lot of pesticides. Hemp wicks seem to be much more free of that sometimes its grown with ZERO pesticides. The hemp wicks are also much hotter than zincs - and thats the second reason - zinc wicks are "cool" wicks as opposed to the others you normally see being used like HTP, CD, cotton, (Edit: and of course, your "paper" wicks), etc. I also guess people still think zinc is like lead wicks - which of course they are not. Sometimes zincs are just what you need too - I've found that they work really well in the couple of soy/para blends I've tried.

Personally if a wax "system" worked well with zincs - I wouldn't worry what others used - and I would use them. MANY people use HTPs and CDs in soy - and they do burn well, I personally prefer a more centered burn - so I use cottons or hemps instead, but I would use ANY wick if it was the best one for a particular candle.

Good luck!

I have been making soy candles for about 3 years and the best wicks that work for me are HTP wicks. I started out using zinc but they fizzle out after a while. HTP give me a perferct burn pool and rarely, however sometimes, mushroom!

Mama

• 13 years later...
On 3/4/2007 at 11:34 PM, hotmama said:

I have been making soy candles for about 3 years and the best wicks that work for me are HTP wicks. I started out using zinc but they fizzle out after a while. HTP give me a perferct burn pool and rarely, however sometimes, mushroom!

Mama

Hi - i recently started using Cargill's Nature Wax C-3 Soy and used the HTP 104 wick; however, the melt pool was not good. it only burned around the wick and not the whole container. Is there a Wick you would suggest?  Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, IvysCandles said:

Hi - i recently started using Cargill's Nature Wax C-3 Soy and used the HTP 104 wick; however, the melt pool was not good. it only burned around the wick and not the whole container. Is there a Wick you would suggest?  Thank you in advance.

I know others here have more experience than I do with your wax, but I can suggest using CD (Stabilo) wicks or RRD cotton core wicks.  Your HTP104 could very well work in a smaller container than the one you tested.

• 4 weeks later...

I have also experienced using Zinc wicks in soy 464.  Nothing is worse than your candle going out....especially when there is no one else in the house but you. - So that is why I left off the zinc in soy. As Hotmama stated, they fizzle out after a while. HTH.