Can you lose your scent by leaving the lids off?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG...some things never change.

YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE BRUCE!

Nice to see you back ... hope your doing well. :D

Dang it, you caught me at a weak moment where my artistic temper got the best of me Mary! Not that it didn't need to be said but.... when they come here and have already been given a tutorial by god my 30 years of making candles don't count for much I guess and it makes me sad. :sad2:

Bruce

Nice to see you back ... hope your doing well. :D

Dang it, you caught me at a weak moment where my artistic temper got the best of me Mary! Not that it didn't need to be said but.... when they come here and have already been given a tutorial by god my 30 years of making candles don't count for much I guess and it makes me sad. :sad2:

Bruce

Bruce,

I never once said that your experience was not valid or important. I appreciate what you have done and the posts and threads, here, that you have probably contributed to.

You're upset because I wanted to give God some glory for bringing the same thought to my mind that someone else confirmed - a heating point of 180? I thought that was awesome.

When I was homeschooling my son I was a little afraid that I couldn't teach him to read. I had a lot of people against me. I prayed and the Lord brought the thought to my mind to teach him the alphabet by singing the Alphabet song. A couple of days later I was reading a book by Ruth Beechick on tutoring and she said, "The best way to teach your child the alphabet is by using the alphabet song."

Don't you think I was ecstatic to find out that the God I serve would help me even if I was all alone and being pressured on every side? I would hope you would.

He gave me a place to anchor myself because I was reading too many different ways and techniques to do the candles. This Board can be confusing because, at times, you don't know if the person is using soy, making pillars, votives or jar candles.

So, I went to God and He answered. I am not ashamed to tell that to anyone. I'm not ashamed to say that I trust in God.

He also gave us a brain to use and people in our pathway to help us. You've taken the stance that I have not listened to you at all. I have read and listened to every person that has responded to any question I have put out.

My candles are burning smooth, strong and slow so I am selling them. I will be perfecting and testing many things throughout the time I feel to do this. That is a no brainer.

I don't need to wait a year to sell what I have. I will be even better in a year, but I don't have to wait to be perfect. The people, who are lots of our friends, are happy with what I have produced for them. They will buy from me now and buy when I am even better. If they aren't they know I will make good. It is an excellent situation that I have found myself in and I am going for it.

Thank you again and I appreciate all of your hard work.

they come here and have already been given a tutorial by god my 30 years of making candles don't count for much I guess and it makes me sad. :sad2: Bruce

NOW LISTEN TO ME....IF ANYONE MAKES BRUCE SAD AGAIN THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE TO ANSWER TO ME. I've lost my patience. :grin2:

We're talking about a master chandler FHG, show some repect.

NOW LISTEN TO ME....IF ANYONE MAKES BRUCE SAD AGAIN THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE TO ANSWER TO ME. I've lost my patience. :grin2:

We're talking about a master chandler FHG, show some respect.

I believe I have shown him respect. I can express the way I feel and still respect him. I don't believe I have been rude to anyone on this thread.

I'm sure he appreciates your acknowledging his expertise.

Dang, Well hmmm....

If candle making is such a no brainer, then why does it hurt our brains to wick them freaken jars at times? :Werd:

This is such a joke it ain't even funny anymore.

I have been at this for 7yrs already and I still have wicking problems here and there.

I need to take lessons from OP...

Dang, Well hmmm....

If candle making is such a no brainer, then why does it hurt our brains to wick them freaken jars at times? :Werd:

This is such a joke it ain't even funny anymore.

I have been at this for 7yrs already and I still have wicking problems here and there.

I need to take lessons from OP...

I believe that I said it is a "no brainer" that we would continue to perfect our craft.

I'd like to know how you've managed to learn the craft and test burn all of your fragrances, all the way through in less than 2 weeks while trying to figure out the right temp to pour. It appears to me that you came here for quick answers to just make a candle and sell it. In other words, you appear as someone that is here to use the advice of professionals who have spent alot of time, tears and money to perfect their craft to allow you to make a quick buck. I hope for your sake nothing bad happens to someone that purchased one of your candles. Do you have insurance or is god going to tell you where to find the infamous pot of gold under the rainbow when or if you're sued?

Christine

Can I get an AMEN?:smiley2:

I'd like to know how you've managed to learn the craft and test burn all of your fragrances, all the way through in less than 2 weeks while trying to figure out the right temp to pour. It appears to me that you came here for quick answers to just make a candle and sell it. In other words, you appear as someone that is here to use the advice of professionals who have spent alot of time, tears and money to perfect their craft to allow you to make a quick buck. I hope for your sake nothing bad happens to someone that purchased one of your candles. Do you have insurance or is god going to tell you where to find the infamous pot of gold under the rainbow when or if you're sued?

Christine

Can I get an AMEN?:smiley2:

As is the nature of Forum Boards our questions can be perceived any way the reader wants to perceive them.

I'm not grinding this topic any more.

I use State Farm Insurance.

Thanks for your response.

As is the nature of Forum Boards our questions can be perceived any way the reader wants to perceive them.

I'm not grinding this topic any more.

Thanks for your response.

:yay:

You may want to re-check your policy. It's my understanding that State Farm does not carry or offer product liability. My agent had me all excited that I could have a policy rider on our house insurance for less than $200 more a year, only to call me the next day with the news that he was, in fact, wrong, and that State Farm does not offer product liability...

As a Christian and preacher's wife, I can certainly relate to trusting God. I believe that He places people in our path for a reason, though. I also believe that when this happens, we would be wise to listen! There are chandlers here who have been doing this for many years and have great knowledge and expertise. Perhaps God allowed you to find this forum so that you could be told to slow down and take the time to learn from those that He has made available to you. I know you are excited, and I'm not doubting that God placed candle making on your heart; however, you need to listen to the advice of those He has placed in your path and not get ahead of yourself (and Him).

P.S. Something else to think about: As a Christian, everything we do is supposed to be as unto Him and for His glory and honor. You should want to do this to the absolute best of your ability and produce a high quality product that is safe. You can only do this if you truly know your product inside & out, backwards & forwards... you get the picture. You honestly can not do that in just a few short weeks with as many scents and sizes that you are offerring.

You may want to re-check your policy. It's my understanding that State Farm does not carry or offer product liability. My agent had me all excited that I could have a policy rider on our house insurance for less than $200 more a year, only to call me the next day with the news that he was, in fact, wrong, and that State Farm does not offer product liability...

As a Christian and preacher's wife, I can certainly relate to trusting God. I believe that He places people in our path for a reason, though. I also believe that when this happens, we would be wise to listen! There are chandlers here who have been doing this for many years and have great knowledge and expertise. Perhaps God allowed you to find this forum so that you could be told to slow down and take the time to learn from those that He has made available to you. I know you are excited, and I'm not doubting that God placed candle making on your heart; however, you need to listen to the advice of those He has placed in your path and not get ahead of yourself (and Him).

P.S. Something else to think about: As a Christian, everything we do is supposed to be as unto Him and for His glory and honor. You should want to do this to the absolute best of your ability and produce a high quality product that is safe. You can only do this if you truly know your product inside & out, backwards & forwards... you get the picture. You honestly can not do that in just a few short weeks with as many scents and sizes that you are offerring.

Thank you and an excellent post.

One of my suppliers told me to call them and stay off this forum. lol!

The exact same thing happened to me with State Farm insurance a few years ago! I got all excited only to be extremely bummed out the next day lol. And the price was gonna be SO good ! ahh well. Yes ForHisGlory, I would definately double check that State Farm policy!

Wow, I bet you do have a supplier or even more than one who at this point would want you to stay off this forum!! Why do YOU suppose that might be? ;) What might they have to lose if you stay here and accidentally learn something?!

The exact same thing happened to me with State Farm insurance a few years ago! I got all excited only to be extremely bummed out the next day lol. And the price was gonna be SO good ! ahh well. Yes ForHisGlory, I would definitely double check that State Farm policy!

Wow, I bet you do have a supplier or even more than one who at this point would want you to stay off this forum!! Why do YOU suppose that might be? ;) What might they have to lose if you stay here and accidentally learn something?!

I'm not doing anything that is that hard. I checked around, ordered the best and the candles are great.

Pillars would have to be way hard and time consuming. I've seen some awesome pictures in the Gallery. Wow! Very talented people.

The only thing that has taken some time is my coffee and pie candle, because obviously it's two and three layers. Both of those are great. I don't carry that many choices to start - soooo - I was able to test those for the burn time, scent throw, burn pool and wick, etc.

I'm sure my supplier would like to just answer my questions without all the other unnecessary input. That in itself saves time. I'm sure that was the point.

We designed my label in one day. Very nice. My daughter is awesome. She is very computer literate, builds websites and is great with the digital camera.

I didn't know that I needed to put out a diary, but this isn't my first Rodeo. I have wax in several closets and coffee cans with the spout bent into them. lol! I've been wicking and pouring and repouring candles for several years. Never thought I would be selling them, though. Just doing it for myself.

I've been around the craft show scene for some time. I have sold my specialty painted furniture and Victorian Birdhouses for some time. Have a couple of friends in other towns that do the candles. I've talked with them quite a bit during our craft show times. I am not interested in the craft shows anymore. This area, that I live in, has so many candle vendors they don't allow any more in anyway. Same with the soap and jewelry.

I am checking with my agent again today. My daughter's State Farm agent covers her Product Liability. Perhaps they have gone through another company.

Anyway, thanks to those that have encouraged me and pointedly answered my questions. I did want to verify my information just because I found a Forum and wanted to compare notes.

This Board is a great place and the search engine is an awesome tool! I found out that I don't really need to ask questions, most of them have already been asked!

Hmmmm

Just come across this post and i have to say - people really need to calm down and see things from both points of view. Some people are just lucky and get the right combination of wick / scent / additives their first time! Sometimes you're unlucky and don't find out the right combination for ages!! Juts one of those things and to be honest, none of us knows what's going on in people's lives. I'd been making candles for months before i found this board and ok, i had lots of questions, but i'd also managed to perfect a few candles by then anyway.

I love this board and have learnt so much and some people on here are absolutely brilliant. However some people tend to express their opinion in rather a harsh way which causes all these arguments on here. I know some people think that people should be grown up to take what you're given, but i doubt many people like being outworldy criticised and so, does it really hurt to spend a few minutes phrasing things in an informative, nice and helpful way?

And i know this is all MY opinion, but well, my friend has a great phrase (not sure where it's from) but:

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!!!!

Hmmmm

Just come across this post and i have to say - people really need to calm down and see things from both points of view. Some people are just lucky and get the right combination of wick / scent / additives their first time! Sometimes you're unlucky and don't find out the right combination for ages!! Juts one of those things and to be honest, none of us knows what's going on in people's lives. I'd been making candles for months before i found this board and ok, i had lots of questions, but i'd also managed to perfect a few candles by then anyway.

I love this board and have learnt so much and some people on here are absolutely brilliant. However some people tend to express their opinion in rather a harsh way which causes all these arguments on here. I know some people think that people should be grown up to take what you're given, but i doubt many people like being outworldy criticised and so, does it really hurt to spend a few minutes phrasing things in an informative, nice and helpful way?

And i know this is all MY opinion, but well, my friend has a great phrase (not sure where it's from) but:

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!!!!

Oh my Lord have mercy on my soul! Someone has a revelation!!!!!

Thank you so much for this post! You hit the nail on the head! It is just working for me because God wanted it to! What else can I say!

YOU ROCK, SUGARYSWEET95!!!!!!

I pour straight paraffin for my tarts and pillars and a 50/50 blend for my containers..I pour in my f.o. in my paraffin around 180 and mix well..in fact I mix a lot..then pour...as someone said the top layer may lose it's fragrance over time but once you start burning it it doesn't factor in..also..I don't use anything like a ziploc or saran wrap if I'm going to store for a long period time (6 months or more) however..the new Press and Seal is this candlemaker's best friend...saran and ziploc suck the scent where this press and seal just keeps the air out...I can't live without it now..I just put it over my container top, pull it tight and then screw the cap back on...I'm using candles for myself that are over a year old and they are still fragrant.

I pour straight paraffin for my tarts and pillars and a 50/50 blend for my containers..I pour in my f.o. in my paraffin around 180 and mix well..in fact I mix a lot..then pour...as someone said the top layer may lose it's fragrance over time but once you start burning it it doesn't factor in..also..I don't use anything like a ziploc or saran wrap if I'm going to store for a long period time (6 months or more) however..the new Press and Seal is this candlemaker's best friend...saran and ziploc suck the scent where this press and seal just keeps the air out...I can't live without it now..I just put it over my container top, pull it tight and then screw the cap back on...I'm using candles for myself that are over a year old and they are still fragrant.

Excellent post! Thanks.

Sounds like a good idea - Press and Seal.

After I clean my green leaf lettuce I put the leaves between paper towels, close the gallon ziplock bag and leave a small part open. I then insert a straw, suck out the air and seal it!

Is that cheaper than a Press and Seal? :laugh2:

Thanks again, comfortscents! I love to hear different ideas. It's just fun to read them.

I love looking at the Gallery pictures too! It's like window shopping! lol!

Very wonderful and talented people here - whether newbie or experienced. Everyone has something to contribute!

Thanks - i just try to see things from both points of view and i do try to be nice (as i hate it when people are rude to me!!!! lol!!!!)

I hate being rude to people and I don't like people being rude to me, BUT I am sure we all have our moments! lol!

Thanks again for being so nice!

I am checking with my agent again today. My daughter's State Farm agent covers her Product Liability. Perhaps they have gone through another company.

My husband works for State Farm and when I checked into it, they didn't offer product liability for the chandler as a manufacturer of candles. If I purchase products from another company, like Mia Bella or Home Interiors, they would cover the product if it are damaged at a show, during a natural disaster that occurs in my home, etc but only to replace the product. It is up to Mia Bella and their insurance to cover any damages incurred by a defective candle. That is why I don't have SF insurance. I hope that makes sense. The insurance business is ever-changing so I don't know if they have changed their coverage or not. Even though he works there, we get our home, auto and business insurance through another company because we feel that the left hand needs to know what the right hand is doing. If we had business insurance with one company and home with another, they might both find some way to try to pin the payment on the other and tie up our money. We are planning to reevaluate our insurance and if SF will cover our manufacturing business we would like to support the insurer that provided my husband's employment.

I have my whole candle and soap business covered through State Farm and I manufacture all my stuff. They sent an agent out to inspect my products, shop and set-up and my business was given the O.K. I've had my business insured through SF now for about 2 years now. My home and car insurance is also through SF.

not sure about the price for his glory..before I was making candles a candle maker told me that the same theory ziploc uses to keep odors out doesn't work in reverse..so I was buying hundreds..yes I said hundreds of candles and being touched with a bit of OCD I can't burn a second candle til the first one is done..(I'm working on this..lol) so I was storing everything in ziplocs thinking that would be the answer...it wasn't..I tried the stretch and seal and because it's a thinner material it's easy to get it air tight..all though I never heard the straw and the ziploc before...lol..it's worth every penny imo...I also make soaps..well I primarily make soaps and the stretch and seal has cut down on the sweating A LOT...

not sure about the price for his glory..before I was making candles a candle maker told me that the same theory ziploc uses to keep odors out doesn't work in reverse..so I was buying hundreds..yes I said hundreds of candles and being touched with a bit of OCD I can't burn a second candle til the first one is done..(I'm working on this..lol) so I was storing everything in ziplocs thinking that would be the answer...it wasn't..I tried the stretch and seal and because it's a thinner material it's easy to get it air tight..all though I never heard the straw and the ziploc before...lol..it's worth every penny imo...I also make soaps..well I primarily make soaps and the stretch and seal has cut down on the sweating A LOT...

LOL! Well, I don't buy an overload of food, so I haven't needed the Press and Seal, although, once in a while I wish I had one. Never do the Sam's shopping. I don't see any sense in that since I don't have the Walton's living here. I never buy in bulk! lol!

I use the Ziplock bags to store the leftover wax from my candles. It isn't much for each scent. I would only use that for grating - like on my coconut cream pie candle.

My sister used to do soap. She sells her pottery now. Very talented artist. They used to have goats and made the soap from the goat's milk. I think she's still a leftover hippy of sorts. lol!

Thanks again!

My husband works for State Farm and when I checked into it, they didn't offer product liability for the chandler as a manufacturer of candles. If I purchase products from another company, like Mia Bella or Home Interiors, they would cover the product if it are damaged at a show, during a natural disaster that occurs in my home, etc but only to replace the product. It is up to Mia Bella and their insurance to cover any damages incurred by a defective candle. That is why I don't have SF insurance. I hope that makes sense. The insurance business is ever-changing so I don't know if they have changed their coverage or not. Even though he works there, we get our home, auto and business insurance through another company because we feel that the left hand needs to know what the right hand is doing. If we had business insurance with one company and home with another, they might both find some way to try to pin the payment on the other and tie up our money. We are planning to reevaluate our insurance and if SF will cover our manufacturing business we would like to support the insurer that provided my husband's employment.

Excellent information, GingerKay. I agree with you on the same company that carries your homeowner's insurance should carry the product liability insurance too!

They have another thread discussing insurance. You should copy and paste this info there, if you have the time.

Thanks again!