Can you lose your scent by leaving the lids off?

I have my whole candle and soap business covered through State Farm and I manufacture all my stuff. They sent an agent out to inspect my products, shop and set-up and my business was given the O.K. I've had my business insured through SF now for about 2 years now. My home and car insurance is also through SF.

Glad your business is doing well! I've never wanted to do soap, but it sure is pretty. A friend of mine used to do that around here, but the competition was a killer and the close knit community is very unforgiving of anyone that wasn't born and raised here! Craft shows are a tough racket in my area!

I've always liked State Farm! "Just like a neighbor - State Farm is there!" - isnt' that their theme song? :D

Thanks for you imput!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not doing anything that is that hard. I checked around, ordered the best and the candles are great.

Well everyone, that explains it. I guess we're all the idiots.....thinking this actually took some sort of knowledge or something. tease.gif

I'm quit sure that FHG doesn't have a clue of what to even look for in a good or bad burning candle. The only comment she can make (and repeatedly at that) is that the candles are burning evenly and slowly......Hmmmm. I can make any candle burn slow and even, that doesn't mean it's made correctly though.

Makes me wonder if you have any clue about melt pool size, wicks, flame height, etc.

(Sorry Bruce...had to quit the club for this one).

Wish I could keep my mouth shut on this whole debate...I've been pouring candles almost 5 years now. I wasn't aware of boards like this when I started...I live in Western NY and about 12 miles from here is a candle making company that's national like yankee and makes a damn good product..it's Drew Candle. Anyway..being naive I called them and told them I wanted to learn to pour candles..I spent about a month at their manufacturing facility. Now keep in mind this factory poured thousands of candles everyday and me being a small cottage industry didn't think there was much I could apply but when they told me yes I could come I jumped at it. It was like taking the SAT's without opening a book. Manufacturing one or a thousand in essence requires the same steps...testing, testing, testing. For the first 3 years of my business I was able to claim a loss on my income taxes now I'm finally in the black. I do stick with preblended waxes to this day but as with everything else a better newer product is always becoming available..I buy and try everything and don't ask others what they think..I think candlemaking is a very personal business..so many variables factor in so that what works for me may not work for someone else...when someone (usually a customer) gives me the impression that they want to start making candles because "how hard could it be, you just melt wax, scent and voila you have a candle" I say nothing. In my opinion there's very little money to be made making candles and soaps...most of us do it because we love it and it's a great creative outlet...however, when you begin selling them you owe your customer, your retailer that carries your product and youself the absolute safest and best candle you can produce. And don't knock insurance..I added a million dollar umbrella to my atlantic mutual homeowners insurance policy. Just this past weekend I started a little blaze in my work room..and I know what I'm doing..lol.

Be careful using the ziplock bags, as they suck out the FO some how. I started using cello bags. They sell some ziplocks that are ok, I think they are called polypro. Alot of people use the little shoe box containers with a 5 on bottom for storing leftover wax etc. Just make sure you use seperate ones for each scent.

All StateFarms seem to be different from State to State. We use them for our home and cars, have been very happy with them:)

I know I need to get better quality wax, but I am getting the paraffin cheap and wanted to try doing my own additives.

Just curious--why? If what I've just read through 8 pages of bible verses, defenses for not testing...etc. WHY? You obviously like the way your candles are selling...so why bother trying to *play* with additives?

And to answer your ORIGINAL question, YES. If you leave the top off your containers your candles WILL lose scent over time. How much scent depends on a variety of conditions.

Just curious--why? If what I've just read through 8 pages of bible verses, defenses for not testing...etc. WHY? You obviously like the way your candles are selling...so why bother trying to *play* with additives?

And to answer your ORIGINAL question, YES. If you leave the top off your containers your candles WILL lose scent over time. How much scent depends on a variety of conditions.

Amen.................

Holy Crap!! This thread is like a train wreck, I want to look away, but I can't.

I do have one question though. And a simple yes or no answer will suffice.

FHG, Have you tested every single scent in every size jar you are selling, all the way to the bottom? In other words, do you know how EACH one will burn ALL the way through?

Holy Crap!! This thread is like a train wreck, I want to look away, but I can't.

I do have one question though. And a simple yes or no answer will suffice.

FHG, Have you tested every single scent in every size jar you are selling, all the way to the bottom? In other words, do you know how EACH one will burn ALL the way through?

lol...we've been there with her on this issue, done that, bought the T-shirt, wore it out and handed it downl But I'm with you on the train wreck..lol

hey listen....since they put anna nicole in the ground my life has been boring...oh please don't take this away from me???!!!!! lol

I left butt marks on the sofa cushion from all the anna nicole drama...now it's just perusing the board looking for something I can latch onto...lol

ROFL! You guys crack me up!! I haven’t laughed this hard in a long time

Littlefeather, I love your av, that is just precious.

And as far as the post that has grown to 9 pages long,

the bible banging is uncalled for just as much as

anyone being so called rude.

God, make it stop, please!

Littlefeather, I love your av, that is just precious.

And as far as the post that has grown to 9 pages long,

the bible banging is uncalled for just as much as

anyone being so called rude.

God, make it stop, please!

Thanks, he's my pride and joy.

As for my last post, I was not trying to be rude. I was just flabbergasted by this tread, and the two posts prior really made me laugh. That’s all I was trying to say and I apologize if it came across as rude.

I'm sorry if I have come across rude in any way also.

My husband just came in and I have gone over the comments with him and he said, "I want you to stop posting on that Forum. I don't want to hear any more paranoid comments. Talk to your suppliers."

So, I will refrain from posting, but I will lurk because there are some very interesting topics, as well as, pictures.

Good luck to everyone!

Hasta luego lugarto!

"I want you to stop posting on that Forum. I don't want to hear any more paranoid comments. Talk to your suppliers."

The only reason to even respond to this comment is incase a new person should come across this thread using the search engine down the road and think that everyone in this thread that advised you to slow down was paranoid! You have been given some VERY good and WISE advice from EXPERIENCED chandlers who were trying to HELP you. Their posts were not out of paranoia, jealousy, or deliberate attempts to discourage you. They were only trying to help you and perhaps prevent a tragedy down the road somewhere.

As for your original question, the short answer is yes, they do lose the scent over time.

The only reason to even respond to this comment is incase a new person should come across this thread using the search engine down the road and think that everyone in this thread that advised you to slow down was paranoid! You have been given some VERY good and WISE advice from EXPERIENCED chandlers who were trying to HELP you. Their posts were not out of paranoia, jealousy, or deliberate attempts to discourage you. They were only trying to help you and perhaps prevent a tragedy down the road somewhere.

As for your original question, the short answer is yes, they do lose the scent over time.

They will also see the rude and mindless comments made to people that are starting out. I ran across another thread that has the same type posting on it.

When I speak with my suppliers, who are also very experienced with their particular techniques and products, I receive pointed answers and guidance and politely at that. I take that guidance, buy their products and produce because they walk me through it and we are on the same page.

So, I asked a few questions after reading so many diverse directions on the Internet. I found that it was better to go back to what my suppliers were saying. Almost all the other suggestions have been based on products I am not even using. I think it's hard to give advice to someone that isn't using the same wax, wicks, etc. That can only be very confusing. I understand the nature of Forum Boards are like this many times. It comes with the territory.

I have a few scents that I have poured, tested and put on the shelves. The others that I am not happy with are still in the boxes in my library vanilla for one. I don't guess I need to burn all the jars the 4 lbs make for me when I have tested one, from each scent line, all the way down. So when that works and I am happy - I have a winner - I put that on the shelf. It didn't take me a year to see if it is what I wanted. Like I said, I didn't start out with a lot of scents and am still testing the others I have.

Why should I be berated for that? I know what I want and what I want to achieve. Just because it didn't take me three years to find that out I don't warrant that as a fire squad scenario. So, if I am lucky or blessed in this endeavor - so be it. I'm not apologizing for that and I won't apologize for believing in God either.

I also don't appreciate, where ever it got started, that I haven't and don't plan to listen to the advice of any of the people that gave me good advice. I believe I thanked enough people to make that obvious.

There have been some very kind and helpful people here and I have appreciated that.

I did feel that I wanted to make this final statement and since I have appeared to offend everyone, I will just lurk as I see all questions have been asked and answered. It's just a matter of going through the threads.

Once again, I thank all of you for your advice.

You may commence with your pot shots if you like. lol! I won't be lurking on this thread after this post I prefer to stay in a positive state of mind. It makes for a very productive day.

Someone told me that leaving the lids off of your candle jars will make them lose scent.

Umm...was it GOD? Maybe he told you this too!!

I was also wondering - while you are waiting to do a second pour do you lose scent during this wait period? It can be several hours! I've left them overnight and poured the second pour the next day.

Why ask us, when GOD is giving you the answers?

My candles are still not coming out strong enough. I've put the fragrance in at 170 and 150 and still getting the same results.

Ask GOD, he is apparently the 'candle pro' here!

It must be my wax. I am using straight paraffin because I just started it and can get if for $8 per 10 lbs. I wanted to do that starting out, but now I think I may just need a preblended wax after all.

Again, what did GOD tell you to use? You must listen to him, if you don't, you really don't want to find out what will happen next!

Any ideas? Thanks.

I don't know, I haven't heard from GOD yet, when he tells me, I will be sure and tell you (that is of course if he hasn't told you already!)

:eek: :rolleyes2

• 2 weeks later...
They will also see the rude and mindless comments made to people that are starting out. I ran across another thread that has the same type posting on it.

When I speak with my suppliers, who are also very experienced with their particular techniques and products, I receive pointed answers and guidance and politely at that. I take that guidance, buy their products and produce because they walk me through it and we are on the same page.

So, I asked a few questions after reading so many diverse directions on the Internet. I found that it was better to go back to what my suppliers were saying. Almost all the other suggestions have been based on products I am not even using. I think it's hard to give advice to someone that isn't using the same wax, wicks, etc. That can only be very confusing. I understand the nature of Forum Boards are like this many times. It comes with the territory.

I have a few scents that I have poured, tested and put on the shelves. The others that I am not happy with are still in the boxes in my library vanilla for one. I don't guess I need to burn all the jars the 4 lbs make for me when I have tested one, from each scent line, all the way down. So when that works and I am happy - I have a winner - I put that on the shelf. It didn't take me a year to see if it is what I wanted. Like I said, I didn't start out with a lot of scents and am still testing the others I have.

Why should I be berated for that? I know what I want and what I want to achieve. Just because it didn't take me three years to find that out I don't warrant that as a fire squad scenario. So, if I am lucky or blessed in this endeavor - so be it. I'm not apologizing for that and I won't apologize for believing in God either.

I also don't appreciate, where ever it got started, that I haven't and don't plan to listen to the advice of any of the people that gave me good advice. I believe I thanked enough people to make that obvious.

There have been some very kind and helpful people here and I have appreciated that.

I did feel that I wanted to make this final statement and since I have appeared to offend everyone, I will just lurk as I see all questions have been asked and answered. It's just a matter of going through the threads.

Once again, I thank all of you for your advice.

You may commence with your pot shots if you like. lol! I won't be lurking on this thread after this post I prefer to stay in a positive state of mind. It makes for a very productive day.

Oh goody - another person who promises us he/she will stop posting and then keeps breaking the promise.

But the weather is icky and I'm stuck in the house with the kids so at least I got some entertaining reading in.

Well I didnt get a chance at this one yet, and wasn't going to..but I felt bad for FHG..

I am glad her candles are doing well. I also pray to god, and even speak in TONGUE, and I do believe he does show us, and tell us things, when we ask. I just feel that she didn't deserve some of the rudness that was given to her. We can give someone our advice, and disapprove of their techniques without being rude.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Leisa

Well I didnt get a chance at this one yet, and wasn't going to..but I felt bad for FHG..

I am glad her candles are doing well. I also pray to god, and even speak in TONGUE, and I do believe he does show us, and tell us things, when we ask. I just feel that she didn't deserve some of the rudness that was given to her. We can give someone our advice, and disapprove of their techniques without being rude.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Leisa

Thank you, Leisa. I wasn't going to respond to this thread again, but I did want to thank you. I initially didn't want to post again, but the Board is just way too exciting not want to be a part of it.

The Galleries are filled with wonderful talented people. I am proud of everyone!

I have seen the Lord answer prayers for me that are just astounding and only because I believed He would do it.

I remember a time when my husband was laid off. We were dead broke. I love to walk and my tennis shoes were totally worn out. I prayed that He would provide me with another pair. The next morning I put on my old shoes and went walking. We lived in the country. When I got about two miles from home in the middle of nowhere there was a pair of Ladies Reebok walking shoes in my size sitting on the side of the road.

I brought them home. No one else lived nearby, so I knew they were mine. How many women wear a size 10 1/2? lol! My husband asked me where I got them. I said, "God gave them to me."

That is only one thing. I've been living for him for 22 years. After being an alcoholic and a cocaine user I can only appreciate that He was real. I thought the Bible was only poetry and history. After He filled me with His spirit I understand that the world and all that is therein was formed by His Word. Astounding.

Anyway, He did open this door for me and yes my candles are doing well. I have put out the scents that I have tested and they are selling. I am only using one supplier right now so I can ease into other experimentation slowly. I have appreciated every word on this Board, well, most of them. LOL

And, yes, the Lord does put in our mind what we should do when He makes plans for us. But, he also puts people and information in our path. He gives us direction, but He also expects us to do some of the work - hence - the Internet Forum Boards, links, suppliers and libraries.

It's foolish to think that He tells us every breath to take. He doesn't do that. He will give us clear direction and then we have to do the rest.

God Bless and thanks again. I am sorry that I caused such a pot stirring thread. I wish I had used the search engine first, but alas, it's too late. :(