Can you lose your scent by leaving the lids off?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since God told you to heat your wax to 180, and you're still having problems, maybe you should ask him what gives?

I'm sorry that I didn't explain in the beginning that I never read anything that gave a definite of how high to heat the wax, other than not going too high to burn. All I read was a pour temperature.

After being a bit frustrated I really prayed about it and have been doing the 180. I asked on the Board what people were doing because I was seeing several difference temperatures. Now, I know after the other day, that the 180 is going to work fine for me. Just a comforting moment that I heard it in prayer first - Oh ye of little faith. lol

Thank you all for your comments. I'll leave you to your Board.

:D

Thanks to all of you that have been a big help.

No, he was telling her my pulse rate as I read ForHisGlorys threads....

If god told me to go with 180 I don't think I would have to ask a bunch of candle makers on a candle board what they do. If god is that technical with you this board will not be any help to you at all. I know god has all the answers, I just never thought about asking him about what wax to use and scents ect. Wonder if he could end the many long debates on this board about which is better paraffin or soy?? Now that would be a miracle!

Even Gideon asked for confirmation to make sure of God's voice. Sometimes we want to be sure it isn't just our thinking. Just part of being human. :)

...and I hope God has his checkbook at the ready should your "perfect" candles burn someones house down.

There's more to candle making that just making one that smells good. Even though some may be burning nicely, that doesn't mean they all will. Every scent you make needs to be tested all the way down. Every change you make, from FO% to additives, needs to be retested.

I have no problem with your obvious faith, but I do with your obvious ignorance over the fact that YOU are making the damn candles, that YOU are laible for their safety, and that SOMEONE ELSE is in danger if you are not doing it properly. Is God going to be there to make sure everyone gets out of the house safely when something goes wrong?

Even Gideon asked for confirmation to make sure of God's voice. Sometimes we want to be sure it isn't just our thinking. Just part of being human. :)

Good Morning: I'm sure what everyone is trying to tell you is that you need to be very careful when selling to the public and slow down. I just took the time to read through all of your posts. On 2/15, you came to this board for supplier information and from what I read, didn't have a clue about making candles let alone the business side of it. I can honestly say, and I may be wrong, there is no way possible that you properly tested your candles. You stated in a previous post that you want to make sure you have asked every question. Well you didn't, and I am one chandler that is not going to tell you what questions you DID NOT ask, you'll figure them out yourself...it's part of the learning process, however, you are also not accepting of any of the answers that everyone has provided...well the answers you don't want to hear anyway. I offer 2 different sized jar candles. My recipe is perfected and I still test. You offer 8oz and 16oz...like me, and I'd like to know how you've managed to learn the craft and test burn all of your fragrances, all the way through in less than 2 weeks while trying to figure out the right temp to pour. It appears to me that you came here for quick answers to just make a candle and sell it. In other words, you appear as someone that is here to use the advice of professionals who have spent alot of time, tears and money to perfect their craft to allow you to make a quick buck. I hope for your sake nothing bad happens to someone that purchased one of your candles. Do you have insurance or is god going to tell you where to find the infamous pot of gold under the rainbow when or if you're sued?

Good Morning: I'm sure what everyone is trying to tell you is that you need to be very careful when selling to the public and slow down. I just took the time to read through all of your posts. On 2/15, you came to this board for supplier information and from what I read, didn't have a clue about making candles let alone the business side of it. I can honestly say, and I may be wrong, there is no way possible that you properly tested your candles. You stated in a previous post that you want to make sure you have asked every question. Well you didn't, and I am one chandler that is not going to tell you what questions you DID NOT ask, you'll figure them out yourself...it's part of the learning process, however, you are also not accepting of any of the answers that everyone has provided...well the answers you don't want to hear anyway. I offer 2 different sized jar candles. My recipe is perfected and I still test. You offer 8oz and 16oz...like me, and I'd like to know how you've managed to learn the craft and test burn all of your fragrances, all the way through in less than 2 weeks while trying to figure out the right temp to pour. It appears to me that you came here for quick answers to just make a candle and sell it. In other words, you appear as someone that is here to use the advice of professionals who have spent alot of time, tears and money to perfect their craft to allow you to make a quick buck. I hope for your sake nothing bad happens to someone that purchased one of your candles. Do you have insurance or is god going to tell you where to find the infamous pot of gold under the rainbow when or if you're sued?

I am carrying only 15 scents thus far. We have burned one candle from each scent. They are burning evenly and the smell is good. I didn't see any need to burn every candle that I poured after that. I'd have nothing left to sell.

I have listened to what everyone has said. It isn't my fault the candles are coming out good. I was simply tweaking to make sure my scent was at optimum.

Thanks again.

I am carrying only 15 scents thus far. We have burned one candle from each scent. They are burning evenly and the smell is good. I didn't see any need to burn every candle that I poured after that. I'd have nothing left to sell.

I have listened to what everyone has said. It isn't my fault the candles are coming out good. I was simply tweaking to make sure my scent was at optimum.

Thanks again.

That's what I can't figure out! My 8oz burns approx 55hrs...my 16 oz is near 110-120 hrs...there's more to a candle than even burning and scent throw. You would know this IF you asked all the questions. Did you pour all 15 scents on the same day and power burn 24 hrs a day? You state above "They are burning evenly and the smell is good" that right there tells me you haven't completed a test burn or would have stated, they BURNED as in past tense...and you are already selling?

That's what I can't figure out! My 8oz burns approx 55hrs...my 16 oz is near 110-120 hrs...there's more to a candle than even burning and scent throw. You would know this IF you asked all the questions. Did you pour all 15 scents on the same day and power burn 24 hrs a day? You state above "They are burning evenly and the smell is good" that right there tells me you haven't completed a test burn and are already selling.

I poured only two a day and sometimes only one.

I had already started before I registered here at CandleTech.

My daughter burns them in her store, I burn them and two other people.

image.php?u=6977&dateline=1171548407ForHisGlory user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_412742", true);

Enigma

ratingstar.gif Trader Rating: 0/0% </B>

icon1.gifRe: Newbie Information and Avatar/Sig Line Testing Area

Accidentally ran across this Forum while browsing the Internet. I just got started in the candle business and things are going well already. I don't have to have all of my product ready until March 1st, but people are already ordering!!

Thank God I found this place! I know I will need it.

Your first post to this board is above.

I rest my case. Christine

image.php?u=6977&dateline=1171548407ForHisGlory user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_412742", true);

Enigma

ratingstar.gif Trader Rating: 0/0% </B>

icon1.gifRe: Newbie Information and Avatar/Sig Line Testing Area

Accidentally ran across this Forum while browsing the Internet. I just got started in the candle business and things are going well already. I don't have to have all of my product ready until March 1st, but people are already ordering!!

Thank God I found this place! I know I will need it.

Your first post to this board is above.

I rest my case. Christine

And Christine? I had a couple of more scents that needed testing before March 1st. You seem to have the impression that I didn't read, print out or talk endlessly on the phone before I got started.

I already have a huge folder full of notes. It just works for me, that's all I can say.

Obviously when I say things are going well already, as my original post declares, it means I started out with things going well. Things are still going well.

How long have you been making candles?

Two weeks and I have to replace a professional vendor by March 1st!!!

That is from a post you answered less than three weeks ago. So you have a whole 5 weeks of candle making under your belt. You have been selling in your daughters store for what... 5 days and you have all this great input from all of your customers......I sure hope that your daughter had the good sense to get the insurance to cover her butt that you never bothered to get.

GOOD LUCK !!

My daughter burns them in her store, I burn them and two other people.

See, she's already burned two other people!

Seriously though, I don't think those two other people would be as reliable as you think. They could tell you the candle burned well and the throw was good but fail to mention that the melt pool was an inch deep in an hour. Who knows.

But now I will walk away because this thread is utterly useless. And like Bruce, I will start to bite my tongue.

I really don't understand why everyone is getting uptight over this. If For His Glory wants to do this her way, why even bother answering her questions. Don't answer anymore. She has all of her answers, let her go.

I really don't understand why everyone is getting uptight over this. If For His Glory wants to do this her way, why even bother answering her questions. Don't answer anymore. She has all of her answers, let her go.

Amen..............

EXACTLY what we all need to do.....ignore her questions!! If you see her post, walk on by and don't answer, no matter how upset you get. She isn't worth anymore of our time or trouble. She sure as hell isn't getting any of my valuable information, as I worked many years through many tears to get where I am with my business. She truly has selective hearing anyway, so why put ourselves out trying to persuade her to do things she isn't interested in hearing!! Hopefully if we stop answering her inane questions, she'll get the hint and go away. :cool2:

Hey, FHG,

I just realized that you've been making candles using the NG's tutorials. The two problems I've had with that was them having you add FO at the pouring temp (not at 180 and stir stir stir as you should) and not securing wicks.

PLEASE tell me that you've been securing wicks? I have a batch from when I first started making that didn't have secured wicks and as I've burned them, about half slide down to one side of the jar when the melt pool gets deep. Now, these AREN'T candles I've sold, but I have to reposition the wicks with a butter knife to burn to the bottom without the wick getting alongside the glass, and frankly *I'm* not comfortable burning them once there are about 3 inches or so left in the bottom.

I know you are doing this your way, with the selling stuff and all, but you did come here for advice. If you haven't secured your wicks with silicone adhesive, glue dots, or high temp hot glue, PULL YOUR CANDLES and fix them.

I still can't believe NG's tutorial specifically says you don't need to. I don't know WHAT they are thinking. SO not safe, and I've got some candles to prove it. Please say you already are glueing them down?!?!

-Kristi

Hey, FHG,

I just realized that you've been making candles using the NG's tutorials. The two problems I've had with that was them having you add FO at the pouring temp (not at 180 and stir stir stir as you should) and not securing wicks.

PLEASE tell me that you've been securing wicks? I have a batch from when I first started making that didn't have secured wicks and as I've burned them, about half slide down to one side of the jar when the melt pool gets deep. Now, these AREN'T candles I've sold, but I have to reposition the wicks with a butter knife to burn to the bottom without the wick getting alongside the glass, and frankly *I'm* not comfortable burning them once there are about 3 inches or so left in the bottom.

I know you are doing this your way, with the selling stuff and all, but you did come here for advice. If you haven't secured your wicks with silicone adhesive, glue dots, or high temp hot glue, PULL YOUR CANDLES and fix them.

I still can't believe NG's tutorial specifically says you don't need to. I don't know WHAT they are thinking. SO not safe, and I've got some candles to prove it. Please say you already are glueing them down?!?!

-Kristi

Kristi,

Thank you for this post! You can rest - lol - I did secure my wicks with silicone adhesive and my husband drilled holes in popsickle sticks to keep them in place. He's awful handy. :) I have printed pages of lots of other web sites and directions. I came here to pull the thoughts together because there was so many different suggestions.

You are right - I did follow the tutorial on adding the fragrance. Funny thing, the candles still smell very good. I did a coffee candle and it is great! I have since gone to putting my fragrance in at 180 and pouring at 160- all is well.

All the candles we have burned are acting the same - burning even and slow. My daughter is happy and so I am happy. She's is a very picky woman! lol

I poured my Amaretto today from NG and "OH MY GOODNESS" it is sooooo close to the real thing! I haven't had a drink in 22 years, but I still remember this one! lol! So excellent, I could have danced!

Yes, you are right, I did ask, but I don't respond to people in a rude way no matter how wrong they may appear to me. It doesn't help a thing and causes disunity, which we don't need in such a chaotic world. But, that's just me.

When I am wrong I don't mind apologizing. All I can say is that the candles smell great, they are burning great, my daughter is happy and so what else can I do? Why stop?

This scripture has been on my mind all day and so I"m gonna preach!

"And Moses said unto the children of Israel, See, the Lord hath called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah; And he hath filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship; and to devise curious works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, And in the cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of wood, to make any manner of cunning work. And he hath put in his heart that me may teach......" Exodus 35:30-34

He is the same - yesterday, today and forever!

When he laid it on my heart to make candles - He led me and leads me.

If I can't have faith in that then I need to roll up and die.

That will preach! Amen!

Thanks again, Kristi!