Can you lose your scent by leaving the lids off?

Someone told me that leaving the lids off of your candle jars will make them lose scent.

I was also wondering - while you are waiting to do a second pour do you lose scent during this wait period? It can be several hours! I've left them overnight and poured the second pour the next day.

My candles are still not coming out strong enough. I've put the fragrance in at 170 and 150 and still getting the same results.

It must be my wax. I am using straight paraffin because I just started it and can get if for $8 per 10 lbs. I wanted to do that starting out, but now I think I may just need a preblended wax after all.

Any ideas? Thanks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would order some good quality wax if it were me. Also you need to add your FO at a higher temp. I add mine around 180 to 185 depending on the FO. I am using the 6006 from IGI and it has great throw. Its a parasoy.
Everything I read said to add the fragrance right before you pour. I read that you should pour at around 150, therefore, the fragrance would have to sit.

Are you pouring at that temperature also?

Thanks!

I know I need to get better quality wax, but I am getting the paraffin cheap and wanted to try doing my own additives. I have 40 lbs left. lol! I'd like to stay with the paraffin. Just my preference. I mean instead of soy.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I bought some soy candles from Yankee Candle a long time ago and they burned so fast I don't think I could ever like soy again. Don't beat me! lol!

I am not sure how much oil you are using or from what supplier....which of course could both be factors but I would say for starters you need to crank the heat up before you add your fragrance oil. 185 is not uncommon with straight paraffin.

And, no, you do not "lose" scent while you are waiting to repour, nor do you "lose" scent if your lid is off your candle.Once the fragrance oil has been incorporated into the wax, it is there for the long haul.

(I remember asking that question once.)

I WILL let someone else explain oxidation and why using a lid seems to improve the cold throw.:D

I am not sure how much oil you are using or from what supplier....which of course could both be factors but I would say for starters you need to crank the heat up before you add your fragrance oil. 185 is not uncommon with straight paraffin.

And, no, you do not "lose" scent while you are waiting to repour, nor do you "lose" scent if your lid is off your candle.Once the fragrance oil has been incorporated into the wax, it is there for the long haul.

(I remember asking that question once.)

I WILL let someone else explain oxidation and why using a lid seems to improve the cold throw.:D

Thanks so much, TDTD! This is also very helpful. I guess I like the Science behind it or I can't understand what I'm doing - oxidation - interesting!

So, you add your fragrance at 185 and then pour after you stir it a couple minutes?

This is where I am getting confused. Heat temperature for melting, what temperature to add fragrance and what temperature to pour?

I am using NG's scents and straight paraffin. I am using 1/2 cup of Criscoe and 1 to 2 tsp 260 Vybar to 4 lbs. of wax. I'm using 3/4 cup of frangrance, which is the 1.5 oz limit. per lb.

Every type of wax is different for pour temps. Some pour at 180, some at 160 etc. You should follow the manufactors suggestion and go from there. If you add your FO at a low heat it wont bind well with the wax. Dont be afraid to add it at 180 or so, its not gonna hurt the FO.

Every type of wax is different for pour temps. Some pour at 180, some at 160 etc. You should follow the manufactors suggestion and go from there. If you add your FO at a low heat it wont bind well with the wax. Dont be afraid to add it at 180 or so, its not gonna hurt the FO.

Thank you jillgunter! That has helped me so much. I think it was just fear of doing it wrong.

Thanks!!!

I'd like to know more on this topic that DTDT brought up:

I WILL let someone else explain oxidation and why using a lid seems to improve the cold throw.

Can't answer you science question but you may want to go back to your formula. From what I remember reading, folks usually add 1 T of Crisco pp of wax. I don't use Crisco so you may want to do a search. You are adding 1/2 tsp of vybar pp of wax. Too much vybar can lock up the FO. You may want to try reducing the vybar. Good Luck and remember to document all your testing.

Can't answer you science question but you may want to go back to your formula. From what I remember reading, folks usually add 1 T of Crisco pp of wax. I don't use Crisco so you may want to do a search. You are adding 1/2 tsp of vybar pp of wax. Too much vybar can lock up the FO. You may want to try reducing the vybar. Good Luck and remember to document all your testing.

Thanks, Sharyl. Looks like I'm using way too much Crisco. I wonder where I got my calculation? lol

I was using 1 tsp Vybar 260 for 4 lbs of wax. That gives me four 8 oz and three 16 oz jars per scent pour.

I read another place where they used 1 tsp. per lb of Vybar, so I tried max of 2 tsp. for 4 lbs. I will experiment tomorrow with my sample scents and cut back on the Vybar and Crisco.

Thanks, again!

the surface scent can dissipate over time if the aren't covered, but once you light it; you'll find the scent is still there.

My vanilla from NG was very weak. I did read that some were pleased with other suppliers vanilla over NG. I'll have to check that out.

Time for my soap box now.

Now do you see why people were telling you to slow down and that they thought you started selling candles at retail far far too soon?

The questions you have asked in the past few weeks or so are questions that anyone selling candles should already know before they move to retail.

I had to bite my tongue on your one post and side with "Bug" 100%. I had to get up and walk away the computer it upset me so much. People that don't put out well tested well made products are a liability to the ones that have invested lots of years and money to make home make candles better than store bought ones. People in general DON'T think we can make better products than yankers or the other big candle guys and they don't expect it and are surprised when they find out we can. Any person here that can't make a candle better than yankers don't need to be selling candles they need to be testing to find out what they are doing wrong.

The good news is that this is a good place to get answers and many people are willing to give them freely ( FYI no one did that 30 years ago) but don't take every answer you get as fact. We all have to find what works for us, wax, wick, color, fragrance, we all have ideas about whats best. What you think is a weak vanilla scent will be a super strong one for someone else so testing it everything.

In my best Adam Sandler voice... Sloooooooow Doooown.

Bruce

I'm so glad that I found this board a few months ago when I first got the 'make my own candles' itch. It helped me research waxes, fo's, wicks, techniques, tools...everthing! Much money time and frustrations later I finally have what I consider a really good candle (but only 12 scents successful so far with many more yet to test)! The most valuable lesson I've learned is to accept the fact that I have to spend a lot of money before I make any LOL!

I've made bath 'n body for years and the few products I sell took me a couple of years of R & D before I felt they we're marketable (is that a word?). When my accounts starting asking for candles I came here and am still testing months and months later. My goal is to get my 12 scents out there by late summer and use the time between now and then to test more to be ready for the fall and winter season!

Time for my soap box now.

Now do you see why people were telling you to slow down and that they thought you started selling candles at retail far far too soon?

The questions you have asked in the past few weeks or so are questions that anyone selling candles should already know before they move to retail.

I had to bite my tongue on your one post and side with "Bug" 100%. I had to get up and walk away the computer it upset me so much. People that don't put out well tested well made products are a liability to the ones that have invested lots of years and money to make home make candles better than store bought ones. People in general DON'T think we can make better products than yankers or the other big candle guys and they don't expect it and are surprised when they find out we can. Any person here that can't make a candle better than yankers don't need to be selling candles they need to be testing to find out what they are doing wrong.

The good news is that this is a good place to get answers and many people are willing to give them freely ( FYI no one did that 30 years ago) but don't take every answer you get as fact. We all have to find what works for us, wax, wick, color, fragrance, we all have ideas about whats best. What you think is a weak vanilla scent will be a super strong one for someone else so testing it everything.

In my best Adam Sandler voice... Sloooooooow Doooown.

Bruce

It's too late to slow down. I'm already selling them and people love them. They are burning evenly and smelling great. I just want to perfect what I am doing. Every candle we have burned is burning slow and even.

The fact is that the lady that has been professional for years is in the shop along with my candles and they are not buying hers anymore. They are buying mine. It's not as bad as I've made it sound. I just want to make sure I've asked every question.

My daughter is making all the calls on the scent. She has so much scent all over her store she can't tell what's what - Soap, lotion, wafers, candles.

I did my Creme Brulee and Coconut this weekend and they are very strong. Most of my scents are strong, save the vanilla. I decided since I am selling candles and people like them that I am not going to listen to her anymore. She just needs to stick with her jewelry and let me market my candles.

Thanks for your imput! I appreciate all the advice!

One other thing is that this is my daughter's store. I'm not retailing anywhere else and I really don't plan to. We always make the customer's happy. If we get any complaints, which we haven't yet, we will make good on it. I'm not worried about it.

I just wanted to comment that every time you change your candle formulation you should be test burning it all the way down before you sell it. I personally wouldnt be selling if you are still not happy with the scent throw etc. I know its hard when you get excited about something, but better to get it right before putting it to market. Good luck.

I just wanted to comment that every time you change your candle formulation you should be test burning it all the way down before you sell it. I personally wouldnt be selling if you are still not happy with the scent throw etc. I know its hard when you get excited about something, but better to get it right before putting it to market. Good luck.

She knows that, she just doesn't care. She doesn't think anything bad can happen. She's made that perfectly clear.

Thank you jillgunter. I am not unhappy, per se, with my scent throw. I am just tweaking what I am doing. Another part was listening to my daughter who has to have everything her way when she needed to leave me alone and let me run my own business. I already know what colors and scents that people like. I've looked at and tried all kinds of candles for years. Talked with candle people when I never thought I would ever get involved.

I hope that I am not coming across as arrogant in what I am doing. It is just simply that God opened a door for me, confirmed that I was in His will and when He does that He guides and tells you what to do. You see, He already told me in prayer to heat my wax to 180. I was asking here to have a confirmation and didn't feel to explain why I was doing that.

I cannot fail because He is on my side. He is faithful. That's why I am not afraid. He has always dealt with me in this fashion. I ask Him for everything and about everything. He is more important to me than life.

God Bless,

Thank you jillgunter. I am not unhappy, per se, with my scent throw. I am just tweaking what I am doing. Another part was listening to my daughter who has to have everything her way when she needed to leave me alone and let me run my own business. I already know what colors and scents that people like. I've looked at and tried all kinds of candles for years. Talked with candle people when I never thought I would ever get involved.

I hope that I am not coming across as arrogant in what I am doing. It is just simply that God opened a door for me, confirmed that I was in His will and when He does that He guides and tells you what to do. You see, He already told me in prayer to heat my wax to 180. I was asking here to have a confirmation and didn't feel to explain why I was doing that.

I cannot fail because He is on my side. He is faithful. That's why I am not afraid. He has always dealt with me in this fashion. I ask Him for everything and about everything. He is more important to me than life.

God Bless,

Well since God told you to heat your wax to 180, and you're still having problems, maybe you should ask him what gives?

ForHisGlory, Maybe He is trying to tell you something else.Was that 180 fahrenheit?

No, he was telling her my pulse rate as I read ForHisGlorys threads....

If god told me to go with 180 I don't think I would have to ask a bunch of candle makers on a candle board what they do. If god is that technical with you this board will not be any help to you at all. I know god has all the answers, I just never thought about asking him about what wax to use and scents ect. Wonder if he could end the many long debates on this board about which is better paraffin or soy?? Now that would be a miracle!

No, he was telling her my pulse rate as I read ForHisGlorys threads....

If god told me to go with 180 I don't think I would have to ask a bunch of candle makers on a candle board what they do. If god is that technical with you this board will not be any help to you at all. I know god has all the answers, I just never thought about asking him about what wax to use and scents ect. Wonder if he could end the many long debates on this board about which is better paraffin or soy?? Now that would be a miracle!

Well, Bruce if the paraffin or soy question is ever answered it will truly be a hallelujah moment. :D

It's too late to slow down. I'm already selling them and people love them. They are burning evenly and smelling great. I just want to perfect what I am doing. Every candle we have burned is burning slow and even.

:whistle: :tiptoe: