Who has ever been sued?

LaurieF

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been sued, do not have insurance and been told by insurance people that I really don't need it at this time. If they sued me, they would have fun at getting NOTHING. I seriously have nothing of value to them.

I just saw in the paper where a candle caused a fire in Boston and I thanked God that I don't have any customers there. lol

Problem with being sued is that most likely those people are not in business any more. I am not sure I would want to go on after being sued. I have been involved in long drawn out court case ( My Parents where in a major car accident) it was a night mare. Just going through the proceedings of being sued would discourage most people from wanting to continue making stuff even if it was decided in favor of the defendant.

there is so much more involved than just being sued... and even if you don't have anything... there are still legal fees...

True, but it's kinda hard to get blood out of a turnip, is what I think she's saying! ;) LOL

I guess, they could attach your wages huh? Oooh that would suck big time!

Insurance is exactly that-insuring that if anything happens (ANYTHING) you'll be covered.

Car insurance is basically the same, you pay your premiums and whether you never have an accident you still have to pay it, JUST IN CASE!

Does it suck?

Car insurance

Medical Insurance

Dental Insurance

Life Insurance

Business Insurance

DANG-that's a lot of money right there!

Yes, I'd rather have all that money in my pocket! LOL

Well i may not have a million bucks but I do have a house, cars and such and I'd prefer to keep them. But I sell wholesale and many retailers wil ask about product liability. For me its cheap, 2 mil policy for under $400 year. And before you ask, Ohio Casulty - call an independent rep. They underwrite in 39 states.

Do any of you remember about 5 years ago when Todd had "The Scent Review" board, and someone was being sued. I can't remember who it was or why she was being sued, but she said it was a total nightmare. She also said if you don't think it can happen to you, then you've got your head buried in the sand. I can't remember the specifics, but it was quite an ordeal for her to go through, lawyers fee was huge.

Wow - you guys pay a lot for insurance. Mine was £100 (approx $180) for 5 million cover for one year. I'm in the UK and my insurance covers public liability, product loss, premises and pretty much any nasty thing that could happen if I were sued or my workshop burnt down!

Yes we do. And we don't have NHS here like in UK, so for those who are self employed, health insurance premiums are sky high.

And we in the UK still moan about our NHS - think we should start being grateful!!!!!!!

Luckily we also don't seem to have the same number of sueing cases either - though it's going up sadly!

I just posted about this on the Snowtop board, about a friend of mine.

She was a power seller on e-bay with her candles, and I guess for the story I got, that the buyer left the candle unattended (left the house and forgot the candle was burning), and she got a call on her cell phone that the fire dept. was at her home..etc..

My friend had NO insurance, she never really profited enough to afford it.

So, she is going thru the lawsuit right now, and it wasn't the buyer of the candle that forced it, but her home owners insurance is the one thats actually sueing her.

Even if she can win the case, her attorney fee's are sooo outrageous. And her attorney told her their is still always that 'good' chance,... that she could loose.

He quoted her about the lady that bought the coffee from McDonalds yrs. back, and sat it between her legs and sued McDonalds and won.

He also told her...if the judge was having a bad day, or the lady was a single parent, and just felt sorry for her, or anything...she could loose. Basically telling her...its all up to that man in the black robe, and how he feels.

Leisa

Wow...I've always wondered about some of the sellers on ebay if they carried it, or just thought it was okay to be a crafter.

I just couldn't see a judge going for the creator of the candle unless the candle itself was defective & shot out flames or something. A candle is FIRE, you play with fire, YOU take the chance of burning your house. It'd be no different if I was burning a pile of leaves outside & some ashes blew onto my rooftop. Its a chance I take.

The idea of it all just makes me want to pitch candles all together though. I would just die inside if one of mine took someone's home.

I don't ever recall of any time I was asked about insurance at a craft show. Now I have been asked plenty of times about the correct paperwork or what not related to sales tax.

I just wouldn't ever operate my business with out insurance. Even if it isn't required.

It depends on the type of craft show. The ones held here are called "homemakers craft bazaar" or something to that effect. It is not necessary to have a business or insurance to participate. Neither is sales tax paperwork needed since our state has no sales tax.

I do have insurance and feel it is a necessity if I'm in business. I hate to pay for insurance, but it's just part of life.

It really upsets me that someone would sue another person or business over their irresponsibility. And for another insurance company to pursue this to avoid paying out to their customer is sad. I realize this is the way things work, but I guess I don't have to like it!! I hope none of us get sued! But be wise and get insurance. I have insurance for candle & soapmaking and the cost is reasonable for 1 million coverage. The insurance company I deal with feels my business is a low risk - it's probably the area where I live also.

If you don't have anything now, they can get FUTURE monies. They can force you to have a sheriff's auction, they can garnish wages in the future until all is paid. Unless you can live under society's radar and earn wages under the table, hide all your future assets, I wouldn't do it. You may not have much now, but you are gambling all your future assets and income on being someone else's. I would hate working just to give my stuff to someone else. :(