Rooto Lye

mssheddy

I have been searching high and low for lye locally, finally found some at my local hardwear store, by Rooto Corp. The lable says " Crystals of Household %100Lye Drain Opener". Just wanted to know if anyone else uses this brand? Is it ok? I looked online at the Rooto corp. website for an MSDS on this and can't find it. Just wanted to make sure before I use it.

Thanks for the help

• Like 1

I've been using the Rooto brand of Lye. I get it from my local lumber yard, the local Lowe's doesn't carry lye here. I can't compare it to anything else, since it's all I've used (I've only been making soap since the first of the year); but after 10 - 15 minutes with the stick blender I reach a light trace.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought 10 lbs of this lye from Ace Hardware and I swear every single batch ( 4 so far ) has been wonky. I have tried a couple of different recipes and different fo's. Checked my scales for accuracy, rechecked weights, ran all recipes through soapcalc and I have decided that it's either the lye or the soap gremlins have made a permanent move to my house.

One thing the batches have in common is after I bring it to trace and pour it into the mold it thins out and seems to liquify, takes longer to harden up and then has an oil film on top and once cured the lather is almost non-existant.

It's almost like the oils aren't fully saponified.

Anyone else have any feed back when using this lye? ( it says 100% lye )

• Like 1

I bought 10 lbs of this lye from Ace Hardware and I swear every single batch ( 4 so far ) has been wonky. I have tried a couple of different recipes and different fo's. Checked my scales for accuracy, rechecked weights, ran all recipes through soapcalc and I have decided that it's either the lye or the soap gremlins have made a permanent move to my house.

One thing the batches have in common is after I bring it to trace and pour it into the mold it thins out and seems to liquify, takes longer to harden up and then has an oil film on top and once cured the lather is almost non-existant.

It's almost like the oils aren't fully saponified.

Anyone else have any feed back when using this lye? ( it says 100% lye )

This sounds almost exactly like what happened when I used this lye (except I never had oil film on top)!

I got so frustrated I went on a hunt for the Roebic (thank goodness we had just gotten Lowes here in town and they have it!), otherwise I was going to have to start buying it online.

I think I still have half a bottle of the Rooto in my soaping drawer-I hope I never accidentally grab that instead of my Roebic ;)

I've been using the Rooto brand of Lye. I get it from my local lumber yard, the local Lowe's doesn't carry lye here. I can't compare it to anything else, since it's all I've used (I've only been making soap since the first of the year); but after 10 - 15 minutes with the stick blender I reach a light trace.

I was wondering, did you actually ask one of the workers there? Because when I first went looking for the LYE at my Lowes, I was looking in the section where they had all the other cleaning supplies and they had the drain openers in liquid form. BUT they actually keep the crystal lye in a totally separate area. It's in the pluming area near the copper piping.

I was wondering, did you actually ask one of the workers there? Because when I first went looking for the LYE at my Lowes, I was looking in the section where they had all the other cleaning supplies and they had the drain openers in liquid form. BUT they actually keep the crystal lye in a totally separate area. It's in the pluming area near the copper piping.
Yes, I did ask. The first person I asked told me no, but I figured "what did he know" asked someone else. :D About 4 people told me that they do not carry it. ;)

You might just want to check the plumbing section at Lowe's. I was told at my Lowe's that they didn't carry Lye either. I then went and checked the plumbing section and there it was. I'm not sure many of the workers know what lye is. It's worth it to just take a peak in that section. Mine is up high on a shelf and it's in a yellow plastic container with red and black lettering.

Ann M

When I asked for Lye they looked at me like I had lost my mind!! I found it in the plumbing section also where the drain cleaners are. If they happen to not carry it you can order it online from Lowes and pick it up at the store no shipping charges. At least that is what their website states.

Thanks for the link! Wow, you can even buy it online and pick it up at the store! Wooohoooo!!!

Last time I bought lye I picked some up at the local hardware store. I asked one of the gentleman "Do you carry lye?" and he told me no, they didn't. I walked down the plumbing aisle and....miracle upon miracles....there it was on the shelf!!! LOL I walked right past him on the way out, holding it up like a trophy!! heehee :wink2:

• Like 1