Lotion Question

Janis

This question was inspired by another thread about putting lotions and creams in bottles. I thought I read somewhere that you are supposed to wait until the lotion is cool before you bottle it. Anyone know about this?

I pour my while still warm iand runny into the bottles then I wait till they completly cool to put the top on.

Almost every site I've gone to that sells B&B supplies has suggested this, and it makes sense to me-seems it would be so much easier to pour when warm and a bit runnier. :)

Janis,

You can pour warm as long as you don't cap the container. The heat will create condensation - extra water - that will compromise your preservative system.

I always pour cool. After my lotion batch is ready, I store in baggies, unscented and uncolored (though, I rarely use colorant). I use the smaller and larger ziplock bags so that can choose the appropriate size for the order.

I usually scent the lotion when I need to fill an order.

I make my lotion from scratch and pour when it's warm. I cap the bottles to shake them up a bit and then take them off and let them cool. Never had a problem yet so I'm crossing my fingers lol. If you pour when cooled I like scented's idea with the ziplocks I might hve to try that but any times I've tried pouring when cool the neck of the bottle gets clogged and I have to force it in squeeze the bottle and all that it's just a lot harder. For me anyways.

HTH

HUGS

Do you guys use preservatives in your lotion? If so what do you use?

All my lotion batches have gone bad shortly after making them. I have used rosemary, gse, and vitamin e and none of them kept the batch from getting mold.