25% fragrance load in tarts?

I once had someone tell me that they use 4-5 oz. of fragrance per pound of paraffin wax (to make melts). I swore they must be crazy.

I am making soy wax tarts and started at 9% fragrance load, but didn't get a decent throw. So I went up to 13% on my latest batches and they are stronger, but still not where I'd like them to be. The wax seems to be holding the fragrance in (i.e. no "leeching" out). Does anyone go up to 20% or so?

If it matters, these are fragrances that have been tested in soy by the suppliers and were rated to work well in this medium. And I have heard other chandlers rave about them too. I am dumb-founded!!!

I wouldn't bother with any FO that required a 25% load unless it was a special order, and priced accordingly.

I use 6-9% and get around 24-30 hours out of a .8oz tart. My sense of smell is pretty bad, though, so if I can smell it well then the scent usually makes normal people cry and run away.

Have you tried other testers besides the people in your house?

I only do 1oz pp but on some I have to cut back to 0.5oz pp because it is so strong. I use CBA and KY's all natural pillar/votive blend. I had first started out with Puresoy then switched to CBA because of purchasing some by accident. I mixed the CBA with some KY pv blend just to see how they would turn out and I still get awesome cold/hot throws.

Stephanie

Hi, I have some that I made in November that I never got to test until the other day, and it was sooo strong! I had to turn it off. I had been using the KY para-soy tart/votive blend wax for those. And the one I was testing was Baby Powder fo from Peak.

I only used 1oz per pound of wax. And it was very strong.

I would not use that much because it is not cost effective. How long are you letting them cure? Maybe try stretching it another week or so, maybe that should help.

Meredith

Edit: Also some scents throw better than others. I have trays that I made the same day, same amount of fragrance and still some throw weak, strong, and too strong. Just depends on the fragrance and the supplier actually.

That's crazy! If you can't get a good throw with 5-10% then why bother even using that FO.

Candle Newbee, if you are up to 13% of a FO and don't like them then try a different FO, or a different supplier. Some scents just don't work well with some waxes.

i'd like to know what soy wax will hold 25% of fragrance? 415 pure soy will only hold 1.5ozs pp. i know of one soy that will hold 2ozs pp but i have not seen any higher. i use 1.5ozs pp in my candles & tarts and get a super strong throw.

I've been making tarts with the soy and 1343. 1.25 ounce of fragrance oil per pound of wax. The scent throw is not only great hot, but also cold. It's almost too strong and I think I could have put in 1 ounce...was giving me an headache with 3 tart burners going.

I think I have a decent sense of smell. FO's used was Snickerdoodle, and Baby Powder (single, not mixed). Room I'm burning in is a little over 500 sq ft. with 20 ft high ceilings.

I'm really happy with the tarts and feel they throw much better than one of the big guys and pops out easily. In fact, I've been able to re-burn them days later, and still very fragrant.

Not only that, but I allowed no cure time whatsoever. As soon as the tarts were cool, took them out of mold, and burned.

Beats me. But I'm very satisfied.

I wish I could get away with 1.5 ounces per pound! I am admittedly new to tarts and started test batches at 20 ounces of WSP's EcoSoya PB and 2 oz. of FO (WSPs Lemon Pound Cake). Cured for 2 days but didn't get a good throw. Very very faint.

My last few batches I up'd it to 3 oz. of FO to 20 oz. of wax and the throw is stronger, but still not quite where I'd like it to be. Granted, I haven;t redone that batch of Lemon Pound Cake at 3 oz. as I have been busy testing other oils. I ran my last batches at 4 oz. fo to 20 oz. wax and they did not leech oil overnight. I am not sure how long they usually sit before tarts start to leech oil. Is that a fairly quick process? I don't know how long to wait before I determine that these are not likely to weep fragrance.

I agree that this seems excessive but I am experimenting to see what the trouble could be. These are reputed to be soy-friendly fo's and I have heard good thiings about tarts in this particular wax.

What kind of warmers are you and your testers using? I've never used your wax, so I'm not familiar with how it does in tarts. I've only tried a couple of Lemon Pound Cake FO's and they didn't throw as well as some FO's do. I find that some floral FO's I've tried (not all), are stronger than some food/bakery FO's. Testing is the only way I can determine if it works in my wax and FO load. How much does the person who uses 25% FO charge for their tarts? Much, I would think, in order to make much profit. Have you tried one of their tarts to see what you think? Do they get lots of repeat customers?

i don't use your wax but i have used Ky 's 125 soywax with cottonseed and added a tsp of steric to it and it makes the fragrance hold it's self also i've noticed this don't know if anybody else has it's according to the tartburner your using cermic burners scent throw of a tart is not as strong as in a tin tartburner or a tartburner that has a lid on it have no ideal why but i've done this and found this out i have like a cermic and a paul rever tin one and my tester has like the open tin and a cermic with a closed lid and you can tell the difference sounds silly but i've seen it for myself the closed tin ones and cermic ones hold your tart throw 10 times better and seem to be louder compared to open cermics and tin burners.

just thought i throw that in to see if that might help as well .

My last few batches I up'd it to 3 oz. of FO to 20 oz. of wax and the throw is stronger, but still not quite where I'd like it to be. Granted, I haven;t redone that batch of Lemon Pound Cake at 3 oz. as I have been busy testing other oils. I ran my last batches at 4 oz. fo to 20 oz. wax and they did not leech oil overnight. I am not sure how long they usually sit before tarts start to leech oil. Is that a fairly quick process? I don't know how long to wait before I determine that these are not likely to weep fragrance.

Holy crapola!!!!!!! Why even bother with any wax at all if you use that much fo..just burn the oil!!!!! *faint* Sheesh! I know you said you are experimenting, but what a waste, and also possible fire hazard! Try a different oil, and have someone else test a tart for you to see what someone else thinks..maybe its just your nose!

I can appreciate your concern. Please know that I'm not sellinbg in any way. Just experimenting. I have 6 or 7 peopletesting and they couldn't get a good throw off Lemon Pound Cake at 2 oz. fo vs. 20 oz. wax. It's not just my nose but I have yet to retest that fo at a higher rate (it's at 9% at 2 oz. per 20).

Thank you for the Peaks suggestion. I think I will give them a try. I have burned the other ladies' tarts and they are incredibly strong and last 2-3 days. I just burned one I up'd to 3 oz. fo vs 20 wax (not the Lemon Pound Cake) and it was crazy strong, so it may just be this fo.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!

Ok, if you want an awesome Lemon pound cake, get the one from BCS....that one is to die for! Now I have never used your wax but after reading this thread again I am wondering what type of burner/melter are you using these tarts in? It could be it isn't getting hot enough to get the true scent out...also, in some fragrances using more oil isn't always better...if you use to much oil you can lose the scent and not get that strong scent you are after...but I would definitely try different oils from somewhere else and if you still aren't happy, ditch the wax and try a different one. You really should NEVER need to use more than 1-1.5 oz pp..even for tarts! I can stick a jelly jar candle that has only an inch of wax (if that) left in it on to my warmer and it will smell up my whole first floor...I only use 1-1.2 oz pp in my soy candles and use 100% soywax and all my fragrances come from highly rated suppliers that are mentioned quite often on these boards...good luck!