Selling Tarts?

kforbs126

I was curious to see who sells tarts and if you sell a lot of them. i was thinking about starting with them. They are so cute and to me it would seem that would be a good gift and are realitively cheap.

Also what's the normal(avg):grin2: amount you get out of a pound of wax?

I have been selling tarts for about 3 years now. You can get about 15 tarts per lb of wax. That is 1 oz tarts.

There are a lot of tart makers out there but its a great hobby and you can do well with it.

Missy

www.missystemptingtarts.com

Nice product but extremely under priced at 60 cents for a one ounce tart. (IMO) Thats below my wholesale and I just shipped out over 2500 to one account on their first order. What would you do about wholesale pricing if thats your retail?

Nice product but extremely under priced at 60 cents for a one ounce tart. (IMO) Thats below my wholesale and I just shipped out over 2500 to one account on their first order. What would you do about wholesale pricing if thats your retail?

I sell mine for 75 cents each, but the going rate for others around here are $1.19 each. And mine are 1 oz melts.

Mindy

Your site says different quote below:

Our Full Sized Tarts are 1 oz. each.

Our Price: USD $0.60

That's not my site, that's Missi9245's site, lol. I was just wondering if mine were cheap to, that's why I quoted what you said.

People around where I live, snatch my melts up and was just wondering if I was selling myself short.

Mindy:)

That's not my site, that's Missi9245's site, lol. I was just wondering if mine were cheap to, that's why I quoted what you said.

People around where I live, snatch my melts up and was just wondering if I was selling myself short.

Mindy:)

OOPS :tiptoe:

Well your too cheap too LOL One of my accounts sells the one ounce melts for 1.99. I think thats way too high but they keep selling them.

Bruce

Price really should be based on the quality of your tarts, i.e. the amount and cost of the FO you use, the quality of FO you use, do they throw scent well and last longer than most others on the market, how well you package them, the labor involved in making, packaging, and selling them. Your time is

valuable. It is time you could be working another job getting a guaranteed paycheck. If you do all of the above, you will spend time testing them out before you put them in your line, many times changing the amt of FO, making sure they throw well and last long, usually spending lots of money trying to find the best scents that will sell, that customers will come back for again and again. It's not as easy as some beginners think to make quality tarts, not if you want to compete with the best. If you want to compete with the best, then it will cost you more to make them. You have to be consistent with your ratios once you put them in your line. Then if you can sell a 1 oz tart for $1 and more, and customers buy yours instead of someone else's that are much cheaper, then you will know yours are the best.

You will also have to put your licensed business name on them, and be sure not to label them as "tarts".

How do you all package your tarts? I have been shrinkwrapping individually. But, I think this is taking so much time that the profit margin is really low,especially for wholesale accounts. I wholesale for $ .75 each, retail for $1.25 or 5 for $5.

I bought some of the clamshells, but haven't tried to sell these yet. Do you have better luck wholesaling these?

Thanks for any words of advice.

How do you all package your tarts? I have been shrinkwrapping individually. But, I think this is taking so much time that the profit margin is really low,especially for wholesale accounts. I wholesale for $ .75 each, retail for $1.25 or 5 for $5.

I bought some of the clamshells, but haven't tried to sell these yet. Do you have better luck wholesaling these?

Thanks for any words of advice.

I used to make the individual melts and shrink wrap each one, it was a PITA then I switched to clamshells and haven't looked back. I occasionally make up some of the single melts to give away as samples when I am out and about and looking for business though ;) That's not on a wholesale level though, so I can't speak for that yet.

I used to make the individual melts and shrink wrap each one, it was a PITA then I switched to clamshells and haven't looked back. I occasionally make up some of the single melts to give away as samples when I am out and about and looking for business though ;) That's not on a wholesale level though, so I can't speak for that yet.

And I started with clamshells and switched to individual melts and they have sold tons better for me. lol

The dust from outside shows seems to be attracted to the clamshells more and they look and feel like crap after a few shows.

Bruce

And I started with clamshells and switched to individual melts and they have sold tons better for me. lol

The dust from outside shows seems to be attracted to the clamshells more and they look and feel like crap after a few shows.

Bruce

Ah I havent done any shows yet and havent had to move them, so that might be why I'm partial up to this point. I could see where that might become a problem though.

Anything that isn't trademarked. That doesn't help does it? Some call them melts or scented potpourri or scented wax melts ... etc. etc. etc.

Yep, that's a habit I had to break myself of, I was forever still calling them tarts, but I've made a point to call them melts for so long now it's become second nature. Friends and customers will still call them tarts of course lol

I shrink wrap mine individually because I think they look more professional that way, but there is so much more labor and time involved packaging them this way, that I would never consider wholesaling them. My time and energy is too valuable to me to not make any profit for it. I don't make enough as it is, considering the labor and time that's involved. The only way I would consider a "middle man" is if I was doing the clamshells, which I haven't done yet. The ones I've seen with candle suppliers hold approximately 2 to 2.5 oz.

Does anyone know if 1 oz clamshells are available anywhere? I wonder if first time customers don't prefer buying a 1 oz size. That way if they like another scent better, they haven't had to pay more (since you would have to charge more for the 2.5 oz clamshells). It would be beneficial to repeat customers though if they saved money on the 2 oz size. With less labor involved, you would be able to charge less per oz. I have considered doing it both ways, to make 1st time customers and repeat customers happy.

Well after testing like crazy for the past 5 days, i'm about to sell some.

My prices are resonsible cause i can't see charging anymore right now since i'm a start up:

1 oz tart - .50 each

2.5 oz tart 1.00 each

sampler tarts(they are like .7 oz) 4 for 1.00

i still make a pretty good profit and i don't count in labor cause well it's a hobby for me and really enjoy it. my stress relief if i must call it that. i get more excited to make a candle then to go to my regular job.

Kforbs126,

May I take the liberty to give you some advice? Please don't let your newly acquired excitement cause you to undercharge. If your product is good, your just starting should have nothing to do with your price. Once you set a price, it's very difficult to increase it. When you do, you will only be able to increase a little at a time, then only because cost of supplies and shipping increases, or you will lose customers. Some customers won't even be interested in the increase in your expenses or try to understand if they've never had a business before. I'm assuming you are using 1 oz FO per lb. to be able to sell as cheap as you plan to and making nothing much at all for your time and labor. If in the future, you decide you want to make a living at this, you will not be able to at this price. The new excitement will wear off evenually when you realize you are not making enough money to cover your expenses and what your time and labor is worth. When I started selling, I briefly thought as you are thinking, that I needed to charge less because I wanted to get customers, but I knew I would not be able to continue at a low price and that customers would get upset or not buy anymore when I had to go up on the price to make it worthwhile or to make a living at.

Have you thought about all the expenses involved..business license, sales tax license, if you are selling to the public is required, even for tarts because you need your business name on the tarts, yearly income taxes, etc. Also, your location expenses, even if you sell only at a craft shows or flea market. Even if you are only selling around town, you will have gas expenses unless customers come to you, which is not likely. There are so many expenses involved that you might not think about when starting out. Think it through carefully, then set your price. Please don't think I trying to tell you what to do, just think it through carefully before you set your prices in stone. I think your prices are too low for a good quality tart unless you are able to buy your supplies in bulk and don't have to pay shipping, and want to work for almost nothing just as a hobby.

Well i could go up to:

1 oz tart - .65 each

2 oz tart 1.00 each

sampler tarts(they are like .7 oz) 3 for 1.00

i can't honestly see anyone paying more than that when you can go to a store and buy them for the same or less. granted they might not be the best quality(the store) but most people in my blue collared area probably could care less. i'll see how it does at the prices i just listed and see what i can sell.

When i was doing paraffin i sold my 16oz containers for 8.00 and still made $4.00 a container. sorry i'm not factoring in time cause that's just crazy to me cause it's not my full time job. i don't need to make a living off of these but extra money isn't a bad thing.

i do use 1 oz to maybe 1.25 oz per pound depending on the fo. the fo i buy is from thecandlesource and they are great. i buy in the 8oz so it is a lot cheaper.

i've figured in that i would profit $6.27 selling 18 tarts at .50 each. i get about 14 to 16 a pound of wax.

I also do not factor in gas, labor, etc, just the cost of the wax, fo's, color, bags, twisties, etc....

Well i could go up to:

1 oz tart - .65 each

2 oz tart 1.00 each

sampler tarts(they are like .7 oz) 3 for 1.00

i can't honestly see anyone paying more than that when you can go to a store and buy them for the same or less. WHERE? granted they might not be the best quality(the store) but most people in my blue collared area probably could care less. i'll see how it does at the prices i just listed and see what i can sell.

When i was doing paraffin i sold my 16oz containers for 8.00 and still made $4.00 a container. sorry i'm not factoring in time cause that's just crazy to me cause it's not my full time job. i don't need to make a living off of these but extra money isn't a bad thing.

i do use 1 oz to maybe 1.25 oz per pound depending on the fo. the fo i buy is from thecandlesource and they are great. i buy in the 8oz so it is a lot cheaper.

i've figured in that i would profit $6.27 selling 18 tarts at .50 each. i get about 14 to 16 a pound of wax.

I also do not factor in gas, labor, etc, just the cost of the wax, fo's, color, bags, twisties, etc....

You say you get a profit of 6.27 on 18 tarts @ 50 cent retail

lets break that down.

18 tarts X .50 = 9.00 retail and your profit is 6.27 so you are saying your cost is $2.73 per 18 which is just a fraction over .15 cents for your one ounce melt. Right???

That still sounds way cheap to me for wax, scent and package. My one ounce melts dont have a bag or anything fancy and still cost me .33 cents each to make and im sure I buy stuff in much larger quantities than you do.

Your selling yourself short and making your product look cheap by having that low of a price... ever think of it that way? Yankees are 1.79 for 20% less than an ounce and the other are not far behind that so where do you find them for 50 cents or less?

Bruce