Guideline to good customer service

KristinesShower

It's my belief that she started THIS thread to get pointers/tips and ideas on how to IMPROVE her customer service. I think that it's commendable (sp) and can find no fault in that.

Its along the same lines of asking for advertising tips if you tried one way and it didn't work out. It's all just looking for help, which is what this forum is supposed to be about.

Hogwash. No one knows why she started this thread so soon after the last debacle. Still shaking my head on this one. It is not along the sames lines as asking for advertising tips. Different ball game.

I myself have never had a problem with a supplier. I do not think she was asking about suppliers. I am almost convinced she is clueless.

I can’t remember the last time I called walmart and said “Hey this set of dishes is shattered” and they just said “We will credit your card right away, no need to bring it back, just throw it out.” Or for that matter going to return anything and the sales girl reimbursing my mileage and gas for my trip.

What a ridiculous comparison

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now now children..Simmer down so we can have a world's record of a post lasting more than 5 hours on a heated discussion. LMFAOOOOOOO

We are almost there. 4 hours in the making. I wonder where she is and why she isn't back on here to post with " Thank you for your help".. Geesh..

Now now now children..Simmer down so we can have a world's record of a post lasting more than 5 hours on a heated discussion. LMFAOOOOOOO

We are almost there. 4 hours in the making. I wonder where she is and why she isn't back on here to post with " Thank you for your help".. Geesh..

I was wondering the same thing DC. Reminds me of a thread IKS started last week about one of her customers, only to go MIA when that customer came here and told her side.

Having ordered a lot of stuff in the past 3 months, I have to give a :bow: to a few who have helped & made the newness of it all less overwhelming by what I think was (is) good cs

The Gourmet Rose: Heather ships my M&P at the speed of light (and flat rates!) extremely knowledgable about every product she sells (can't say that for some I've talked to)...personable & quickly answers my inquiries with detailed emails until I'M satisfied & never comes across like I'm a PITA

Lotioncrafter: Jen quickly & friendly responds to every dumb question I have about that darn CME, even if I've already asked 100 x's

Soaper Supplies

WSP & NG

MMS: Quick responses & updates on the site so you always know what's going on

OT: Gotta love Suz & her dedication to cs when it comes to "her" oils

The Pouch Depot: Had a CSR spend over 30 mins on the phone with me while I measured items so I could be sure to get the correct size organza bag, just so I wouldn't have to ship them back

Lonestar gets a bow for quick shipping, but a :whistle: :waiting: for email responses (a cs no-no in my book)

I've ordered from others, but this is a "good cs" thread :D

Basically for me, good cs means prompt, FAIR shipping & good communication, willingness to "make it right" no matter what, timely response to inquires & knowledge of the products they/the company sell(s) (i.e. NOT having to wait 7 dys for the 1 person who knows everything to return from vacation! geez)

Sharon

Damn, by the time I stirred the stew, folded & reloaded clothes, er...relieved myself, & came back to finish my post... all this! I better learn to keep up...fast!

Fast shipping is important to almost everyone. However, I think communication also rates up there at the top. Specifically, if there is going to be a delay of any sort or for any reason, keep the buyer informed!! I have wasted a good bit of $$ these past few weeks ordering things that are NOT here yet, but MAY be delivered in the next couple of days. BFD They are seasonal items that I will now just have to pack away and hope they are still usable next year. Plus, I now have to do last minute shopping because I will have no time to make the stuff. These items were ordered Dec 5-7 from 3 different places.

I have utmost respect for several suppliers. Two come to mind during this hectic season:

Linda at Stone Stew South. What a doll! There was a slight delay in my coffee order. She emailed me and let me know that she was shipping what she could right away and explained exactly what the delay was. Not only does she have superior products, she is conscientous of the buyers' needs and time frames. The rest of the order came quickly.

Bill and Cindy at Bayousome. I've emailed questions on weekend nights not expecting an answer until Monday. Every time, I have gotten an answer right away, no matter how stupid my ?? were. Lightening fast shipping as well.

As stated before in this thread, just think how you would want to be treated and go from there. That good old Golden Rule works in every situation in life.

This is the a perfect example of the frustrations with developing and maintaining a learning environment.

If Jenny's intent is as simple as asking how to improve on her CS, learn from a mistake (and to open discussion about it), then I hope that people who come here to share and advise are able to sift through this thread and walk away informed. I know I found some good tips in here.

And if Jenny's intent was to come here and get attention from her easily baited adversaries/ruffle a few feathers... looks like she succeeded in that as well.

It can't hurt to give someone the benefit of the doubt and actually try to help them OR skip over a thread that is going to tempt you into responding in a manner that will quickly spiral into another deleted thread.

For those here that take the time to type up a helpful response it is a real disservice to destroy their efforts by by making a mockery of the thread and getting it pulled.

I really have to question here why Jenny came here and brought this up again. I avoided the last thread but this is a pot stirrer for sure. Good customer service to me means quick response and proper resolution quick and fair. 14 dollars is 14 dollars plus shipping is what I would have offered the customer plus I would absolutely have sent freebies and a note and a coupon off the next order. Sometimes it costs to make it right, but you get mileage out of it in the long run.

I visited a wholesale account today that need 2 16 oz apoths for a special order, she has ordered about 3500 dollars worth of product from me in the last 2 months. She tried to give me an extra 10 bucks for doing it, I laughed and told her she had to be kidding after all she had done for me. The extra mile goes a long way.

Robin, while I hail your ideals, let's have a reality check here, shall we? I'd have to wait til I'm dead and in heaven to have perpetually "problem free" and "flawless" sales transactions. Maybe we should start beaming products to customers? The only way in this life to get what you describe would be NEVER TO ORDER ANYTHING. Laughing with you hun, not at you.

Well, I'm taking about my view of vendors I purchase from :). What I've received as customer service.

And to tell you the truth? In 4 years I can't remember a vendor I *have* had a problem with. Or a coop, actually. I get what I order when I expect it. Even the disaster vendors that everyone tells you to walk away from? I've bought from a few of those as well and haven't a problem.

Lucky I guess. But I believe you have a great effect on your own reality. I expect items to be in stock and don't have any unrealistic expectations on control over shipping that's in the hands of USPS/UPS/whomever. Customer service starts when an order is received - it's everyones job from the order taker to the picker in the warehouse/packager. Just clarifying that I'm talking about the steps before a problem occurs. :) I wasn't talking like I've never screwed up an order, far from it lol..

I take that back. One vendor missed an item on an order - I emailed the problem and she shipped it out immediately. Good CS, but it would have been better CS if the order had been correct.

I think it is just as others have stated it is alot of common sense and looking at the long haul and not the short immediate option. Building customer loyalty and great customer service means standing behind your product, your comminttments, and just plain doing the right thing. It means if you quote a customer or client or garage sale person for that matter a price you honor it even if you loose, if they have a problem you solve it and don't give a bunch of excuses or make the customer do the work, we have to do it for them. It's like going out to dinner when you spend your hard earned $$ you want someone to wait on you and serve you, it makes you feel important and you want to tip them, thats how our business is as well, many of our products are not necessity products but products that should make a customer feel good about themselves. I have seen some of my best and most loyal customers come from mistakes and how I have handled them, I try to go over and above but others just don't, those kinda people don't ever get my business again either on thier site, thru recommendations or even buying garage sale items.

Janis Rogers

jansbathscents

Just because you've been in business for years doesn't mean you know everything about good CS

I was just thinking about this sentence and you know if you are a mother for years and years and years and you suddenly have a problem with one of your children - does it make you a bad mother?? Most mothers get help to try to see what is wrong.

I have terrible cs skills, I am the first to admit it and I need help. Does that make me a bad business person? I don't think so at all!

I have terrible cs skills, I am the first to admit it and I need help. Does that make me a bad business person? I don't think so at all!

Asking for help doesn't make anyone a bad person, and I think that it is a learning process and it doesn't come overnight. I work for a very large organization and customer service is key and it can be a learned skill. We have a very intense training program that everyone goes through at every level and then we have ways to measure that. Since it is one of your goals for 2007 maybe you could come up with some type of customer feedback program that would go directly to you so it doesn't have to be a public thing and it could address a number of points (it is also a good way to keep track of what your key employees are doing or not doing) and give them some sort of incentive for filling it out, a discount on their order an extra complimentary product etc. etc and do this for a pre-determined time. You will have to make a concerted effort to really take the points as feedback and not get personal, it can't ever get personal, and learn from it. If you have someone good at this kinda thing ask them for help. When we have a customer complaint that is potentially serious at work we brainstorm it between the mgrs. because we want / need to keep the customer. Also, not to pick on you but you stated that you had people to deal with the customer, but it truly has to come from the leader, the leader HAS to exemplify the companies standards and expectations they truly do so this is your responsibility first and foremost. Hope it helps some.

Janis R

I was just thinking about this sentence and you know if you are a mother for years and years and years and you suddenly have a problem with one of your children - does it make you a bad mother?? Most mothers get help to try to see what is wrong.

OK here we go. Sticking with your analogy, does it make you a bad mother, you ask. Answer: No it does not but it doesn't follow that therefore you are a good mother, either. Indeed, up to that point, you have been a lucky mother whose luck just ran out.

So back to the thread and advice on improving your CS. Speaking strictly as a customer, your analogy hits the target - good v. bad. Either you know which is which, or you don't. Assuming your customer is a liar = bad. Offering an immediate refund = good, especially if we're talking a lousy $14. Like others have said, treat your customers like you would want to be treated assuming you do not like being treated badly. Think about it and please, keep your spit to yourself.

Please, can we not talk about the other post? I am speaking generally here and not talking about the last post that got out of hand.

Opinion on this instance (one of the problems I am having right now) -

USPS took the package last week and it still has not arrived to the destination. Customer has emailed asking why the package is not there.

What would you do in this instance? This is technically not my fault, but I have to admit guilt - yes?

The shipping always gets me and I never know what to do.

Please, can we not talk about the other post? I am speaking generally here and not talking about the last post that got out of hand.

USPS took the package last week and it still has not arrived to the destination. Customer has emailed asking why the package is not there.

What would you do in this instance? This is technically not my fault, but I have to admit guilt - yes?

Did you get tracking for this package or insurance? If you did not, then that is mistake # 1. Then you need to take blame and redo it, if this is the case. If you have proof you sent it with a tracking # then you need to talk to USPS about this situation.

1. Always, if using USPS, pay the extra 50 cents for delivery confirmation.

2. Did you promise delivery by xmas? If no and you know you sent it, not guilty, IMO. It's xmas time, it could be in China right now. They will get it.

3. Clear policies on insuring shipping. Customer doesn't want to pay the extra, then it needs to be clear from the get go that they assume the risk. Sorry for bringing up the other thread, but this would probably have saved you from a lot of grief.

4. Consider consequences and chose the one you can live with.

JMO.

1. Always, if using USPS, pay the extra 50 cents for delivery confirmation.

It is free online and I always include the signature confirmation too (which is not free)

2. Did you promise delivery by xmas?

The customer was aware that they may not receive by Xmas. Customer asked if I could send package out that day which I did.

3. Clear policies on insuring shipping.

I think I may start doing this all the time with every package. Would it be out of line to ask the customer to absorb the cost of insurance with USPS? I know they offer it with UPS up to $100.00

4. Consider consequences and chose the one you can live with.

If I sent the boxes out again, they still wouldn't get there in time - so what would be a good resolution for this matter?

It's not a matter of admitting guilt. It's a matter of accepting responsibility. Your customer paid you. Now it's up to you to deliver what she paid for. As has been said so many times, it's your responsibility to purchase insurance/delivery confirmation. You. The seller. Until it's in the hands of your customer, it's your baby. That's the law.

you could e-mail her a gift certificate or mail her recipient a gift certificate to use on-line I guess would be the only resolution that would get there before Christmas. I would like a gift certificate to an on-line store and would never know that the originator has intended on giving me another gift. Just a thought.

Janis

I usually steer clear when threads get out of hand....but I have to step in. I read Jenny's previous thread, and this isn't it! So this thread should be addressed. But since the last one keeps being brought up, here goes....her entire first post on the other thread was taken completely out of context. She questioned her CS skills, recognized a problem with her CS, and asked for help. She was not bragging that she got more sales off of the woman's unhappiness, but rather responded sort of in suprise that the customer's attacks would bring her more business. I'm sure anyone of us would be suprised if that happened to us.

Whether she is sincere or not is not the issue...she started this thread asking for good examples of CS so she can learn. Take it at face value and help out or stay out! I know plenty of businesses that have bad customer service. So she started a business and has been in for awhile, doesn't mean that she should know what good CS is. In my work I get shopped 1-2 a month by secret shoppers. My last 2 have been 100%, but not all of them in my store have been. We all have our bad days or our challenging customers and admit that we maybe didn't handle it the best way. I've been doing retail for years and still learn each week with different customers.

Let me put a different twist on this. How many of you go to Church? How many of you have gone to Church long enough to know how to act and how to treat people and what is acceptable and not acceptable in God's sight? And how many of you that answered yes to that practice it daily? How many have shown grace to Jenny, been merciful, and treated her the way that you should?

Just because we know something, or should know something, such as Good Customer Service, or how to treat another individual, does not mean that we know how to put it into practice, or maybe we just choose not to.

Chris