Room spray with Witch Hazel and distilled water

momof4kids

I know very little about this stuff so far but I was thinking the same... wow that is a lot of fragrance oil. From what I gather, this makes an extremely small batch right? Or one big bottle of spray... one whole oz of Fo to one bottle? Am I reading that right? (wow)

As the name implies - I mostly lurk here. I spend HOURS here reading & re-reading threads. Thank you all for your recipes, insights, encouragement & humor... whew...ok.

I make a modified version of a Body Spray recipe I initially found on www.recipes.herbalsoapsbyrj.com

The basic recipe is

1 cup Aloe Vera Juice

1 cup Witch Hazel

2 ounces Poly20

1 ounce FO or 1/2 ounce EO or EO Blend

1/4 tsp Vitamin E

1/4 Liquid Silk Protein

In and of itself, this is a SUPER body spray that I've found makes a nice spritz for my linens when I'm so inclined. Have had no problems with staining <yet> and it's a really nice flight spray. I opt in & out of different ingredients depending on my stock.

• 8 years later...

I have a hard time  trying figure how much preservative to add when making a small batch, can anyone tell me how much preservative to add to  8oz. body spray

Yes, as TT said, each preservative is different and not every preservative is right for every application. 

You can go to places like Lotion Crafter's for example (or places like that)  and look up the perservative you have, see if it's right for your application and they should have usage rates. Or even wherever you bought yours should give you info and usage rates - plus I think (but am not sure) that information is on the MSDS paperwork. 

• Like 1

The easiest thing, IMO, is to work in grams.

8 oz is about 227 grams.

1% of 227 is 2.27 grams.

To work in small measurements i highly recommend getting a small, inexpensive gram scale that measures to the .1 (or better .01g). Ebay has loads for $10 or less.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Sometimes you just have to work with a larger amount to get the right %. There's not as much wiggle room with something you put on the skin as there is with a candle.

is it called a gram scale?

I search "pocket gram scale" when i need a new one. Being kind of a messy measurer, i need a couple a year :D

Ebay turned up several for under $10 with free shipping. The weight limits of these teensy scales are anywhere from 100-300 grams. I make sure to get one that is at least accurate to .1 grams.

As others have mentioned above, bigger batches give bigger margins for error. Sometimes that is a very good thing when starting out.

Good luck!!

I know I sound like a dummy, but when a body recipe says .5 , will that scale measure that small of an amount. thanks for all your wonderful advice.

.5 grams? 5 tenths or half a gram?

If you choose a scale with accuracy to what they label tenths or .1 , then yes, that type of pocket gram scale will measure tenths of a gram. (.1, .2, .3, .4, .5, .6.... 1.1, 1.2.....)

I chose one that measures to hundredths, or .01 grams. In that room spray product you should not need .01 accuracy, but as you expand your horizons, eventually some chemicals may. For wax melts, room spray and other non-body products .1 gram accuracy should be plenty for now with big enough batches. The smaller the batch, the more tiny differences will cause differences in your product.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Look at the recipe you are using and see how the other ingredients are measured, Does it say 4 oz of (something) or does it say 120 grams of (something)? Most recipes are measured the same way throughout.

You should get familiar with CAPACITY measurements, and WEIGHT measurements.

CAPACITY is measured in fluid oz (ml, etc), so whether you are measuring out water or milkshake, 8 fl oz is always 8 fl oz.

WEIGHT is measured in nt wt oz (grams, etc), and the amount of fill (capacity) will vary depending on the type of ingredients used.

When making body products, always use weight, grams especially (you can use a google calculator to convert). Volumetric measures introduce a margin for error that is far too wide for many tiny measurements like for preservatives.

The craziest recipe/formula i ever read was recently on facebook. It mixed imperial weights, metric weights and volume in ONE list of ingredients. How anyone was able to use that is beyond me.

• Like 1

I know you have to be a genius almost to do some of the recipes, how im I supposed to know the ph level in the recipe? im not a scientist.lol

The recipe im looking at calls for .5ml of optiphen nd, I have a scale I use for my candles, but I dont think it measures mil. yikes