Smelly Jelly Jars

spagirl

I am still using a water crystal smelly that I made 3 yrs ago. It was made with distilled water, FO and food coloring dye. I replenish with distilled water. No mold. I keep adding distilled water as it evaporates. Basically I have doing this as a test to see how long it will last before there is a mold problem. All the instructions I found said to use distilled water. My usage instructions say to replenish with distilled water. A gallon is only a buck. Cheap invest to avoid mold. BTW it still smells great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...
On 12/17/2006 at 9:33 PM, sassy-girl said:

OK, I will try to say this in small words. Distilled water is from water that has been boiled, the droplets that accumulate form the "distilled water" There are bacteria and mold spores everywhere, and they attach themselves to everything. City water has chorine and floride added to them, the chorine kills bacteria that it comes in contact with. It doesn't matter how you make an item, it's how the item is used. Now, if you live in an area where the water is undrinkable, of course,use bottled water, but it willnot prevent the item from molding, unless you add something to kill the spores

Actually, “Distilled water is water that has been boiled into vapor and condensed back into liquid in a separate container. Impurities in the original water that do not boil below or near the boiling point of water remain in the original container. Thus, distilled water is one type of purified water.”. It is nor just the environment the jelly is going to be under in. That is incorrect.  It can be BOTH or 1 or the other environments. If there is some sort of impurities/bacteria/spores etc in the environment when it’s made and becomes trapped in the container...MOLD! If when the customer opens said container and it is exposed to the environment then there is a possibility of said contaminants also getting into that way. Just as an FYI...if you are talking mold and mold spores, they are not destroyed by heating the water in the microwave or a few drops of alcohol. Spore are meant to lie dormant in an uninhabitable place UNTIL conditions change and make it favorable for its growth. They are not easily destroyed. It could simply be a mildew and yet mold. If left on the surface of the object for a long period of time mildew will develop into mold spores. Mold I’d typically found buried underneath parts of the said product- it’s not a surface or side dweller. It likes dark damp decay. 

before anyone jumps down my throat for all of this, yes, I do know what I am talking about. I’m a clinical laboratory scientist by trade & a DIY’er by hobby. Mold is possibly one of the worst things that can be accidentally “unleashed” in the micro lab. Everything goes into lockdown lol. It’s no joke. To get rid of household mold you see on wall as stuff you need use either white vinegar or at least a 10% bleach solution. Isopropyl alcohol will not kill mold spores.