Smelly Jelly Jars

spagirl

I'm new to all types of candles but I have been seeing something called smelly jelly jars. It looks like mixed up jello with color and fo.

The lids have slits in them, they don't have a wick. I guess you just set them around. Is anyone familiar with these. If so where can I get instructions?

Actually I believe what you are talking about is solid. If this is the case there is a recipe to make this using knox gelatin. I don't have access to it here at work but if you would like to have it let me know and I'll get it for you after I get home. It's very simple and has if I remember only 3 ingredients. Gelatin, water & potpourri fragrance oil but I just use my fo's they smell stronger. HTH

Here you go sorry it took so long to reply I've just been sooooooo busy. :)

AIR FRESHENER GEL

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 Cups Distilled Water

* 4 Pks. Un-Flavored Gelatin

* 50 Drops Essential Oil (fragrance)

* Food Coloring..as desired

INSTRUCTIONS:

Heat One cup water...add gelatin, stir to dissolve. Remove from heat, add remaining water and food coloring. Divide drops of fragraces evenly into jars(I just add it to the mixture)....add gelatin. Put lid or cork on jars and place in fridge for approx. 2 hours. Store covered at room temp. Recipe makes 4 gel jars approx. 4 oz. each. Scent last for months before gel evaporates.

• Like 1

What is the diiference between the above posted recipe and the smelley jelly

beads???

I have done aroma beads, and except for ornies, I was unimpressed (I may have a huge tart/candle nose though! LOL)

What I am asking: is the above recipe comparable to the actual smelly jellies?

TIA!:D

I was just wondering if ayone adds a preservative to this? I made these before with water beads and they got mold in them.

Please let me know if I have to do this with the knox formula?:)

I used to make them a long long time ago and some I had on the shelf for months never molded. I used plastic inserts under the lids. Make sure you use distilled bottled water, not tap.

Thanks for the tip about the plastic inserts and the distilled water. I did use tap water when I made them, but only the ones in my house got mold??? The ones I gave my family did not. I made these 4 years ago or so and used beads from ebay to make them.

I too think you had mold due to the tap water. I have made these for about 4 years and I always use distilled water now. When I first started I used tap water because it was readily available---I, too, had mold problems.

For the water crystal type, it depends on your tap water supply. If you have good tap water, it has had chorine and floride added to it, therefore, will not mold. I've been selling the water crystal style for years, and only ever had one case of mold, and that was when the customer used well water to "refresh' them. Also, you can add a few drops of "high grade" alchol to help inhibit the mold spores.

Mold grows from dust molecules and mold spores, not the water itself. Therefore, the enviroment that the smelly jellys are in are as important as the type of water used in their making

We just recently moved from one city to another and it was in that city where I made the smelly jellies using my tap water. Our tap water did have chlorine and flouride added to it and after a couple of months the smelly jellies did mold. Our city water supply was so good there that when we went to have our water tested to install a below ground pool they said we didn't need to add anything but chlorine to our water. That is why I only use distilled water now---and of course we have well water now so we use distilled water only.

For the water crystal type, it depends on your tap water supply. If you have good tap water, it has had chorine and floride added to it, therefore, will not mold. I've been selling the water crystal style for years, and only ever had one case of mold, and that was when the customer used well water to "refresh' them. Also, you can add a few drops of "high grade" alchol to help inhibit the mold spores.

Mold grows from dust molecules and mold spores, not the water itself. Therefore, the enviroment that the smelly jellys are in are as important as the type of water used in their making

We just recently moved from one city to another and it was in that city where I made the smelly jellies using my tap water. Our tap water did have chlorine and flouride added to it and after a couple of months the smelly jellies did mold. Our city water supply was so good there that when we went to have our water tested to install a below ground pool they said we didn't need to add anything but chlorine to our water. That is why I only use distilled water now---and of course we have well water now so we use distilled water only.

WOW< congrats>> My Pool requires much more than just adding Chlorine to it. You are so LUCKY. I hae dealing with all the chemicals. We had to add all sorts of anti-alage chemicals to make the pool ready for winter

As i was saying.. The problem with distilled water is that it doesn't have any "germ killers" added to it. Distilled water is simply that.. It's the purified water.. which means it doesn't have any resources to attack the germs and mold that are everywhere. Even a single skin cell scratched into a bowl of water can cause mold.

• Thumbs Up 1

As i was saying.. The problem with distilled water is that it doesn't have any "germ killers" added to it. Distilled water is simply that.. It's the purified water.. which means it doesn't have any resources to attack the germs and mold that are everywhere. Even a single skin cell scratched into a bowl of water can cause mold.

What? A single skin cell can cause mold? Sounds a bit crazy to me. Never heard of getting mold in smelly jellies using distilled water.

Well, when I make any items that call for water I use distilled bottled and will continue to do so. Heck, I don't even drink some tap water so I sure would not put it in any products I make to sell to the public :D

Well, when I make any items that call for water I use distilled bottled and will continue to do so. Heck, I don't even drink some tap water so I sure would not put it in any products I make to sell to the public :D

I am with you on this one. I also make sure and heat the water usually in a microwave to make sure all bacteria is destroyed.

I have always used distilled water, and I've never in the 5 years I made them had one get mold in it. In fact, I still have a few left downstairs that must be 3 years old, and they are fine, in fact I'm giving them as a Christmas gifts this year :wink2:

BTW, I've always heated my water in the microwave too, but not very hot, so I'm not sure heating did anything to kill any nasties.

Yes, a single skin cell (or dust as some of you may call it) can cause mold. .what you seem to be missing is that it is not about the enviroment they are in when they are made, but the environment they will be used in. you can heat up the water all you want when they are made, that doesn't change the fact that there is nothing in the water to kill the mold spores that may be present in the air.

And, of course, if you keep them closed they will be fine for many years, because you aren't exposing them to the air.

Yes, a single skin cell (or dust as some of you may call it) can cause mold. .what you seem to be missing is that it is not about the enviroment they are in when they are made, but the environment they will be used in. you can heat up the water all you want when they are made, that doesn't change the fact that there is nothing in the water to kill the mold spores that may be present in the air.

And, of course, if you keep them closed they will be fine for many years, because you aren't exposing them to the air.

Nobody is really arguing your point about a single skin cell can cause mold but I have been making and using smelly jellies for five years and the only time I ever had a problem was when I used tap water to make them. Those would mold with in a very short time. Smelly jellies are not meant to last forever I recommend to my customer to replace them every 4 to 6 month. I also recommend to my customer to refill them with warm distilled water. It is also stated on my warning label Heat distilled water in microwave till hot let cool a bit then add to jelly close lid to refresh. That is not my exact wording on my label but it is close.

OK, I will try to say this in small words. Distilled water is from water that has been boiled, the droplets that accumulate form the "distilled water" There are bacteria and mold spores everywhere, and they attach themselves to everything. City water has chorine and floride added to them, the chorine kills bacteria that it comes in contact with. It doesn't matter how you make an item, it's how the item is used. Now, if you live in an area where the water is undrinkable, of course,use bottled water, but it willnot prevent the item from molding, unless you add something to kill the spores

I do have a question I understand that "high grade" alcohol will inhibit the spores but alcohol evaporates so when you refresh you jelly what is to stop the spores then?

In very dry climates like mine having to refresh every 2 weeks is not unheard of. For that matter it get so dry here at times I have had to refresh even sooner in the winter months not so much but we are still very dry.

I actually just made my first bunch of smelly jelly jars. They turned out great. I use the directions on the BCN website. Was really easy and smell great. I just can't believe 1tsp of water crystals make an entire jelly jar full. I just boiled my tap water for a few minutes.