New to Board - My Favorite Scent Site and Cheap Containers

All I can say is Thank God Im not a Newbie anymore. I just gotta know, did this guy edit his replies or something, cause I just never saw a bad attitude here, it was still pretty descent even after everyone jumped in and started pointing fingers. What did I miss?

Yes, I really wanna know, LOL! :grin2:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at my maxout-est-I can turn out 750 a week... but that is with DH doing labeler for HOURS every night when he gets home:undecided

This guy is seriously FOS!!

AND I find those to claim themselves most godly are usually by far the most unworthly........ as in, shoot them DEAD.... LOL!!

"ifbygodtheygo" signs up... I say we all block the rat bastard!!:D

there ya go thats the attitude lol shut up and listen.. that should be the candletech newby motto.

you think votives are a pain try tealights.. try 250 tealights

i'm glad you decided to give us another try. were not bad people. ok not all of us. lol j/k

I will admit the whole business insurance thing has me worried now and wondering. I make absolutely nothing on this stuff. My wife has been on my case because I have been spending way too much. With all the labels, beeswax stamp and card, candle wax, SHIPPING, etc, it's actually been over $3.00 per candle expense. So with the added expense of insurance I would =(

Are there tell-tell signs of a candle with problems? I use a standard Oval Hex Jar 9oz and the IGI-4630 paraffin blend with a HTP wick. I originally started with a zinc wick but tried an HTP and liked the way it burns. It seems to burn perfect. I remember buying a TRAPP candle and at the very end of the candle it would spit out hot little pieces of metal!

All I can say is Thank God Im not a Newbie anymore. I just gotta know, did this guy edit his replies or something, cause I just never saw a bad attitude here, it was still pretty descent even after everyone jumped in and started pointing fingers. What did I miss?

I edit because I'm a horrible at spelling =)

Well at my maxout-est-I can turn out 750 a week... but that is with DH doing labeler for HOURS every night when he gets home:undecided

This guy is seriously FOS!!

AND I find those to claim themselves most godly are usually by far the most unworthly........ as in, shoot them DEAD.... LOL!!

"ifbygodtheygo" signs up... I say we all block the rat bastard!!:D

I started out with votives. I didnt say containers. edit for the addition - I never claimed I'm godly. =(

well spitting out metal flakes would be sign of a bad candle lol... i don't know so much if there's a tell sign its kinda trial and error make a candle let it cure burn it make sure your melt pool is good test hot throw test cold throw etc.. and you really should do that with every scent/color/wax combo you try.. like i said i'm still a newbie i stick to strictly 4oz tins, 1oz tarts, and tealights awful awful tealights lol

Making 3000 jar candles in 2 months or less is quite a "feet" (pun)

Lets see, you split your money in half, so 2.50 a candle times 3k would be $7500.00 you have raise and mailed off to the mission already? Good job, but your really are playing with fire and you need to take it slow and make sure your products are ready for retail. I personally dont think you are ready with just a month or 2 of candle making.

How much does your business insurance cost?

Bruce

Oops I just read the I dont have insurance.....

well spitting out metal flakes would be sign of a bad candle lol... i don't know so much if there's a tell sign its kinda trial and error make a candle let it cure burn it make sure your melt pool is good test hot throw test cold throw etc.. and you really should do that with every scent/color/wax combo you try.. like i said i'm still a newbie i stick to strictly 4oz tins, 1oz tarts, and tealights awful awful tealights lol

I never even thought about using tins. That's a good idea.

You know what you missed......the fact that a newbie came on the site talking about how much progress he has made in selling his candles with ONLY 2 months under his belt of experience, research and testing.

Beautiful.....The one thing that gets under a lot of folks skin on here is the fact that most of us have spent a LONG time getting to where we are with our business's and we take this very seriously. As I am sure you do too. I have to agree with the rest of my peeps that you have not been making candles long enough to be selling them. You are barely into a testing phase. IMO :D

BUT you are here now and we are happy to have you. BTW.....you will learn when to comment and when to click on another post instead.

I would love to know the same thing???

He misquoted me I have made roughly 200 container candles the rest were votives. 3000 wasnt a conservative figure =P. My point was to the OP, if I didnt know how to order how would I have already started making candles =P.

Anway as mentioned above in my previous post I currently don't have business insurance but it sounds like I'm going to need to check into it. :D

You know what you missed......the fact that a newbie came on the site talking about how much progress he has made in selling his candles with ONLY 2 months under his belt of experience, research and testing.

Beautiful.....The one thing that gets under a lot of folks skin on here is the fact that most of us have spent a LONG time getting to where we are with our business's and we take this very seriously. As I am sure you do too. I have to agree with the rest of my peeps that you have not been making candles long enough to be selling them. You are barely into a testing phase. IMO :D

BUT you are here now and we are happy to have you. BTW.....you will learn when to comment and when to click on another post instead.

:D

I in no way disagree that little sirens go off when I see this stuff, but I still feel bad for people when they come here all happy and excited only to start a thread like this one. I looked and the guy only has 4 scents so far, so he isnt like some of these people out there that say, hey, Im gonna start a candle business today and have 100 FO's available within a couple of weeks. They make one candle and think they have it down, and assume all the rest will burn the same way. It just seems like so many here dont remember what it was like to be a newbie. Coming on this board as a newbie and asking a question is like walking into the lions den. My heart sinks everytime I see the "What wax should I use" question.:cry2: It is a good sign that these people are coming here. It shows that they are interested in learning more. Maybe the mods should concider putting up a sticky on "What not to ask when you are a newbie", LOL!!!!!!

I am concerned about you not having insurance though. You really need to get that taken care of IMMEDIATLY!

Let me welcome you to our board of a wonderful blend of folks. We love what we do and we hate to see new folks come in without the thought of protecting themselves and their customers by having insurance.

I am sorry we scared you!! BUT it is better to scare you than you burn someones home down, dont ya think???

BTW....I noticed you are using 4630...that is an awful wax with the tendancy to smoke terribly. IMO!!!! There are a lot of folks here that love this wax and it works for them but I hated it. What made you choose that wax?

Why all this "my peeps" and "we" do this and "we" feel like that--you should speak for yourself and not the whole board. He has apologized, he has made amends so why the re-hashing and speaking as if they whole board feels this way--sorry, but you yourself have only been here less than a month, I find it funny you are talking as if you are the board spokesperson. I find that on most message boards, people speak their own mind.

Why all this "my peeps" and "we" do this and "we" feel like that--you should speak for yourself and not the whole board. He has apologized, he has made amends so why the re-hashing and speaking as if they whole board feels this way--sorry, but you yourself have only been here less than a month, I find it funny you are talking as if you are the board spokesperson. I find that on most message boards, people speak their own mind.

I may have been here for only a month but I have been doing this for a long time and totally understand the precautions that need to be taken before you market a product. By the way....why does the amount of time you have been a member on this forum always come into play? Just because I just joined this site does not mean that I am new by any means to candle making. Had it not been for Donita....I would have never thought to search the internet for a candle forum.

I did not read thru the posts to see where it came to an end. I got as far as where I quoted Bruce on the insurancequestion....that is why I went back and edited that.

Let me welcome you to our board of a wonderful blend of folks. We love what we do and we hate to see new folks come in without the thought of protecting themselves and their customers by having insurance.

I am sorry we scared you!! BUT it is better to scare you than you burn someones home down, dont ya think???

BTW....I noticed you are using 4630...that is an awful wax with the tendancy to smoke terribly. What made you choose that wax?

The creamy part in the description of the wax hehe. Plus I noticed the high fragrance yield and it seems to stick pretty good on my containers. Any suggestions on a good blend to try?

It hasn't got anything to do with candlemaking, I just think it is rude addressing someone new to this forum with "we" this and "we" that. I am sure alot of people here can and do speak for themselves. I just thought it was funny that you have been here less than a month and you feel entitled to speak as if this is a big clique that you are in charge of. Doesn't come across as anthing other than patronizing to someone new here--point being that you are new here yourself. Even the mods, most of who have been here for sometime, don't address people like that. It is rude.

I used to love the 1275 from C&S until I got a bad batch and got a replacement sent to me in the form of IGI's 4630.....well no matter what I did, I could not get this stuff to not smoke. There are others here who like it and have luck with it.

I now use Farmhouse's 50/50 blend. I did not want to switch to a straight soy or a straight paraffin so this gives me the benefits of both. I love the way it burns, I love the way it colors nice but I do not like the frosting that I get on my jars....some say heat your jars so I am going to try that once I start on my next case of wax.

I have been busy filling holiday orders of tins and electric candles.

What State are you in?

It hasn't got anything to do with candlemaking, I just think it is rude addressing someone new to this forum with "we" this and "we" that. I am sure alot of people here can and do speak for themselves. I just thought it was funny that you have been here less than a month and you feel entitled to speak as if this is a big clique that you are in charge of. Doesn't come across as anthing other than patronizing to someone new here--point being that you are new here yourself. Even the mods, most of who have been here for sometime, don't address people like that. It is rude.

I am soooo sorry for the offense. The intention was not to speak for everyone, apparently it just came across that way. I meant we as in myself and my friends that I have that are candle makers as well. You seem to really have a problem with the fact that I am new to the forum. I am not sure why this matters.

I used to love the 1275 from C&S until I got a bad batch and got a replacement sent to me in the form of IGI's 4630.....well no matter what I did, I could not get this stuff to not smoke. There are others here who like it and have luck with it.

I now use Farmhouse's 50/50 blend. I did not want to switch to a straight soy or a straight paraffin so this gives me the benefits of both. I love the way it burns, I love the way it colors nice but I do not like the frosting that I get on my jars....some say heat your jars so I am going to try that once I start on my next case of wax.

What State are you in?

I'm in Missouri. My candles were smoking so I switched to a cotton core wick and it seems to be doing better now. I also started heating my jars up. Right when I break down the wax into my melter I put the trays into the oven with wick bars/ wicks and all and set it to about 140. I tried 160 and all of my wicks slid out of the tabs lol.

I like the sound of that Farmhouse's 50/50 blend =).

I am soooo sorry for the offense. The intention was not to speak for everyone, apparently it just came across that way. I meant we as in myself and my friends that I have that are candle makers as well. You seem to really have a problem with the fact that I am new to the forum. I am not sure why this matters.

I don't have a problem with the fact that you are new to the forum, as I have explained twice now, I have a problem with the patronizing tone you took with a newbie, considering you are a newbie yourself. Talk about irony.

What State are you in?

I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for all this info =P

I don't have a problem with the fact that you are new to the forum, as I have explained twice now, I have a problem with the patronizing tone you took with a newbie, considering you are a newbie yourself. Talk about irony.

There is a difference between being new to this forum and being a newbie to candle making. There is no irony and I did not patronize him!!! Did you read the posts?? I am not the one who jumped on him like fleas at a circus.

Poor guy never had a chance.

I should have read the entire thread before I quoted. I hate to go back and edit because people think your hiding something.