parrafin wax bashing

HA HA HA!!!! I love the gas fireplace crap. My parents have a house that has 4, yes I said 4. My Mom burns candles everyday. Not ONCE has she had to replace her logs. Maybe you have a lot of dust and hair in the air at your house and that is what did it. (Just a thought, since that is what you like) :D

Also I make both paraffin and soy candles.............................................

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just my two cents worth - but something that made me think a lot about this topic.

Ok, soy candle makers who bash parrafin often say how it is petroleum based etc. So, what about the amount of petroleum it takes to grow those soybeans? And since so many of the soybeans grown here in the states are genetically modified, you should also think about all the chemicals used to keep all those nasty weeds out of the fields! Oh, then we can talk about the chemicals/petroleum that is used in the processing of the beans to make the wax! I think that each type of wax has its benefits and drawbacks. I refuse to do the bashing thing. I make soy candles because I like working with soy- quirks and all. When people come to me and start repeating some of that pro-soy stuff, I just usually tell them that it all depends on the quality of the candle and the correct combination of wax, color, wick etc.

I even recently had a woman selling smelly jellies at a show bashing all candles because they were the number one cause of home fires in the US. She had a whole schpeel about the dangers of candles and boy, was her voice loud! I didn't turn around and talk about all the dangers of using the chemicals used to make smelly jellies or anything like that. I don't appreciate bashing and won't buy from someone who does.

Ok, deep breath...

nantes

Here I'm still waiting on the carcinogen reply ... but I have a good idea where those Roma facts were generated ... from someone else's site that says the same damn thing.

No proof is there?

Tell you what Bill, the debate is old and boring on this site and any candlemaking site ... even heavies are going to sell their crap with a little bit of advertising mumbo jumbo.

One source I do trust ... the National Candlemaker's Association. Why don't you do a little reading there. CHeck out the Q&A section.

And no Roma, you didn't have to mention paraffin at all. I don't believe I said anything about that. But I think you are promoting hype.

Now everyone can use the search feature on here for soy vs. paraffin or even paraffin vs. soy and you will find much opinion, debate and more links to go find some facts.

Why use soy? Because you like the way it burns, it's esthetically appealing to you ... that's good enough reason to use it right? Not because it's all natural ... because it ain't, not because it's the health-kick for waxes right? Not because it supports anything ... hell paraffin users are great supporters of an American industry too ... Absurd as all this crap is, thanks for today's stimulation. At age 87, I need all I can get. :tongue2:

Someone mentioned that the "majors" such as Eco Soya would have the benefits listed on their website if they were true. Well.........NGI makes Eco Soya and here is a link to their website describing the benefits of soy.

http://www.ngiwax.com/AboutEcoSoya/Benefits.php

That is not proof or links mentioned to real scientific data. There in lies the problem when quoting soy facts and guess what I am a soy candle maker have been for over 6 years. So I am not saying what I believe I am saying I will not quote those supposed facts with out the real scientific evidence to back it up.

Found an interesting article from Air Quality Sciences...sorry it is long but has some good info!

There areseveral indoor air hazards associated with the burning of candles. These can include:

Some candles burn cleaner than others do. One reason is that some of the fragrances that are added to candles may not have been made for that purpose and burn dirtier than others do because of the chemicals. One woman, who had burned up to 10 candles at a time for more than 12 years in the same house, never had trouble with soot until she replaced all of her existing candles with new soft aromatic wax candles being sold at a local store. Within a few months, soot stains appeared on her walls, windows, fabrics, electronic equipment, electrical outlets, light fixtures, and even inside her refrigerator!1

In addition to the type of candle, the length of the wick also makes a difference in the amount of soot it produces. The longer the wick, the more soot it produces. One way to find out how much soot a candle produces is to clean your TV set, and then set a new-lit candle near the TV while it is on. After the candle has burned a few hours, wipe the screen with a clean, white tissue. If you see soot problems, you should stop burning that candle.1 However, do not continue to burn candles near your TV or computer since soot from candles can damage these appliances if there is a sooting problem. Over a long time, however, sooting can be a problem when you breathe it in since these very small particles can get down into the smallest parts of your lungs where they may irritate your respiratory system.

Lead Wicks

Lead wicks have been popular because they are self-supporting wicks in containers for long-burning scented candles. They may also be found in large, poured candles (such as pillar candles and those in glass containers). Since lead melts at a low temperature, a large part of the lead becomes airborne when the candle is burned. It has been recommended to manufacturers that these lead wicks be replaced with cotton, paper, zinc, or tin. This is important because recent research has shown that burning just one candle a week with a lead wick for three to six hours in a poorly ventilated room gives off enough lead to result in child lead levels above the 10 µg/dl limit considered to be safe.2

In a recent study in Michigan, researchers bought 14 different brands of candles with metal-core wicks. They found that burning four of the candles for two hours could result in lead levels that could be harmful to one's health. In addition to breathing the lead in the air, children and pets can also be exposed to this lead from the candle soot that is deposited on the floor, furniture, and walls. This exposure can occur when children get lead on their hands from crawling around and putting their hands in their mouths. The emissions of lead from candles made in the U.S. varied from 1.1 to 66 µg/h, those made in Mexico ranged from 0.5 to 5.9 µg/h, and those from China ranged from 1.8 to 51 µg/h of lead.3 This is not unusual. In February 2000, there was another survey in which 285 candles from 12 different chain stores in the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area were examined. Of those, 30 percent were found to have metal wicks and nine of the candles contained as much as 85 percent lead. Burning such a candle could result in airborne lead levels 9 to 33 times higher than the EPA standard.4

In 1973, the Health Research Group alerted the CPSC that about half of all candles sold in the U.S. had wicks made with pure lead cores. The CPSC then negotiated a voluntary program with candle manufacturers to stop the manufacturing and importing of candles with lead wicks. However there was no requirement for monitoring the candles to make sure that candle companies and the imported candles were complying with the voluntary program.3 Recent popularity in burning candles has encouraged new manufacturers to begin making candles to take advantage of this growing market without regard for the health and safety of the users?not all candle manufacturers in the United States belong to the National Candle Association (NCA). However, the NCA, which promotes lead-free candles, says that companies belonging to their organization make about 95% of the candles manufactured in the United States today. Though the NCA says that the wicks of almost all candles made in the US are made of cotton, if you want to make sure a metal wick is not lead they recommend rubbing the wick of an unburned candle with a piece of paper. A lead-core wick will leave a gray pencil-like mark, while a zinc or tin wick will not.5

Pollutants in the Candles

In addition to wicks, there are also the ingredients in the candles themselves. Three materials are mostly used to make candles: paraffin, stearic acid, and beeswax. Paraffin, which is an oil-refinery product, makes up about 90 percent of all candles as opposed to the natural materials of stearic acid and beeswax. One study showed that a home's level of PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) rise when residents burn candles.6 Tests also found that candles that had finishes to them emitted acetaldehyde and formaldehyde. Though the candles gave off some emissions, the organic pollutants they measured from burning 30 candles were much less than the pollutants produced by burning one cigarette.7

But for many pollutants, there are no known safe levels to prevent problems such as cancer. Therefore, when the State of California identified at least seven toxicants in candles' waxes, including benzene, which can cause cancer, they filed suit against 33 candlemakers under California's Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (also known as Proposition 65).8 This is because candle manufacturers have seen how well fragrant candles have been selling, so some have been putting many fragranced oils into their wax mixtures, which are not meant to be burned. Many of these fragrance oils are unsaturated hydrocarbons that end up softening the wax so it does not burn cleanly. Fragranced candles can also release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) associated with the odors.

I find it offensive. Prove the cancer crap to me and tell me the reason why you use it? So we can take this one at a time, but there's not even a reason to bring it up is there? Yet, you do.

Soy wax is not a natural by-product. Do you think they squeeze the bean to get the wax? It doesn't just peal off the bean either. It's manufactured to get the wax from what's left of the product once the farmers harvest them, but the wax is a minute portion of soybean growing in the US.

I don't buy the expanded burn time either. I think that's a joke.

Good to know that there is now a gas fireplace issue out there.

You did forget that using soy wax will keep your Mona Lisa's from losing that smile ... :tongue2:

:thumbsup: Thats good stuff!

I don't use any of the info out there about soy.

All I say about my soy candles is they will burn with little to no soot when burned properly (fact) and can burn longer than paraffin (statement). As far as I know, from the info stated from where I buy my wax, the sow wax I use comes from American farmers so I also state helps the American soy bean farmers (fact, as far as I know).

Good candlemakers market the quality of their products, regardless of the ingredients. Paraffin is natural, non-toxic and biodegradeable. Would a paraffin candle be marketed primarily on that basis? Of course not, because that would be a lame way to market a candle.

Why is that lame? Personally if I was going to buy a quality candle whether Paraffin or Soy and that was some of the additional benefits of that candle I would be more inclined to buy it if I knew it was more then just a great smelling candle!

I don't use any of the info out there about soy.

All I say about my soy candles is they will burn with little to no soot when burned properly (fact) and can burn longer than paraffin (statement). As far as I know, from the info stated from where I buy my wax, the sow wax I use comes from American farmers so I also state helps the American soy bean farmers (fact, as far as I know).

I have to say that the whole "longer burning" thing is a bunch of BS myself! I was hearing all the "great" things about soys candles.....so I bought one for myself. (I use paraffin) My candle lasted a lot longer than the soy candle.O yeah, and as for the scent throw(may not have anything to do with it, but just for the record) it blew that triple scented soy candle right out of its boots!I will never bash anyones products. In fact I have a good friend of mine that makes soys candles.When someone asks me if my candles are soy....I send them to her! No one is right and no one is wrong. Everyone has different opinions! so lets just keep our mouths shut and sell our own wonderful smelling products!:highfive:

I have to say that the whole "longer burning" thing is a bunch of BS myself! I was hearing all the "great" things about soys candles.....so I bought one for myself. (I use paraffin) My candle lasted a lot longer than the soy candle.O yeah, and as for the scent throw(may not have anything to do with it, but just for the record) it blew that triple scented soy candle right out of its boots!I will never bash anyones products. In fact I have a good friend of mine that makes soys candles.When someone asks me if my candles are soy....I send them to her! No one is right and no one is wrong. Everyone has different opinions! so lets just keep our mouths shut and sell our own wonderful smelling products!:highfive:

I only state CAN not WILL burn longer.

That's okay and you are entitled to your opinion. Yes I was TOLD this and I did see it first hand. I am saying that since it did happen to me, and infact most reputable gas fireplace companies will tell you this, I saw the proof first hand. Now I'm not here to argue and I will not all I know is I NEVER bashed a paraffin candle I was just stating my opinion as you were. I prefer soy, so what, you prefer paraffin, so what. It's just a matter of preference, I never bashed a paraffin candle nor did I say I believe what is printed, as far as that goes we are all poluting the air by making any type of candle.

Again, you were TOLD this. You never saw this in writing from anyone that did scientific studies did you? I have burned parrafin for yearsssssssss and have always had gas fireplaces and never had a problem. Hmmmm I am not trying to get nasty with you, just trying to show you that all you are getting your facts from hearsay and web crap , not from scientific studies that are written in stone.

Found an interesting article from Air Quality Sciences...sorry it is long but has some good info!

Lead Wicks

Lead wicks have been popular because they are self-supporting wicks in containers for long-burning scented candles. They may also be found in large, poured candles (such as pillar candles and those in glass containers). Since lead melts at a low temperature, a large part of the lead becomes airborne when the candle is burned. It has been recommended to manufacturers that these lead wicks be replaced with cotton, paper, zinc, or tin. This is important because recent research has shown that burning just one candle a week with a lead wick for three to six hours in a poorly ventilated room gives off enough lead to result in child lead levels above the 10 µg/dl limit considered to be safe.2

This has to be the oldest information we have seen posted here in a LONG time. When was this quote originated... like 1970? I bet I still had my afro when this information came out! I wouldnt trust any of the information to be up to date from that site.

This has to be the oldest information we have seen posted here in a LONG time. When was this quote originated... like 1970? I bet I still had my afro when this information came out! I wouldnt trust any of the information to be up to date from that site.

lmfao.. I would have loved to see you in an AFRO. LOL