Oil Diffuser smoking...

Saltbox Pantry

Hmmm.

I read somewhere on this site people mixing their own blend....50 DPG and 50 FO.

I did blow it out after I saw it smoking....actually it's way too strong for my liking. It longered on for an hour afterwards. Got a nice headache now.

I think I will scrap that idea and sell the diffuser pot on its own.

SP

I am completely lost with this one?? Are you sure you are talking about "reed diffusers"? Because I don't think that is what you are meaning. Reed Diffusers are a bottle of "oil" with reeds (stick looking things just in case you are unsure of what they are) sticking out of them. There's no heat or flame involved.

No these are oil diffuser pots....sort of like the tart melters but shallower. You can use EO or premixed FO blends. I thought I could blend some of my own but was wrong.

I decided I'm going to just sell the pot on its own and the customer will have to find the oils elsewhere.

Thanks,

SP

Oil warmers and tart warmers are about the same thing. Im guessing the one you are using has a tealight candle to warm with? Bath and Bo>dy works has one at the mall going all day and it smokes like hell. Burnt oil not warmed oil and they get tons of people complaining about it. I told them last year they needed to get another kind of warmer that didnt get so hot.

Some oils like vanilla will smoke more than others, Im guessing all the low flash point oils will do it first. I sell the warmers that use a light bulb for warming oils or melts. Your mixture sounds about right for the scent, but if the tealight is too close to the melting plate or air cant get thru the warmer it will get too hot and smoke. Not what you want. I have some cool melters I have bought and cant sell because of the problem you are having.

Bruce

That's exactly what I'm talking about Bruce.....LOL

On the box they call it Oil Diffusers I guess this why its so confusing.....pretty Victorian teapot (fairly big) with the tealite to warm up the oils.

There's a fair distance between the flame but not much air flow so it could be the problem.

I'd post some picture's but it would have to be later this evening.

The "Mother" duty is now taking over....LOL

Thanks again,

SP

Yeah, a lot of the oil diffusers don't really work all that great. A bunch of them have the bowls just too close to the tea lights - you really need 3-4 inches and good air flow like Bruce saidd - they get way too hot.

I think those are more designed to have water in them with a few drops of essential oil. The water heats more gradually.

O.k. have a picture of it.oilwarmer.jpg

I only sold one out of the bunch and was thinking of putting them in my gift baskets as the focal point. They are pretty slow moving item on its own, so maybe they will be better in a gift basket. More of a focal point draw the attention to all the goodies in the basket and not so much the price tag....lol

Oh yes, this does have a lid but it broke so this is mine for testing. The lid is all filigree just like the body.

SP

Cute burner hope it works well with tarts, it looks almost identical to my Aunt's burner for tarts and she loves it. As for the oil mixture when I started out I was told to use a 2-1 DPG to FO ratio. I have always done it that way with happy results and no smoking with most my oils. The ones that have smoked are the ones usually with Vanilla in them or the thicker oils and I just don't offer them as refreshers. HTH

Firstly...if you are using an oil diffuser...you are to put only 7-10 drops of oil and mix it with water....the FO will be dispersed into the air by the evaporation of the water from being heated from the tealight. Using straight oil could cause a fire....DPG is used as a diluter for incense sticks or diffusere reeds.

I'm testing a new oil diffuser holder and my oil blend....first time. Its been on for about 1 minute and its smoking. I have never used diffusers so I don't know if its normal or if the oil is getting too hot.

My oil blend is 50 DPG -50 Sunflower FO.

TIA,

SP

Do you mean the kind with a wick and stone that you light. Like pictured here... http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/courtneyscandles_1922_144375131

The FO is less than what you are using. Can't find my notes but do a search on 'catalytic conversion lamps' or lampe berger.

Here is one: 1/4 to 1/2 oz FO to a 16 oz bottle of 91% Alcohol.

And here are some messages from another board about the lamps.

http://boards.bittercreek.com/tool/view/mb/search/bittercreek?searchid=7658873

Hi there,

No its not Berger type. I actually posted a picture. I think its on page two. Its similar to a tart warmer. I tested some wax melts and it worked fine even though the vessel is not as deep.

For the oils, I think I have to add some water like others have mention.

I do like the bergers and probably try those next....BUT have to save up a bit more $$...LOL

SP