Whats your favorite wick?

Im making 10 10oz container candles for a girl that I work with...Ive been using cotton wicks but wanted to know if there are any wicks that you think are the best for containers. Im not very good at all when it comes to the different types of wicks. Thanks for any info you can give me.

I'm in love with zinc wicks and think they are especially good for containers, but honestly there are so many that would work for your application. I seem to remember that a lot of people here also use and highly recommend the LX series for containers. I love the low smoke zinc just because I can use them in pillars, containers and bakery items (although I haven't found one that works right in votives).

CD wicks are great also, and are pretty hot. There's also so many sizes that you can't help but find one that'll work in your application.

I became a wick 'ho several years back and I now have 32 bins that hold probably 3 or 4 thousand wicks in basically all the sizes/types made. It's great to have them all available for testing purposes :)

DanaE

This is what I look for in a good wick!! :)

No smoke

nice steady flame

upright thru entire burn

If the zincs do that, then I will order them!

Question: Does the zinc core burn down with the wick or are you left with this piece of metal sticking up where all the cotton around it has burned away?

The containers are 3.5" wide..I found 51-32-18-Z from Peak, says its for 3-4" containers.

I use pre-tabbed zinc core wicks in my 10oz container candles and love them. For a 10oz container I use #5, unless the scent is heavy and then I up to #6 assuming the mp is not higher than 125. I love them because:

1. They do not smoke

2. The flame is straight

3. The metal is not expoxed, it burns down with the wick

My only complaint is that initially there is a mushroom, and then once that is knocked off or clipped it is steady as she goes. I have tested all the wicks and this one seems to work the best in pre-blended paraffin wax for containers. Hope that helps!!

-Denise :wink2:

Thanks for the info Denise! I actually was not going to use pretabbed wicks...i really only like those for votives and pillars. I thought about getting 10 yards of zinc core wick and using wick stickums for the containers. Also, does anyone use microcrystaline wax? Nachelle at Peak told me that ppl sometimes add some to containers to help adhesion to the glass. I would like to try this and see if it helps with wet spots. The mp is 175 tho, which would raise the mp of the container wax??? Does this mean I would need to use a larger wick? Thanks!!

Thanks for the info Denise! I actually was not going to use pretabbed wicks...i really only like those for votives and pillars. I thought about getting 10 yards of zinc core wick and using wick stickums for the containers. Also, does anyone use microcrystaline wax? Nachelle at Peak told me that ppl sometimes add some to containers to help adhesion to the glass. I would like to try this and see if it helps with wet spots. The mp is 175 tho, which would raise the mp of the container wax??? Does this mean I would need to use a larger wick? Thanks!!

From what I understand, you'd have to use quite a bit of the microcrystalline wax to actually raise the meltpoint of the J223. I'm sure that the amount they recommend that you add wouldn't be enough to increase the meltpoint or drastically change the characteristics of the wax.

DanaE