dipped bears

Since this is my first go round with these, I've still got a lot to learn :o

1. I've seen some of these that are on wood plaques... aren't we supposed to cautioned customers NOT to put them on wood surfaces? I have one on a glass plate and one in a wicker chair (not sure if FO will be a problem or not) :( What all CAN they be displayed on/glued to?

2. On that note... what all are we supposed to caution them about? Besides where not to set, that it's not a toy, and not to torch them? I had never even heard of these before I found CT...lol. I don't want any accidents :eek:

3. I poked my nose in Ozark. Most of theirs are dressed up, yet still wax dipped. Has anyone done this? Do you dip them with their clothes on or afterward? Either way seems awkward. Definitely wouldn't work to dress them after they cooled, I barely managed to get a ribbon around that dang neck..lol.

I know there must be a 4 and 5 but can't remember now :D

5 Smileys is too many in a post... lets try 4

I like to keep these as simple as possible. I use the scraggle bears from peaks and take the bow off before dipping. After it's set and dried, I iron all the bows and tie them back on and package in the clear plastic bags with a big bow tied on top with instructions and scent displayed through the bag. I also include just a doiley for it to sit on.

I've seen some that are dressed up really cute with extras but I've found it much more cost efficient for me and the customer to keep it simple. However, I always leave the option open for specific orders. For example, in the gallery you'll see some really cute cheerleader ones.

Instructions are pretty simple and I think you covered most, not a toy, not a candle, protect furniture from FO and wax, keep out of direct sunlight and fluff with toothpick or comb and blowdryer when the scent needs boosted up.

HTH

Suzanne

I put them on wood plaques. First I coat the wood with a oil proof sealant that is either clear or white. This way it will not stain it and you do not have to worry about the customer ruin their furniture. I have also put the small ones in washtubs.

I don't use clothes, but if I did, I wouldn't dip them. I don't dip the bow - it just kinda has a stiff look to it, and I would want the clothing to look comfortable & flowing. Here's the caution I put:

* The fragrance will decrease over time if the animal is kept at room temperature. To refresh the scent, heat with a blow dryer for about a minute. Do NOT keep the blow dryer in the same spot as the bear can catch on fire from the heat. This will need to be done every few weeks or so, or as desired.

* Never put wax-dipped animals directly on wood. A dish, glass or metal, will protect the wood surface from stain by the oils in the wax.

* Keep out of the reach of children, as these animals are no longer toys.

* Wax dipped animals do NOT need wicks because they are NOT meant to burn. They are only to be used as decorative air fresheners.

* The bears will naturally lose scent over time. Since they sit at room temperature, naturally they cannot “throw” scent as well as a candle or potpourri burner.

We put ours on a glass plate as well, glue his butt down. Also would add that you want to keep them away from pets as well.

When we've dipped, as opposed to infusing them, we put clothes or ribbons etc. on after they've dried, preferring the more natural look as well. However, if you're doing shoes on their feet, well I'd wait till they were pliable enough, but not hard to get their feet in them.

I've found plates on sale everywhere..mis-matched stuff that came from a broken set (bed bath and beyond) and dollar stores, even grocery stores have some adorable ceramic stuff for around a buck...and it doesn't really matter what kind of plate they sit on..IMO< it's cool if each one is different most of the time. I just recently got some awesome plates from Bed/Bath/Beyond for .59 each!