wickless or tarts for throw

Kassandra

After being dissappointed in the throw in a lot of my tarts, I've decided to to go wickless to see if there is a difference in throw. I am thinking there will be, as there is a larger pool of melted max and also more volume of wax. Does anyone do both tarts and wickless, and do you find the throw of wickless to be much better? Does the strength (watts) of the wamer matter quite a lot? TIA, Kass

In my newbie uneducated opinion... they are pretty much the same. I only make the tarts so far, but I only use burners with the larger pots, and I use wide mouthed containers on the warmer...so I feel I'm getting just as much melt pool. I guess it does make sense that a wickless candle fully melted would give off more scent, but I'm not experienced in this yet.

I would also think that you would want a lower watt warmer... TOO hot would burn it off before it had a chance to really permeate an area for very long. But having said that, I'm not aware of that many different wattages. There are coffee mug warmers and there are candle jar warmers. I think the mug one is 25 ish watts? and the candle one is 17? Not sure, but I think for safety I will stick with the one meant for candles.

Maybe you already have, but I would try a different wax or FO. Sadly not all wonderful smelling FO's do ANYTHING in a pool of hot wax but sit right there in it.:undecided

Thanks, all, useful information! Actually burning the FO with a wick is sometimes the only way to get good throw sometimes...? Because the FO is being consumed as the wax burns off, so I guess those are two different things going on. It's always more complicated than it first appears, lol. And to think I started at this to save money. Now THAT is funny!

Don't forget to consider that it may be just your nose...what they call a Candle Nose around here, lol. You get used to the scent and it may seem weak to you... try going outside and taking a few deep breaths for about a minute and come back in. If you still can't smell it, then yeah it's petered out. There is actually a scientific reason why our noses do this. It is a defense mechanism. Same reason we don't smell our perfume but others will say we smell lovely, lol.

I use approx. 9% on my tarts. I have found that if you get a tart too strong, it can be a nauseating smell. I had a customer tell me that my tart was too strong. It was too overpowering. You might have candlenose. The cold throw in the tart was fine. BUT, when heated it was too stong of a smell. We allwant our end product to have a stong throw but sometimes a little can go a long way.