Anyone else disappointed in Reed Diffusers?

KMommy

I am very disappointed in the Reed Diffusers. I have tested several different bases and I am not pleased with the results. Not one single person that tried a few testers in their home stated that they would ever actually purchase a set. The reason is because the scent is so light that they feel they would rather spend less money and get a candle. Honestly, I feel the same. Especially since the Reeds are now more commonly seen at discount stores. The price for supplies - bottles, base, reeds, fragrance, shipping... makes it almost impossible to sell these at a price that would actually generate a profit. Anyone else disappointed with Reeds?

Gotta agree with Georgia. We sell lots of them. Several customers come back and buy them for gifts and for family. We have used them in our bathrooms for over four months, and the smell is great. Almost overpowering. We don't flip the reeds but every 2-3 weeks. So, don't know what to tell you.

Well, my experience is the same as Linda's. I have tried numerous FO's and bases. All of the FO's are very stong OOB. I have explained to testers that the scent is meant to be light but that is the problem. No one wants to spend very much money on a product that is a light scent. They felt that they could purchase potpourri for a lot less and get the same light scent. Every market area is different so I am glad it's working out for some.

I am doing very well with my diffusers. Strong OOB scent is a must, and not too thick. I do suggest that customers use them for small bedrooms, bathrooms, hallways and I'm getting repeat customers ordering more scents and we've been doing them since September. I have found the BEST enhancer is Candles & Supplies. What scents did you try? I don't do any bakery or vanilla based scents on my diffusers, mostly clean & fresh scents. Do you suggest that they flip their reeds over like once a week?

FO's used are very good quality from a supplier mentioned on the board with many positive comments. They are strong out of the bottle. I also don't do bakery scents. I told testers to flip the reeds every 1-2 weeks. I guess a very light scent is what they are supose to produce. The problem is that with a product producing only a light scent the cost of supplies is far too expensive to be able to sell these at a price that would make a profit. No one is willing to spend very much on a product that produces the same amount of scent as potpourri. Customers comment that they can get a very large bag of that at Walmart for 5.00. Plus, Reeds are more common now in stores and some are sold well below the cost that I could ever sell them for profit. I think alot of this just depends on the market area. Just like certain scents sell well in one area and not in others. I am glad some of you are having good luck with them! Thanks for the replies.

I think that the "novelty" has almost ran its course. (Although they will probably sell well to those holiday gift givers who need a gift in this price range and have no other ideas) Most everyone I know has tried them...and tossed them away in favor of other options that work much better. Once located in a few select stores, they are now available everywhere, and I would say for the most part are not getting rave reviews. I personally think for very small areas they work OK, but are not that attractive and are obtrusive in small areas. Dust collectors IMHO.

I don't care for them much either. I received one for a gift and I had to flip the reeds every few days in order to smell it at all. Since I mainly use tarts to scent my home, which are pretty powerful, the light scent of the reed diffusers is just not going to cut it for me. I tried it in my bathroom because I figured it might do better in a small room, but I still had to flip them every few days, plus the scent wasn't to my liking really, so I tossed it.

I'm wondering if it's the type of reeds. I purchased a diffuser from a well known retailer in June, placed it in my (large) living room, and it is STILL throwing a fragrance through the whole room. I think it's awesome! I noticed the reeds were thin and very absorbent. Then I got another brand and the reeds were thicker and didn't absorb the FO at all. You had to stand over the bottle to smell it. Just my .02

I guess it depends on your Market...we sell lots of our diffusers....but, we do not cut ours with DPG...we use the Perfumer's Alcohol..and only buy the "Bamboo" reeds..as they are the Most sufficient at "sucking up"...if you know what I mean. We have about 5 Kick Hiney scents and sell a ton of them!! Again, it depends on your market ...and the packaging has alot to do with it as well!! IMO.:D

HTH

Joyce (David's Wifey)....and Loving it!!

I'm not a fan of them myself, but they are moving very fast around here. I got a sample of the base from Greenleaf and it really held the FO. It worked and still works, I just think they take up too much space. Not to mention the dust balls it will eventually collect.