Peaks Mary Jane OOB

Jcandleattic

For anybody that may be interested, just wanted you all to know that OOB this scent is DEAD ON!! lol

I was in Peaks today and while talking to Alan, he had some scents spread on the counter so I was casually sniffing the ones I haven't tried yet, and came upon that one.. LOL Well, after sniffing that one it started a whole new topic of conversation about concerts, but just wanted you to know, if you've been looking for a good Mary Jane scent I'm sure this is it. Of course I haven't put it in wax, but like I said, OOB it really is dead on!!

HTH someone.. :)

Some weeks back a candle-loving friend of mine thought to mention (twice) how much she likes the smell of marijuana, so I've had a side-project going to make her a candle. Being as fussy as I am, I should have known how much money and time I'd end of spending to try and do it well.

Candlechem has this one, but it's is so lame OOB that it's not even going into wax. I know you aren't supposed to judge that way, but believe me it would be a waste of time.

Peaks Mary Jane is definitely better, but IMHO to say it's "dead on" would be a wild exaggeration. I would characterize it as reminiscent of the scent. I made a candle with this one and the cold throw is pretty good. I haven't burned it yet because I wasn't fully satisfied and thought I would see what else was available.

The Aroma Haven version arrived today. Off the bat I was disappointed by how similar it is OOB to Peaks. Obviously I was hoping for something distinctly different or I wouldn't have ordered it. However, it's not the same. A little more herbal, a little less sweet. It will definitely get tested in wax soon.

I ordered a bit of Botanical Hemp from Scent Works also. It hasn't arrived yet and I really don't know if it's supposed to smell like marijuana per se, but figured I'd check it out.

If anybody has a suggestion for a good weed FO I'd be happy to hear it. LOL, this is turning into a really expensive candle.

Well, to me it smelled just exactly like my brother's basement did when he would smoke his pot when he got sick with cancer, and "back in the day" I can absolutely remember that smell, and yep, it was right there in that bottle..

So when I say "dead on" I mean that is what the pot that I have been around smells like.

Maybe the pot you have been around smells differently??

Well, to me it smelled just exactly like my brother's basement did when he would smoke his pot when he got sick with cancer, and "back in the day" I can absolutely remember that smell, and yep, it was right there in that bottle..

So when I say "dead on" I mean that is what the pot that I have been around smells like.

I'm not a pot expert but different kind of weed, sometimes smell different. I know because my brothers used to smoke the stuff back when and I admit I tried it, but didn't inhale. :wink2::P

I bought this FO to make for my Brother-in-law a pillar candle kinda as a joke and while I was making it my daughter came running in asking me what the stench was,,LOL,,,It was funny,,,,I suggest anyone that does this FO to where a mask as it does reak,,,,:rolleyes2

Right on J stick to your guns lol :highfive:

Hopefully, no one will pour a batch of it and go out and get pulled over by the police. You know how the FO lingers on you. That would be a little hard to explain to the cops..."Oh officer, I was making a batch of candles!!" LOL

I've poured a couple of these for a friend's son...on the label it says:

"Honestly, Officer...I was just burning a CANDLE"

I believe I got my FO at soapncandles.

Ok I'm weird but I have never smelled pot-unfortunately can't say the same for DH in his younger days. Got some MJ from classifieds-wasn't even labled so I don't know where it came from but I made him a hemp leaf candle out of it. That stuff reeked-and natch it has a great cold throw and WILL NOT COME OFF OF YOUR HANDS!!! I hid the sample in my purse so he would not find it and I forgot it for a week-DD said mom you better hope you don't get pulled over-it made my purse stink and filled the car up when I went somewhere. When I made the candle I got DH and had him smell my leftover wax first-told him I thought I had been ripped of by Frag Company as it didn't smell like what I thought I bought. You should have seen his face:yay: . He said "Man that smells just like pot!!" What a hoot!

How come the FO's I want to smell that strong never do??

GLO

Some weeks back a candle-loving friend of mine thought to mention (twice) how much she likes the smell of marijuana, so I've had a side-project going to make her a candle. Being as fussy as I am, I should have known how much money and time I'd end of spending to try and do it well.

Candlechem has this one, but it's is so lame OOB that it's not even going into wax. I know you aren't supposed to judge that way, but believe me it would be a waste of time.

Peaks Mary Jane is definitely better, but IMHO to say it's "dead on" would be a wild exaggeration. I would characterize it as reminiscent of the scent. I made a candle with this one and the cold throw is pretty good. I haven't burned it yet because I wasn't fully satisfied and thought I would see what else was available.

The Aroma Haven version arrived today. Off the bat I was disappointed by how similar it is OOB to Peaks. Obviously I was hoping for something distinctly different or I wouldn't have ordered it. However, it's not the same. A little more herbal, a little less sweet. It will definitely get tested in wax soon.

I ordered a bit of Botanical Hemp from Scent Works also. It hasn't arrived yet and I really don't know if it's supposed to smell like marijuana per se, but figured I'd check it out.

If anybody has a suggestion for a good weed FO I'd be happy to hear it. LOL, this is turning into a really expensive candle.

I have the AH version and the only word I could think of is "harsh" when I smelled it. It has some of the right smell in there, just something harsh along with it that takes away from the right smell. Didnt pour it, but it smells unbelievably strong out of the bottle.

Got the botanical hemp last week from sw and it didnt give me a buzz either, :P it was mild.

Bruce

I used to be a pot expert, before I had my gorgeous son! I knew it would have a purpose someday, lol, so someone send me some samples and I'll give you my diagnosis;) , lol, just kidding!

Okay seriously though, I've been planning on buying this scent since I've been asked for it like 20 times! And I did have my share of hitimes back in the day. And if you have too, then you should understand my next question.

I'm looking for more of a 'chronic' type scent, rather than a 'schwag' type. I know a bunch of you are :laugh2: at me, but that is what it was called back then! Been out of that loop for awhile, so I don't know what they call it now. Anyhow, some shared experience on which ones smell similar to each would help a lot! Does anyone know which one peak's smells more like?

If anyone has any samples I could purchase, pease pm me, thanks so much!!!!

I have the AH version and the only word I could think of is "harsh" when I smelled it. It has some of the right smell in there, just something harsh along with it that takes away from the right smell. Didnt pour it, but it smells unbelievably strong out of the bottle.

Got the botanical hemp last week from sw and it didnt give me a buzz either, :P it was mild.

Bruce

Just trying to cop some kind FO here.

I have 6 of them now...Peak, Aroma Haven, Scent Works, SoapnCandles, Save on Scents (Ultra), and Candlechem. When I have a chance I'm gonna put a smidge of each into a 2 oz votive mold and pour some pre-blend over them.

The Peaks and RA have been in wax already. The Peaks doesn't quite have that harsh edge you were describing and seems to throw much better than RA. They are sorta of the same ilk though.

So far none have really rung the bell for me OOB. I was hoping for something that smells like fresh skunky weed. I'd say this assortment leans in 2 directions -- either botanical but without the pungency of bud (Candlechem, Scent Works), or a kind of semi-burnt pot-like smell (Peak, AH, SNC). I don't know what to make of the SOS ultra concentrate. It smells kind of floral. It will be interesting to see if that one morphs in wax but I guess I don't have high hopes for it.

Since I've already blown so much cash I figured why not a little more, so I ordered this too: http://www.smellkaya.com/

I used to be a pot expert, before I had my gorgeous son! I knew it would have a purpose someday, lol, so someone send me some samples and I'll give you my diagnosis;) , lol, just kidding!

Okay seriously though, I've been planning on buying this scent since I've been asked for it like 20 times! And I did have my share of hitimes back in the day. And if you have too, then you should understand my next question.

I'm looking for more of a 'chronic' type scent, rather than a 'schwag' type. I know a bunch of you are :laugh2: at me, but that is what it was called back then! Been out of that loop for awhile, so I don't know what they call it now. Anyhow, some shared experience on which ones smell similar to each would help a lot! Does anyone know which one peak's smells more like?

If anyone has any samples I could purchase, pease pm me, thanks so much!!!!

No responses:waiting: (Not mad, just thought this was cute, lol! It's actually 'waiting'.) Anyone??

OK here's my summary of the pot FOs I tried out. Bear in mind I couldn't afford to spend ages deciding which to use so I didn't test them as thoroughly as I could have. I simply put a sample of each into a votive cup, poured 4794, mixed by moving the base of a votive pin up and down through the wax, then allowed to set up. None were burned except the Peak, which was the first one I acquired and made a pillar out of when it arrived.

AromaHaven, SoapnCandles - These two scents are in the same family yet distinct. The AH, which Bruce found a little harsh OOB, smooths out in wax. Both seemed reasonably strong cold. The SnC had a strong "marijuana ashtray" note that I found a little nasty, while the AH seemed to strike a better balance. Both were focused more on the burnt marijuana smell than I wanted.

Peak - This one is not unrelated to the first two but strikes a different balance. It evokes a lit joint in a slightly more pleasant way than the AH and SnC, with a bit more of an herbal note and a hint of sweetness. Both cold and hot throw are respectable.

Candlechem, Scent Works - These are the botanical hemp scents. The SW is correctly labeled as such while the Candlechem is mislabeled as marijuana. The SW is and smells like the slightly higher end version, but they are very similar. Neither smells like marijuana, either burning or fresh. They simply smell herbaceous, like some unidentifiable plant you might run across in the wilderness.

Save On Scents - SOS gets points for originality. This is a crystal clear liquid that is perhaps closest to Peak in its intent, but with a surprising floral note that's especially striking OOB but balances out in wax. An unusual and fairly pleasant interpretation. Not nearly as strong as you might expect from an "extreme concentrate" version.

IS THERE A WINNER?

I hate to say it, but an education is all my time and money bought me in the end. Peak is the first one I got and nothing managed to edge it out, though I could imagine someone preferring one of the others as a matter of taste, especially the AH.

I think the world still needs a truer mary jane fragrance. In particular, I set out to find an authentic smell of fresh high quality bud and there seems to be no such scent.