Married to a Metro

Indescent

Hey gang :)

Hope all is well with you. I'm looking for some great B&B recipes for me (shaving cream, after shave balm, tonic, etc). I've done some searching but they seem scarce and stuff that my metro husband wont touch (this is specifically for him).

Also, which Mens scents are big with you? Believe it or not, he's not thrilled about VSFM as I am (I know the horror). However, we do agree that Black Code (by Armani) has to be the sexiest fragrance in the world-- but I cant find a dupe anywhere!

TIA for your help!

Hi Sweetie! Whatcha doing up there? I hope having a blast! ;) I looked for the aftershave in my notes and wouldn't you know I couldn't initially find it. LOL. But here it is. Enjoy tweaking.

1/8 cup witch hazel

1/4 cup distilled water

capful of glycerin

10 drops of Lavender Oil

2 drops of Tea Tree Oil

2 drops of Peppermint Oil

Add more peppermint if he likes the cooling effect; but, again really basic but hubby seems to like it... ok, I'm sitting here typing this and my boys are tearing up my living room wrestling with our Lab. Oye! Gotta go! Smoochies. :wink2: GO FALCONS!!!!

Guest EMercier

Hmmm, I might have to try that. I get alot of men that like my candles, but I wanted to get into the aftershave and such. Sorry, but I have to . . .

E A G L E S !!!

Ok, I don't want to sound stupid, but what's a "Metro Male"??? :confused:

I'm assuming it's like hetrosexual but it's METROsexual? Am I right? But, what does that mean?

LOL

Ok, back to my poe dunk life in this poe dunk town where I never find out anything good/fashionable/trendy...... :rolleyes2 LOL

I make a lot of this and the guys love it. ( I include a small bottle of lotion in the same fragrance)

Something for the men!

« on: Aug 4th, 2004, 3:05pm »quote.gif Quote modify.gif Modify My DH is absolutely not a "lotion" kind of guy, but I wanted to make something soothing for his face for after shaving. He loves my shaving soap, and I wanted something to complement it. I wanted something that would be greaseless with nice skin feel and might help with any nicks, cuts or ingrown hairs. So I was fooling around and created an oil-free, light, quick absorbing aftershave balm that he absolutely raves about. He said it is just like an Yves St Laurent balm he got as a gift over 20 years ago, it was $15 at that time and he hoarded it for five years, using it only on special occasions. He was thrilled with this formula, so I wanted to share it.

15% aloe vera juice

65% distilled water

1% citric acid

1% allantoin

3% Structure XL

10% witch hazel

1% hydrolyzed wheat protein

1% cyclomethicone

1% polysorbate 20

1% fragrance of choice (I used Peak's Midsummer Night)

1% Germaben II or suitable preservative of choice

Heat and hold water and aloe vera juice. Add allantoin and citric acid and stick blend. Add Structure XL and allow to hydrate. Add witch hazel, wheat protein and cyclo, stick blend. Mix fragrance and polysorbate 20 until blended, then add to mix. Add preservative at appropriate time and temp. Pour into malibus (small orifice tops work best) and cap when cool.

Here's the reasoning behind the seasoning:

Aloe vera - healing and soothing

Citric Acid - pH adjuster (ph should be about 4.5-5 to counteract the alkaline soap residue)

allantoin - soothing and healing, helps repair skin so I thought it would be good for nicks.

cyclomethicone - gives "slip" and good feel, but is not greasy or poreclogging

hydrolyzed wheat protein - mildly conditioning, adds silky feel and a mild "film" quality, making your skin feel smoother.

Structure XL - a corn starch derivative that gels waterbased substances. I use it to give body to the balm and make it easier to apply. You could sub any other type of gelling agent if you want, I suppose, like Ultramaize.

Witch hazel - antibacterial, cooling because it contains alcohol, quick dry

You could leave out the allantoin and wheat protein and citric and cyclo if you want, just replace with water or aloe in the percentages. It will feel a bit different, and won't be as healing without the allantoin, but it is still nice. You could also leave out the poly 20 and FO if you don't want to have that, or replace with EOs as desired.

This balm is milky in appearance, kind of a thin gel consistency. It goes on smooth and dries quickly, and it's soothing. And definitely NOT girly in the least LOL «

Ok, I don't want to sound stupid, but what's a "Metro Male"??? :confused:

I'm assuming it's like hetrosexual but it's METROsexual? Am I right? But, what does that mean?

LOL

Ok, back to my poe dunk life in this poe dunk town where I never find out anything good/fashionable/trendy...... :rolleyes2 LOL

According to my kids, it is a hetrosexual man who is always primping and really goes overboard with the way he looks. Is always in front of the mirror and everything has to be just perfect.

Yup! That would be my DH, to an extent. I wouldn't say he's overboard, but conscious of his looks. His "primping" is not in vain and I don't have to worry about dirt under the nails (shudder), beer stained wife beaters or ratty clothes from the eighties LOL.

Its true-- Metros are great; uber-stylish and sexy LOL (Ask me how I know LOL)

Thanks for the recipe-- with him being deployed I know this will make an awesome gift basket for him!

According to my kids, it is a hetrosexual man who is always primping and really goes overboard with the way he looks. Is always in front of the mirror and everything has to be just perfect.

That is a somewhat harsh, rogue description that is not quite accurate. (here's a paraphrased description):

The term "metrosexual" was coined by a journalist, to describe a new kind of urban male who is straight, but in touch with his feminine side and not afraid to show it. Essentially, metrosexuals are guys who take on behaviors and show an interest in things that have traditionally belonged in the female domain.

The Metrosexual man is indeed fashion conscious. He looks perfectly put together, be it t-shirt and jeans or heading out to a black-tie event. His nails are clean and buffed. His clothes are perfectly pressed and exquisitely coordinated. He probably even smells better than you. lol

These are the guys you can shop till you drop with. They can discuss fashion, will notice your great new shoes, buy their grooming products from the same places you do and have no qualms about having a manicure, pedicure or facial. You can actually TALK to these guys about something other than sports, cars and other traditionally male interests. These are the guys you can take to the opera, symphony and ballet.

They are in touch with their "softer" more sensitive side and are confident enough in their masculinity to show it.

Don't know about you, but to me a metrosexual man is much more relatable and easier to have a relationship with. He may be overly fussy with his hair and have a better wardrobe than you, however, if he's sensitive to YOUR needs, easy to talk to and fun to be with, great with kids and very supportive of your goals, isn't that what what we women really want and find most appealing?

I TOTALLY agree, Elizabeth!

Thanks SO much for posting that-- I LOVE shopping with and for my DH. I just sent him some magazines-- GQ, Mens Health, Mens Vogue and Flex (b/c he is into heavy body building). And I will be the first to admit, when I'm not "on point", he will tell me LOL. But I do simply adore him!

That is a somewhat harsh, rogue description that is not quite accurate. (here's a paraphrased description):

The term "metrosexual" was coined by a journalist, to describe a new kind of urban male who is straight, but in touch with his feminine side and not afraid to show it. Essentially, metrosexuals are guys who take on behaviors and show an interest in things that have traditionally belonged in the female domain.

The Metrosexual man is indeed fashion conscious. He looks perfectly put together, be it t-shirt and jeans or heading out to a black-tie event. His nails are clean and buffed. His clothes are perfectly pressed and exquisitely coordinated. He probably even smells better than you. lol

These are the guys you can shop till you drop with. They can discuss fashion, will notice your great new shoes, buy their grooming products from the same places you do and have no qualms about having a manicure, pedicure or facial. You can actually TALK to these guys about something other than sports, cars and other traditionally male interests. These are the guys you can take to the opera, symphony and ballet.

They are in touch with their "softer" more sensitive side and are confident enough in their masculinity to show it.

Don't know about you, but to me a metrosexual man is much more relatable and easier to have a relationship with. He may be overly fussy with his hair and have a better wardrobe than you, however, if he's sensitive to YOUR needs, easy to talk to and fun to be with, great with kids and very supportive of your goals, isn't that what what we women really want and find most appealing?

I said this was according to my kids. This is how the kids in high school describe a metrosexual.

Actually the description coined by a journalist fits my gay friend to a 't' except he's gay.