candle making suppliers

hi everyone

sorry im yet another newbie hehe

i made some of my own candles years ago when i was young, just buying candle kits. now id like to make some more and hopefully sell them. i was just thinking of keeping it simple just now and just melting wax, pur it into a mould, let it set and see what the outcome is to be honest!! im in scotland, could anyone help me find uk stockists of scent etc for when i get more adventurous! what could i use for moulds for wax or do i really have to buy them? am i better off just sticking to this approach or could anyone suggest other basic candle making techniques i could try til i have a better idea what im doing?! :D thanks for any help you can give me and im gonna use this little smiley :drool: just cos i like it¬ hehe

hi, and welcome. As far as suppliers on your side of the pond all I can recommend is to send a PM to agentelrond. She is a member of the board and in England. (click the "member list" above to find her. You might also find some helpful info here http://www.candlemaking.org.uk/index.html For starters, I would look for a kit that gives you basic supplies and instructions.

As for molds, look around you. Lots of things can be used as long as they tear away or are wider at the top so the wax comes out. Not sure what you have there, but 3 ounce Dixie cups make great votives and I started using plastic soda bottles that I cut away when the candle was cool. I saw a post once where a lady used a large ladle to make mushroom cap candles.

Now, for that "simple" part...candle making is not simple. It truly is a science. If you are going to dink around just for your amusement, have fun. If you are actually going to sell them to people, you need a lot of money, time and patience to create really good candles. And if they aren't really good candles, people may buy once but they won't buy twice. :sad2:

And, I like that drooly guy, too! :drool:

No need to be sorry, Welcome to the board :)

Yes, you could play around with just wax. If you've made kit candles in the past, you should already have an idea of what making a candle is like, so I'm not sure the plain wax will help much. You can't really test burning properties and wicks etc (well you could), unless it's plain white unscented candles that you wanting to sell in the future. They will burn very different and need different wicking after you add FO and colors to it. Each change you make will need to be fully tested. When you add a new fragrance, or even the same fragrance from a different supplier, testing starts again.

If you're serious about wanting to make a quality candle and sell in the future... start out with reasearch. Read, read, and read some more. The basic instructions are a good place to start, along with the tips, newbie sections and FAQ's. Read as many of the old posts as you can stand ;) Even ones that the thread subject doesn't seem to apply to you. The threads takes some amazing and informative turns sometimes :) When you come across something that doesn't make sense, and none of the other info clears it up. Ask :D

sorry whats fo? and yeah i just said sorry again so sorry for being sorry hehe :drool: and yup its the drooly face again just beacuse i liked it. yeah itll mean a lot of testing and experimenting and even if i dont get the results i want itll be fun trying! local stockist seem to be non existant so looks like ill be ordering wax etc from the net which will be expensive but nevermind!

just oone quick question though, ive been trying to do chunk candles, but the wax im pouring in seems to hide the colour of the chunks i already have in there, i tried to have red and organge chinks and plain wax to show the colours up better, but they seem to have been mostly hidden again! i have a pic but dont see how to post it any hints and advice would be appreciated!

What wax are you using? Try using a translucent wax like IGI 1343A for your over pour. It sounds like you are using a more opaque wax for the over pour and can't see the chunks through it. What temp are you pouring at?Sometimes if I want more color to show I will pour the over pour a little hotter to that my chunks 'bleed' some color into the overpour

sorry whats fo? and yeah i just said sorry again so sorry for being sorry hehe :drool: and yup its the drooly face again just beacuse i liked it. yeah itll mean a lot of testing and experimenting and even if i dont get the results i want itll be fun trying! local stockist seem to be non existant so looks like ill be ordering wax etc from the net which will be expensive but nevermind!

just oone quick question though, ive been trying to do chunk candles, but the wax im pouring in seems to hide the colour of the chunks i already have in there, i tried to have red and organge chinks and plain wax to show the colours up better, but they seem to have been mostly hidden again! i have a pic but dont see how to post it any hints and advice would be appreciated!

When you click to post, below the typing box is another one. Theres a button that says manage attachment. Click it. In the popup box, click browse and find the picture you want. (Helps to have a unique file name or your initials or something). Then click upload. When it's done uploading you be back at the post window. MAKE SURE you click the submit reply button that's BELOW the attachments box. All done ;) Hopefully I didn't miss any steps ;)