Scents you love that the public hated!

Fire and Ice

Have you ever bought a scent that you simply loved or thought the public would go crazy over just to have them totally reject it? A scent you would swoon for but the public scowl at when they smell it; looking at you like you're out of you mind for making candles or soap from that scent?

Draakar was one of those for me. Thought is was okay for a masculan scent and thought the women would love it. WRONG!

Musk was another of these. I didn't love it but I thought the public would. Never happened.

The testers enjoyed them but nobody else did.:embarasse

PS~ I love all of the new smileies!

I just can't stand leather lol. I can't stand the baby powder stuff either, but anything else seems to be OK. Couldn't tell you about scents the public hates. We've been to a variety of places and each have their favs. So far no two places have had the same results in picking scents. lately people have been matching colors instead of selecting scents.

Everybody thinks the Leather is so Coooooool....but nobody buys. I thought Fig would be a good one, and I haven't sold anything since I received it. I had Campfire Smoke sitting around for a long time till I marketed it to Campers for fire starters. Grapefruit is incredible, but it burns some customers sinuses. Had customers begging for Lilac...once I got it, couldn't find those customers that wanted it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized by reading these how rude people are. How could you turn up your face at a candle when the maker is sitting right there? Most scents that I like a lot people hate. I love Red Currant and Patchouli. I like them because they remind me of something even though I cant remember what? Ever have that? And I despise bakery scents, but everybody else just loves them.

I had a sample of Peaks Leather. Since I have horses and lots of friends with horses I thought it would be cool to make soy candles with the leather FO and give them as gifts. Yuckyy, icky, poopoo. I thought it smelled really bad in a candle. I have given thought to making a spray for the truck with it :rolleyes2

Our constant stinkipoo is BCN's A Northwood Christmas -- smells like pipe tobacco and green olives to me and haven't seen anyone who has looked at it not turn their noses up either.

I just realized by reading these how rude people are. How could you turn up your face at a candle when the maker is sitting right there?

Cuz they don't care lol, but there are sellers out there who are much worse than any buyer. The best kind are those who bring their own brochures into another booth to peddle their product. So don't think potential buyers are rude, because many sellers are worse.

Everybody thinks the Leather is so Coooooool....but nobody buys. I thought Fig would be a good one, and I haven't sold anything since I received it. I had Campfire Smoke sitting around for a long time till I marketed it to Campers for fire starters. Grapefruit is incredible, but it burns some customers sinuses. Had customers begging for Lilac...once I got it, couldn't find those customers that wanted it.

Where did you get it! I am still on the hunt for a campfire/burning wood scent!!!!!!! Where Where Where?????:D

I had a sample of Peaks Leather. Since I have horses and lots of friends with horses I thought it would be cool to make soy candles with the leather FO and give them as gifts. Yuckyy, icky, poopoo. I thought it smelled really bad in a candle. I have given thought to making a spray for the truck with it :rolleyes2

I thought it was pretty cool when I made my leather candles too. (bought from Royal Aromatics - it really does smell like leather to me.) But one of my friends picked it up and said what's this burned rubber? :laugh2: I started to reconsider if I should make more of these.

I smelled the Red Currents from Peaks and I truely coun't stand it It was in a sample kit.

I am allergic to rose scent and I always have some old ladies enter my booth and ask why I don't make rose candles.:lipsrseal They say they'll buy the whole pour if I'll make them and I just explain that the hives and being physically ill for a week isn't worth any amount of money!:undecided

I think that the bakery thing is being done to death...and some of them are so similar that you can hardly tell the difference. The NAMES have ALOT to do with the sale in my opinion. The Creme Brulee FO is not really that different than what we have smelled before as something else.....but when it came out as CB it flew off the shelves. I cant remember now what it is that it smells like, but not new.

I can hardly be in the same room with some of the sickening sweet "berry" scents.